Whom would you most like to smack for sheer stupidity

LadyoftheNorth72

Rob Stark. Started a war he couldn't finish. Trusted all the wrong people. Failed to keep his promise to the man who bulked out his army. 

Sansa Stark but it's not really her fault people filled her head with fairy tales.

Bowen Marsh - a slap wouldn't cut it though. It'd have to be a hard kick square in the balls at least.  

3 hours ago, Sullen said:

Cat is pretty shrewd though, I'd say her only disastrous action was the Catnapping.

Following that event, pretty much every she says and does is sensible, even arguably freeing Jaime. She becomes the voice of reason in Robb's camp.

EDIT: She is kind of smug, though. I agree.

That's a joke, right? Please tell me that's a joke.

Post taking Tyrion: 

Cat hands Tyrion over to her sister, even after her uncle warned her she is not all there. She loses a hostage in the middle of a war. Forget about warning Ned, or warning her dad and brother, forget about going right for the capital to see Robert and demand from Littlefinger that he tell the king and council that he lost the attempted murder weapon to Tyrion, she goes for a fake trial and loses when freaking Lisa was being the rational actor and actually gave the guy a fair trial without having heared the single witness that Cat knows of...

Cat suggests to Robb to hold off at Moat Cailin, considering it is a good defensive position. This is idiotic not only because Robb cannot sustain his host there, but because she is advocating giving up trying to rescue Ned, abandoning the Riverlands to the Lannister invasion (that she was the direct cause of), and started giving her 15 year old son war advices such as that he might have given the command of the army to a castellan of a garrison or to the Greyjoy hostage...

At the Twins Cat agrees to any and all demands from Frey. She brings literally nothing to the table aside from being a possible hostage if Frey was going to go over to the Lannisters. 

At Riverrun she later offers peace with the Lannisters. On top of not getting revenge, that is either leaving the Lannisters a quite front to win in the south, or making enemies of Renly for bending to the Lannisters. Not the worst offer thrown around there, but hardly the best.

In ACOK Cat offers to make a deal with Renly. She butched it, bad. Not only was she about to leave with Renly's demande for Robb to give up his crown or suffer the fate of a common rebel, she managed to pick the single worst thing to do and grab Brienne with her as she fled the scene. Instead of either trying to reason with the lords there, or to ditch Brienne and make either a deal with Stannis or with the Tyrells in Bittebridge, she makes herself and the North the clear suspects, thus greatly aiding Stannis but without getting the benefit of an alliance of even cooperation.

She then gets to Riverrun where she right off the bat again tries to meddle with the war planning. In her view Tywin getting a free pass through the Riverlands and going over to fight Robb in his own home with at least 5 times Robb's numbers is clearly the better option than to confront Tywin with only 1-2 ration and on favourable grounds. After she hears that Robb ordered him to guard his rear...

She later frees Jaime. Let's get this clear, this is after she knows that Tyrion had just sent false envoys to liberate him. She has zero reason to trust his word. She then get's pissed off at Edmure for trying to catch Jaime, after he tells her that she never had a chance in hell because even if the lying dwarf meant it, he no longer holds any power and she just gave up the only card they have... again.

Cat then confronts Robb to go back North after he had just told her that the Lannisters and the Tyrells will shortly take the field against him. She tells him to go North, where the Ironborn have the total of 2 insignificant castles (which were already being taken care of by local forces), or he is no true king... Not a word about the Wall or the Wildlings (which should have arrived well before this), not a word about what the fuck are the Riverlands going to do when Robb takes half thier forces north, not a word about winter making it impossible for him to return anytime soon (remember that Roose was not even delayed at Moat Cailin and still gets snowed in), not a word about how freaking impossible it would be to retake the Riverlands, which would be run over in the meantime... No, they must make a deal with Frey again, give him anything he wants, insist on the childish bread and salt as if it has the magical property of saving them from dumb decisions, and then she dies.

Sorry, Cat's streak of bad council and dumb decisions does not get a pass because she suddenly remembered that the Greyjoys are not to be trusted, after she gave them so much credit that Theon was a legitimate offer to lead the Northern army.

1 Viserys: "I dont wanna stay in Pentos, I wanna join the khalasaar!" *smack*

2 Viserys: "These savages smell like manure!" *smack*

3 Viserys: "I wanna play with swords in Vaes Dothrak!" *smack*

4 Robb: "I wanna marry Jeyne!" *smack*

5 King Robert: "Get her a dog and she'll be happier for it!" *double-smack*

I am loving all of these, it's very cathartic. Going back a little further:

"RHAEGAR TARGARYEN!!! I know your psychotic paranoid pyro of an all-powerful dad is in there listening (and maybe there's a good chance you're not), so what!. Come on outside, where the stated intention of me and my buddies is to make you into a Targ Pie! Yeah, you, the heir to the throne, I'm calling you out for everyone to hear, chicken!  You should have a three headed chicken as your sigil, you jerk!"

Ned. 

as much as I love the man he needed a good fucking slap many a time. He just wasn't smart enough for Kings landing and all its shit, he should've listened to Renly to. And that shite with killing Lady really annoyed the fuck outta me. 

Sansa also deserves a slap actually for the complete lack of anything in her POV's that resembles remorse at her bullshit story involving Arya, Joffrey and Mycah. And I can't remember her being sad much over Lady's death. That would've broke my damn heart.

Cat aswell. She messed so much stuff up a slap would've done her good to. 

Gosh... which of the characters didn't need a 'get your act together' slap at some point?

Ned - definitely needed one in King's Landing (much as I love him)

Tyrion - "where do whores go?" - come on! It's time to get it together. and stop thinking about raping your sister!

Jaime - what are you doing with your insane sister? - thankfully he's figured that out without the slap!

Catelyn - for kidnapping Tyrion and then handling that how she does

Cersei - for just about everything she does... lol but I wouldn't slap her because watching her fail is too much fun

Robb - for Jeyne, and also for Theon

Theon - for making it so that Robb needed an extra slap! 

etc. etc. etc. 

Outside of the pov characters though: definitely Lysa!! For being crazy in general, and mostly for listening to Littlefinger and poisoning her husband! She's basically started this whole thing by being gullible and thinking that sociopath cared for her!

Renly is the one that winds me up the most.

Robb, Ned and Cat all effed up, but at least they were doing what they thought was right.

Renly basically lets the Lannister coup succeed when he (after ditching Ned) starts his ruck with Stannis.

He knows Stannis (his own brother) is the rightful heir but decides to try usurp him basically because people like him more.  It's dumb and I doubt Renly really thinks he's doing the right thing.

He'd probably have even inherited over Shireen in time (Stannis hints as much) but he chooses to start a civil war among his own family, let thousands die and allow his enemies win because 'why not, might be fun.'

I'm not a major Stannis fan and I liked Renly in AGOT but a lot of crap happens because of his decision - so he deserves his stupidity slap.

45 minutes ago, Ser Ilyn's Tongue said:

Renly is the one that winds me up the most.

Robb, Ned and Cat all effed up, but at least they were doing what they thought was right.

Renly basically lets the Lannister coup succeed when he (after ditching Ned) starts his ruck with Stannis.

He knows Stannis (his own brother) is the rightful heir but decides to try usurp him basically because people like him more.  It's dumb and I doubt Renly really thinks he's doing the right thing.

He'd probably have even inherited over Shireen in time (Stannis hints as much) but he chooses to start a civil war among his own family, let thousands die and allow his enemies win because 'why not, might be fun.'

I'm not a major Stannis fan and I liked Renly in AGOT but a lot of crap happens because of his decision - so he deserves his stupidity slap.

I can't believe I'm doing this again, but... Renly did not know Stannis was the rightful heir when he married Margaery and rebelled against Joffrey. Renly believed Joffrey to be the rightful son of Robert. Stannis took too long to send his letter and offered no proof. Renly probably didn't believe him and by that point, it was too late to change things. If Renly hadn't crowned himself and had supported Stannis from the first, the Tyrells would have joined the Lannisters sooner. If anyone's to blame for the state of House Baratheon, it's Stannis.

And I don't even like Renly, and do like Stannis.

When Renly and Stannis meet for their parley, I was like Catelyn;  I kept wanting to smack their heads together.  They were both acting like little children.

Practically everything Cersei does in Feast made we want to reach through the book and throttle her.  I will completely understand when the valonqar does it instead.

Ned, lots and lots of times.

No, Ned, dismissing your daughter's words about conspiracy against you is not a good idea.

No, Ned, telling Cersei about the fact that you know about her treason and plan to tell the king about it is not a good idea.

No, Ned, telling a pissed off Jaime that Tyrion was captured on your orders was not a good idea.

No, Ned dismissing Renly's plan was not a good idea.

No, Ned, trusting Littlefinger, when he says not to trust him and flat out states that he isn't fond of Ned's plans is not a good idea.

And Ned, after you tell Cersei that you are going to make her lose everything, Cersei doesn't run away not because she is stupid, but because the she plans to fight you back.

I love Ned, I really do. But he should have stayed in Winterfell. That was his place. 

Archived