To Hell With you 2016!!!

drawkcabi

• 2 weeks later...

2016 was the year my wife and I got married, moved into a big new house, found out she's pregnant, and had two awesome honeymoons. Politically it has not gone how I'd would have hoped, but shit like that goes up and down and me and most people have no control over it at all, so fuck it. :D

In that sad way it always does, the Christmas period once again proved a sad time for me, with a relative being rushed into hospital early hours Christmas morning. He has stabilised and the doctors said he should be okay. But damn, these kind of things always seem to happen at this time of year for my family :( 

On 12/13/2016 at 8:48 AM, Maester of Valyria said:

I mean, it's all very well us complaining about how awful 2016 has been, but Trump only gets inaugurated and Brexit only actually gets started in January and March respectively of 2017. We're all in for a truly terrible few years.

True, it's like 2016 is the warm up for some real bad shit.

4 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

In that sad way it always does, the Christmas period once again proved a sad time for me, with a relative being rushed into hospital early hours Christmas morning. He has stabilised and the doctors said he should be okay. But damn, these kind of things always seem to happen at this time of year for my family :( 

Sorry to hear, Helena. Hopefully he has a speedy recovery.

11 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

:grouphug: I hope he gets well soon.

9 hours ago, LongRider said:

True, it's like 2016 is the warm up for some real bad shit.

True, and what a scary thought that is... 

11 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Sorry to hear it, Helena. I wish him a speedy and smooth recovery! :grouphug:

This BBC analysis is interesting.

It states that there was a large spike at the start of the year but in the second half it's returned to more the "average" number of famous people passing away and them having to use pre-prepared obituaries.

This was from a few weeks ago, before both Rick Parfitt and George Michael passed away.

The rationale is pretty logical though: there were relatively few famous people around until the late 1950s, early 1960s, when we got this massive explosion of pop culture. There are thousands to tens of thousands of people around right now who are "famous" to an arguable degree. So now that we're 50-60 years on from that time period, people who were in their 20s and 30s when they became famous will of course be starting to pass away. There was also a massive amount of hard living in that time from people which makes it less likely they'd make it to a very old age.

On 12/26/2016 at 0:33 AM, HelenaExMachina said:

My thoughts and prayers are with you, dear...

4 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Thank you for the kind words folks.

Liz Smith also passed away, though in her case she was 95 so it wasn't so surprising, but still sad. I remember her as Nanna and Mrs. Cropley.

Very sorry for your loss. :(

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

Unfortunately, I fear 2016 is signaling the beginning of several years when the artists many people here grew up with will leave us. I hope 2017 will have a smaller number of deaths, but the heartbreak will come, nonetheless.

It's unlikely that we will lose as many cultural icons in 2017 as we did in 2016, but we're also going to get a huge uptick in political strife. 

Archived