Dear Board : A thread for small things not worthy of a thread of their own.

Friday I cut the Gordian knot of my cell phone's screen's dead spot by smashing the entire face of it.  Got a new phone and even though the jamokes at the store said that my data would be lost since the screen was now inoperable, I was able to get a micro USB adapter and plug in a mouse to the old phone to set up a blue tooth pairing with my new phone.  So that's all taken care of.

Regret.

I don't indulge much in regret but of course I do sometimes.  When caught in a stupid auto fender bender I think 'if only I hadn't been on that particular piece of road at exactly the wrong time' etc.

The biggest 'mistake' of my life I don't actually regret because if you put me in the same situation, with the same knowledge and feelings, I would do it again.  I wouldn't be able to help myself.

I have a new friend in the 'getting to know each other' phase and all of his stories seem to revolve around the things he could have done, the opportunities he had and squandered.  I wish I could ask him 'but do you actually regret not doing that?' but we haven't achieved that level of intimacy yet.

So what do you do?  How do you feel?  Do you thumb through a list of regrets on a regular basis?  Is there any value to regret? 

My impression is that we are hardwired either from nature or nurture on our level of regret and there's nothing much we can do about it.  Nobody could make me feel more regret and nobody could make you feel less regret.

Tell your stories about regret and whether it helps or hurts.

I had a bad cold last week, and expected my gym sessions to be hell. They weren't! I didn't just feel okay, I felt great! I didn't understand it, but I sure as hell wasn't complaining - maybe the adrenalin or the endorphins were somehow helping with my cold? Then this week, my cold is a lot better but my last couple of gym sessions have been really sub-par. I was wondering how I could be feeling better generally and yet feeling and performing worse at the gym. Was it a delayed reaction, or was I somehow sicker than I thought, or...?

And then it occurred to me that because I've been feeling better, I haven't been taking cold & flu tablets. I have to show my driver's license to get my preferred brand of tablets, and the reason I have to do that is because it contains pseudoephedrine. That's why I felt so weirdly great last week, and why I'm suddenly feeling my cold during training now.

TLDR: I've been unintentionally doping at the gym and it felt awesome :P

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw Tormund Giantsbane on a hotel rewards commercial.  I'm speechless.  Worlds colliding!  What a brilliant move on the part of the hotel chain, cuz I saw the commercial once, and I remember it.

On 7/11/2016 at 1:25 PM, Arkhangel said:

I have to do that is because it contains pseudoephedrine.

I took that stuff for about two days - I had an awful flu one week and had very long work hours that week, it made me feel *very* strange. Even though I stopped coughing/ having a runny nose, it wasn't worth it. I went off it and braved the cold for the week instead. I don't know what it is about pseudoephedrine, but I'm not taking it again! 

On 7/23/2016 at 9:48 PM, R'hllors Red Lobster said:

is it a sign that I'm finally getting old when I drink a quart of coffee at 7pm and can't fall asleep, or a sign of my indominatable youthfulness that I don't have to go to sleep just because it's 1am?

Yes, it is.

I just went to put on a T-shirt that I wore for a couple of hours yesterday, thinking it was still more than clean enough for another wear, and found a blood stain on the inside left side, right about rib level. I have no idea what happened, I actually went and double-checked in the mirror that I hadn't somehow cut myself and not noticed. There's no cut or anything, but it's definitely blood on the shirt. I live alone, so there's no way that someone else could have borrowed it (plus wtf kind of person borrows a shirt, bleeds on it and then puts it back without saying anything?). I'm totally baffled.

9 hours ago, Arkhangel said:

I just went to put on a T-shirt that I wore for a couple of hours yesterday, thinking it was still more than clean enough for another wear, and found a blood stain on the inside left side, right about rib level. I have no idea what happened, I actually went and double-checked in the mirror that I hadn't somehow cut myself and not noticed. There's no cut or anything, but it's definitely blood on the shirt. I live alone, so there's no way that someone else could have borrowed it (plus wtf kind of person borrows a shirt, bleeds on it and then puts it back without saying anything?). I'm totally baffled.

You're obviously a werewolf.

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 11:22 PM, Raja said:

I took that stuff for about two days - I had an awful flu one week and had very long work hours that week, it made me feel *very* strange. Even though I stopped coughing/ having a runny nose, it wasn't worth it. I went off it and braved the cold for the week instead. I don't know what it is about pseudoephedrine, but I'm not taking it again! 

I had that problem with it for the loooongest time.   I hated that fuzzy feeling so much that I much preferred feeling all stopped up.  Then I **had** to take it around a year and a half ago - no more fuzzy feeling.  Strange.

And I can't stand having to show my driver's license when buying cold pills.  It raises my blood pressure (I think) each time it happens and I feel like telling off the clerk, but I come to my senses and just stew about it in silence. 

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 1:19 AM, litechick said:

Regret.

I don't indulge much in regret but of course I do sometimes.  When caught in a stupid auto fender bender I think 'if only I hadn't been on that particular piece of road at exactly the wrong time' etc.

The biggest 'mistake' of my life I don't actually regret because if you put me in the same situation, with the same knowledge and feelings, I would do it again.  I wouldn't be able to help myself.

I have a new friend in the 'getting to know each other' phase and all of his stories seem to revolve around the things he could have done, the opportunities he had and squandered.  I wish I could ask him 'but do you actually regret not doing that?' but we haven't achieved that level of intimacy yet.

So what do you do?  How do you feel?  Do you thumb through a list of regrets on a regular basis?  Is there any value to regret? 

My impression is that we are hardwired either from nature or nurture on our level of regret and there's nothing much we can do about it.  Nobody could make me feel more regret and nobody could make you feel less regret.

Tell your stories about regret and whether it helps or hurts.

I think regret **can** be a good thing, especially if it makes you alter your future behavior so that the regretted action never occurs again.  In other situations, like a one-time occurrence that you know will never come up again, it's a pretty useless emotion.  I guess with this latter example I'm thinking about auditioning for this singing group and making a TOTAL ASS out of myself.  I don't regret it, because it makes for a pretty funny story to retell.  :lol: 

There was one situation where I slept with this douchebag for no good reason, but because I didn't know how to get out of it so I figured I may as well go through with it.  Sigh.  Lousy sex too.  I cringed about that one for a long while.  Do I regret that one?  Sorta, so it fits the "good thing" example of regret.

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 10:51 AM, The Mance said:

I learned how to pick a lock with a paperclip today.  It was astonishingly easy.  Got it on my first try after about 8 seconds of twiddling.  

So far I've only used my new powers to remove a lock core from the Yakima roof rack on my camper shell so I can order a new set of keys.  But now I'm almost afraid to try my hand at actual deadbolt/security/padlock type locks for which the same techniques should apply.

This is a skill I've always wanted.  Not because I wanted to use it for nefarious purposes, of course.

:leaving: 

Telling on myself over here.  I'm slowly working on a looooooong "throw stuff out" home decluttering.  The dog has developed a brand new habit of blocking the damn door all day long.  This is very annoying as I need to use the door approximately every 15 minutes.  

We are now playing "chase the dog out of the doorway with the vacuum".  I swear I didn't start it on purpose.

22 hours ago, Lily Valley said:

Telling on myself over here.  I'm slowly working on a looooooong "throw stuff out" home decluttering.  The dog has developed a brand new habit of blocking the damn door all day long.  This is very annoying as I need to use the door approximately every 15 minutes.  

We are now playing "chase the dog out of the doorway with the vacuum".  I swear I didn't start it on purpose.

My dogs view every vacuum cleaner on earth as the evil-noisy-creature-that-must-be-destroyed.  After they had vanquished my previous vacuum last year, the new one was still in the box, THE BOX, sitting in the living room, and they started growling and trying to kill it.  I have to lock them in another room before I even pull the thing out of the closet.

On 7/28/2016 at 4:42 AM, Tears of Lys said:

And I can't stand having to show my driver's license when buying cold pills

Interesting fact - they wouldn't sell me Pseudoephedrine even with my passport - apparently, CVS can't sell it to foreigners as they can't keep track of how many you've bought that day or over that week. The only way to get it is to get someone with a US driver's licence to buy it for you. 

I just realized how much I love pie charts. I made a pie chart the other day detailing how many sims in my almost 30-generation long family had which hair colour. Now I've created a survey for a school assignment where the answers are given to me in pie chart form by Google, and seeing how the charts get divided into smaller pieces based on people's answers (especially when there are more than two different ones for the same question) is really satisfying.

Caramel Bugles

Holy fuck.

I've never tried crack, but I can't imagine crack being more addictive than these.

Every time....every freaking time...I open a bag and say I'm only going to have a few and before I know it they are all gone.

A new evil decadence has been created and I'm powerless to resist. :o 

I dont know if this is the right place to put this, but its been on my mind for a few weeks and I want to issue a general warning to anyone that could be affected similarly. Anyways this seems as well as anywhere to broach the subject so here it is.

Dont let yourself or anyone you know, get on Adderall. If you are on Adderall, get off it immediately.

We just unexpectedely buried a close relative who was doing reasonably well in life (middle aged, beautiful wife and kids, owned a sucessful small business, nice house, new boat). His wife told me at the memorial service that she believes Adderall did him in. Saying something to the effect that he got on a prescription of the stuff and went into a depressed downward spiral and didnt come out of it and inexplicably to the survivors, took his own life.

To my knowledge this relative didnt have any history of mental illness, no financial problems, a great family at home. I was (am still) quite shocked. After the wifes comment about Adderall, I did some reading online (I was really not too familiar with the drug) turns out there are several forums, self help groups and a whole cottage network for people and survivors that have (or are currently) suffered addiction, suicidal tendencies from this drug. Scary stuff, stay the fuck away from this drug. Dont try it, dont let anyone you know try it. This downward spiral happened within only a few months to a seemingly well adjusted family.

On 7/19/2016 at 9:22 PM, Ded As Ned said:

I just saw Tormund Giantsbane on a hotel rewards commercial.  I'm speechless.  Worlds colliding!  What a brilliant move on the part of the hotel chain, cuz I saw the commercial once, and I remember it.

He looks like he's having so much fun in them too!

On 8/7/2016 at 10:08 AM, DireWolfSpirit said:

I dont know if this is the right place to put this, but its been on my mind for a few weeks and I want to issue a general warning to anyone that could be affected similarly. Anyways this seems as well as anywhere to broach the subject so here it is.

Dont let yourself or anyone you know, get on Adderall. If you are on Adderall, get off it immediately.

We just unexpectedely buried a close relative who was doing reasonably well in life (middle aged, beautiful wife and kids, owned a sucessful small business, nice house, new boat). His wife told me at the memorial service that she believes Adderall did him in. Saying something to the effect that he got on a subscription of the stuff and went into a depressed downward spiral and didnt come out of it and inexplicably to the survivors, took his own life.

To my knowledge this relative didnt have any history of mental illness, no financial problems, a great family at home. I was (am still) quite shocked. After the wifes comment about Adderall, I did some reading online (I was really not too familiar with the drug) turns out there are several forums, self help groups and a whole cottage network for people and survivors that have (or are currently) suffered addiction, suicidal tendencies from this drug. Scary stuff, stay the fuck away from this drug. Dont try it, dont let anyone you know try it. This downward spiral happened within only a few months to a seemingly well adjusted family.

I'm sorry for your loss :(

Adderall has been fucking with people for at least 15 years, probably more.  It's the devil.

Archived