New Star Trek Series on CBS

Werthead

16 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

Probably old news to the diehard Trek fans, but I stumbled across this novel during my TOS rewatch, in which the corpse of Kirk, reanimated by a Borg/Romulan alliance, is sent to kill Jean-Luc Picard. :D

Ah, Bill.

Oh yeah...and the five, I think, other novels he had after that...even those are given a special.place outside even book continuity and canon...

Kirk is the ultimate super man in Shatner's mind...

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/08/2016 at 4:25 PM, SpaceChampion said:

AICN has more news on STD:

* The main protagonist will be called Number One for most of this season, but we will eventually learn her name.

The "number one" thing sounds lame - I'd hate to work with someone going by that name. Tell me your real name FFS! It still sounds black-ops ish to me as that seems like the only scenario where codenames make sense. The first thing that came into my head was Picard and Riker - it at least confirms the main character isn't the captain. But it wasn't like Riker was only ever called "number one".

The rest of the news is more interesting though. I'm surprised CBS hasn't told Fuller to shut up about only wanting to do 10 episodes not 13. It just seems to be handing "filler/fuller" comments on a plate to fans who like to complain about seasons being too long.

The other thing I'm always struck by is how late these things go into production. Given casting won't stay secret for long it means they won't be filming until October which doesn't seem long to me for a January start date. I guess this is still the model for network TV while cable and netflix tend to go for more leadtime so the season is in the bag before it airs (obviously this has to be the case for netflix). It's probably part of the reason why Fuller doesn't want it more than 10 episodes. I'm still curious as to how much this will be Fuller. Part of me hopes it's more "trek" than "Fuller" as his work is pretty distinctive these days. I'd much rather his influence is clear on his other show "American Gods" (and I get the impression that's more his baby). Trek by the mixture of producers seems to have the intention of being a melting pot of some of the best talent involved in trek over the years (they only seem to be missing RDMoore)

10 hours ago, red snow said:

The "number one" thing sounds lame - I'd hate to work with someone going by that name. Tell me your real name FFS! It still sounds black-ops ish to me as that seems like the only scenario where codenames make sense. The first thing that came into my head was Picard and Riker - it at least confirms the main character isn't the captain. But it wasn't like Riker was only ever called "number one".

I agree. I'm also concerned there's gonna be some lame reveal where we finally learn her last name and it's a name we know from one of the existing series. 

53 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I agree. I'm also concerned there's gonna be some lame reveal where we finally learn her last name and it's a name we know from one of the existing series. 

I hadn't contemplated that but you're right. Even more dubious. Maybe that's why Fuller only wants 10 episodes so as not to draw that out even further.

Hopefully it's just a place-holder until cast and then they'll tell us who it is and we can all move on.

11 hours ago, red snow said:

Fuller says it is a homage to the original Star Trek pilot, in that case it was Majel Barrett's First Officer who was referred to by that name, so I don't think it necessarily implies Section 31 or something like that.

22 minutes ago, williamjm said:

Fuller says it is a homage to the original Star Trek pilot, in that case it was Majel Barrett's First Officer who was referred to by that name, so I don't think it necessarily implies Section 31 or something like that.

I can't remember the pilot in detail but I'm sure the character wasn't only ever referred to as "number one" outside the appearance in "the cage". I get that it's a tribute but if the character is only ever referred to as "number one" it just feels like it will be forced to maintain that anonymity for the whole season when she is supposedly the lead. I'm thinking about 12 episodes of next gen where no-one calls Riker anything than "number one" and think it would be odd.

It would be funny if that's exactly who the character is though - the first officer of Pike. A season long non-mystery :)

And besides only the captain would call her Number One. The officers of lower rank would probably call her "Commander" but I would be surprised if her name wouldn't sneak in there. And what about characters who know her outside of the ship? Family, friends, and others all important for fleshing out a protagonist.

3 minutes ago, red snow said:

I get that it's a tribute but if the character is only ever referred to as "number one" it just feels like it will be forced to maintain that anonymity for the whole season when she is supposedly the lead.

It would get a bit silly if it took that long. Fuller's quote isn't specifying how much of the season it's going to take, so it's difficult to know whether that is the case.

I just realised that Fuller's other upcoming show is based on a book where the protagonist's real name is only officially confirmed in a spin-off short story sequel. Maybe he likes the trope?

22 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

And besides only the captain would call her Number One. The officers of lower rank would probably call her "Commander" but I would be surprised if her name would sneak in there. And what about characters who know her outside of the ship? Family, friends, and others all important for fleshing out a protagonist.

Troi regularly called Riker by his first name Will.

6 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Troi regularly called Riker by his first name Will.

Yes, indeed. Plus outside of duty hours, officers do ten to call each other by their names. It would be weird for this character to hang in whatever break room the Discovery has playing cards with fellow officers, and to hear "Number One, are you in or out?"

I'm not so sure. I could be wrong, but I seem to recall that even when sitting around playing poker, Geordi, Data and co would still call him "Commander".

It was really only Deanna that called him "Will" - and that was due to their past relationship (similar to how Beverly was the only one to ever really call the Captain "Jean-Luc"). Picard probably called him Will a couple of times, after a few seasons once their friendship had grown.

I guess my point is we'll definitely notice the fact that we never hear her name. But I'm not sure it will come across as unnatural/unusual in-universe.

3 hours ago, red snow said:

I can't remember the pilot in detail but I'm sure the character wasn't only ever referred to as "number one" outside the appearance in "the cage". I get that it's a tribute but if the character is only ever referred to as "number one" it just feels like it will be forced to maintain that anonymity for the whole season when she is supposedly the lead. I'm thinking about 12 episodes of next gen where no-one calls Riker anything than "number one" and think it would be odd.

It would be funny if that's exactly who the character is though - the first officer of Pike. A season long non-mystery :)

Majel Barrett's "Number One" only appeared in the pilot, unless you count "The Menagerie" as well which reused footage of the pilot. She was only called Number One and I believe if her character had gone on to the regular series no one was supposed to know her name or at least not say it and only call her Number One.

1 hour ago, AndrewJ said:

I'm not so sure. I could be wrong, but I seem to recall that even when sitting around playing poker, Geordi, Data and co would still call him "Commander".

It was really only Deanna that called him "Will" - and that was due to their past relationship (similar to how Beverly was the only one to ever really call the Captain "Jean-Luc"). Picard probably called him Will a couple of times, after a few seasons once their friendship had grown.

I guess my point is we'll definitely notice the fact that we never hear her name. But I'm not sure it will come across as unnatural/unusual in-universe.

It's not just TNG I'm thinking of. In DS9, O'Brien often calls Bashir by his first name, even though Bashir outranks him. Jadzia did the same with a bunch of people. 

I'm saying if there are more than just professional relationships between crew members shown in this one, then we should learn Number One's real name fairly quickly.

That "if" is pretty important, though. First names get used after close relationships have developed (including in the case of O'Brien and Bashir - O'Brien couldn't stand him at first).

If "Number One" has only been posted to the ship recently, it would be fairly normal that her crew mates refer to her by rank (though fairly abnormal that a TV show doesn't reveal the characters name, admittedly. It's just not necessarily silly that the rest of the crew aren't using her name).

But yeah... it would get old fast if it drags out for too long.

8 hours ago, williamjm said:

It would get a bit silly if it took that long. Fuller's quote isn't specifying how much of the season it's going to take, so it's difficult to know whether that is the case.

I just realised that Fuller's other upcoming show is based on a book where the protagonist's real name is only officially confirmed in a spin-off short story sequel. Maybe he likes the trope?

It wouldn't be the first time AICN has crossed wires from interviews. Weren't they convinced this was going to be about a romulan/klingon/human collaboration ship a few months ago. And an anthology and set between end of original series films and Next gen?

5 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

Perhaps she'll spend a great deal of time undercover on an away mission; or most of the crew is dead so there is no one to call her anything.

that would work. Or she's a time-lord. That usually works and everyone rolls with it.

4 hours ago, AndrewJ said:

That "if" is pretty important, though. First names get used after close relationships have developed (including in the case of O'Brien and Bashir - O'Brien couldn't stand him at first).

If "Number One" has only been posted to the ship recently, it would be fairly normal that her crew mates refer to her by rank (though fairly abnormal that a TV show doesn't reveal the characters name, admittedly. It's just not necessarily silly that the rest of the crew aren't using her name).

But yeah... it would get old fast if it drags out for too long.

it doesn't need to be a first name - a surname would suffice. Unless her surname is also "numberone" it would still be odd to never be mentioned by name. Maybe she comes from a long line of first officers?

5 hours ago, drawkcabi said:

Majel Barrett's "Number One" only appeared in the pilot, unless you count "The Menagerie" as well which reused footage of the pilot. She was only called Number One and I believe if her character had gone on to the regular series no one was supposed to know her name or at least not say it and only call her Number One.

That adds fuel to the possibility this is the same character in the new show.

Did they ever specify why no-one was supposed to know her name in the original show? Or is this maybe just a legend that appeared around the show over time?

Maybe the new show should roll with this and have a character that is only ever referred to as "Redshirt"? And a character that's only known as "ensign".

6 hours ago, red snow said:

It wouldn't be the first time AICN has crossed wires from interviews. Weren't they convinced this was going to be about a romulan/klingon/human collaboration ship a few months ago. And an anthology and set between end of original series films and Next gen?

that would work. Or she's a time-lord. That usually works and everyone rolls with it.

it doesn't need to be a first name - a surname would suffice. Unless her surname is also "numberone" it would still be odd to never be mentioned by name. Maybe she comes from a long line of first officers?

That adds fuel to the possibility this is the same character in the new show.

Did they ever specify why no-one was supposed to know her name in the original show? Or is this maybe just a legend that appeared around the show over time?

Maybe the new show should roll with this and have a character that is only ever referred to as "Redshirt"? And a character that's only known as "ensign".

She was "Number One" in the unaired pilot so I imagine they would have gotten to it. I can't imagine a network allowing that for too long back then. Assuming that they would have allowed a woman in that role. 

12 hours ago, drawkcabi said:

That's the contrivance in anything post Original Series...anything that used Number One after, the Marvel Comic series in the 90s comes to mind, she was still just Number One.

Of course the character can be Number One a day still be referred to by rank by lower ranked crew.  Though I agree it would get old, but from the first I made the assumption that they were using it as a contrivance for a tie in reveal.  

Archived