To Hell With you 2016!!!

drawkcabi

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

But positing any form of government as an "endpoint" or "culmination" shows a fundamental misunderstanding of evolution which only posits change.  There is no "direction" to it.

Thank you for posting this Scott.  This is the second most common misconception of Evolution.

Did this thread reduce itself to lawyer talk in less than two pages?

THE HELL!  The year 2000 was the last year I can remember being as hard as this one.  This year is hard due to serious fatigue, and not new (to me) trauma.  2000 was a year of deaths and divorces.  This year can suck a bag of dicks.  I am so sick of our healthcare system I could power a whole city with my fury.  I am sure I am not alone here.  Also, eff Louisiana and eff THIS YEAR.

The autumn of 2001 was really messed up, not just from a US perspective, but especially for Switzerland. 2005 was dominated by a lot of natural disasters, I don't really remember any major man-made events, unless you want to count the incompetence involved in rescuing people from Katrina. 2016 hasn't even come close to any of the years mentioned in the OP, it's just more of the same we saw in the last couple of years with terrorism, the Middle East escalating further, the EU falling apart, etc. But none of those things started this year, so people probably won't look back at 2016 as an especially horrific year, unless some major catastrophy happens in the second half.

• 3 months later...

From a personal perspective, it was a very unpleasant year, but the reasons for it are specific to my family. From a national or global perspective, I'm not sure why you think this year is bad: regardless of today's outcome (and it is far from being decided), there's no reason why things should be better rather than worse in 2017, 2018, etc.

So, from my own (admittedly relatively sheltered) viewpoint, so far 2016 has included:

• The deaths of several much-loved celebrities
  • Brexit
  • Chinese economic worries
  • Syria just getting worse
  • The far-right resurgent in Germany, France, and much of the rest of Europe
  • Turkey's coup attempt and the subsequent crackdown
  • A ton of natural disasters
  • European countries shamefully turning away thousands of deserving refugees
  • HALLOWEEN BEING ON A MONDAY!
  • President Donald Trump (oh shit we're doomed)

What have I missed?

18 minutes ago, Denvek said:

Are there any Cubs fans here? Would you trade the World Series for a different Election result?

That's perhaps the cruelest, most sadistic "would you" scenario I've ever heard, you sick bastard!

And that's saying a lot because I've played this game with Irishmen and Serbs.

On 7/12/2016 at 2:32 AM, Lily Valley said:

Did this thread reduce itself to lawyer talk in less than two pages?

THE HELL!  The year 2000 was the last year I can remember being as hard as this one.  This year is hard due to serious fatigue, and not new (to me) trauma.  2000 was a year of deaths and divorces.  This year can suck a bag of dicks.  I am so sick of our healthcare system I could power a whole city with my fury.  I am sure I am not alone here.  Also, eff Louisiana and eff THIS YEAR.

What's wrong with "Lawyer Talk"?  :P

Archived