What is wrong with self portraits/selfies ?

Gneisenau

Just now, lessthanluke said:

I just use it to send/recieve stupid videos.

Oh yeah, she does that too. Forgot about that. With the crazy effects and all that. But mostly, she just uses it as an instant messenger, which I just don't get.

Theda,

Sort of like the difference between twitter and an actual blog?  One is short declaratory statements the other is fully formed thoughts?

It doesn't make the first bad, but in my opinion, the second is better. For the record I don't care for and have only used Twitter once.  That was to look for power outage updates during the severe flooding in Columbia back in October.

47 minutes ago, lessthanluke said:

I have zero interest in skype. Sending a message to a friend with a picture of face though I enjoy.

Same I never use skype haha It's still just online and talking to a friend with face tho at least in snapchat you can just send silly faces and talk at the same time hahahaah i dont really use snapchat at all either tho i dont understand it much I might use it more now that i have awesome hair haha

Self portraits are as old as photography, not a fad. The only thing that's changed is the ease of taking them, which can be said of photos generally as well.

Scot your opinions on these things, both selfies and now twitter, come across as stronger than mere aesthetic opinion and disinterest in them. In the case of twitter you see it's only purpose as an inferior version of blogging, despite the one time you used it reflecting one of its other uses - essentially crowd sourced real time news. I started using it during the Wendy Davis filibuster for that reason, but it's so much more than that. The fact you don't see the use or appeal says nothing more than that - it doesn't appeal to you (which is fine).

Yes self portraits are as old as photography. But, selfies have become a thing since the advent of the cellphone. IMHO, a selfie isn't what I would consider a self portrait anyways. Would you hold a phone up, snap a pic and then frame that and hang it on your wall? No? Didn't think so. The "selfie" is a phenomenon in and of itself. And nothing is wrong with them, I just don't partake in them myself.

28 minutes ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

Yes self portraits are as old as photography. But, selfies have become a thing since the advent of the cellphone. IMHO, a selfie isn't what I would consider a self portrait anyways. Would you hold a phone up, snap a pic and then frame that and hang it on your wall? No? Didn't think so. The "selfie" is a phenomenon in and of itself. And nothing is wrong with them, I just don't partake in them myself.

You clearly haven't been in many homes.  Selfie framed photography is pretty damn common.  Just google it.  Even me, someone who despises selfie culture, has several framed photos in my house that were taken selfie style with a phone.  

4 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

You clearly haven't been in many homes.  Selfie framed photography is pretty damn common.  Just google it.  Even me, someone who despises selfie culture, has several framed photos in my house that were taken selfie style with a phone.  

Well I've been in many homes, I think. I've never seen what I consider a selfie, framed and on a wall.

I have never used snapchat, but I was under the impression that you cannot talk through it like you can through skype. You can just send pictures, but not voice, right?

I use skype like the phone, the sense is not for people to see my face, but to hear what I have to say.

Correct me if I am wrong, I am very backwards with all those new forms of communication (do not have a smartphone and do not feel any need for it for as long as my current phone works fine).

Archived