Attempted Coup in Turkey

Fez

The live images on the bbc were on one of the bridges, shots were fired at people trying to cross in one direction. At least one person looked like they'd been hit as they were on the ground with people round them. There were a lot of shots in the audio  

But traffic was flowing the other direction so it's not total lockdown. 

And apparently helicopters were firing on the presidential palace, videos from Twitter showing that. 

The Dutch television is saying that the Italian media has reported that Tayyip is on his way to Rome. His son is already there according to the same sources.

Oh, and the former president of Turkey ( Abdullah Gül) has thrown some racist language out there about how 'Turkey is no Latin-American banana republic or African country...' they have standards damn it. Coups can't succeed there XD

17 minutes ago, Sophelia said:

Difficult to know what's really happening, but sounds like Erdogan's plea for people to come out into public places to protest the coup were successful (encouraged also by mosques) and loads of people turned out, with opposition politicians also denouncing the coup.  Implausible tales of people storming tanks with their bare hands.  But elsewhere gunfire etc. being reported.

The bravery of the people is astonishing (I'd be staying safe at home myself*).

*even if I was a huge Erdogan fan

Their stupidity is astonishing you mean. 

6 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Watched about a minute of live Reuters footage and it showed a street with protesters, and gunfire could be heard in the area.

Lots of folks massed around a bridge on BBC, sporadic gunfire, very now and then the crowd all crouch down for cover. Can't see anyone who appears to be hit yet.

33 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

If Tayyip bounces back from this he'll probably succeed in undoing all of Atatürk's acomplishments :( 

The twitter feed I was following at the start said at first people didn't take the news seriously because "Local conspiracy here is its a false flag coup so Erdogan can defeat the fake coup and seize more power" ... so yeah, defeating this coup will give Erdogan a lot of power to crack down even more while also increasing his support.

(Mind you I have some sympathy with the idea of not encouraging military coups as a general rule!)

1 minute ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

Looks like this is a coup doomed to failure. Martial law has been called, and a curfew imposed, but people are ignoring it and flooding the streets.

Pity. Seems like Erdogan the Mad might stay in power.

A coup is not the right way to get rid of him. The main opposition parties and the protestors from 2013 seem to have realised that. I now fear how Erdoğan will react to coming so near to defeat.

2 minutes ago, The BlackBear said:

There's a claim going around that a jet has shot down a government loyal helicopter.

And that the military have killed 17 police in Ankara :(

ETA: I'm hearing the helicopter was part of the army coup

1 minute ago, Fragile Bird said:

Erdogan is calling this a terrorist action.

The fact that the mosques are calling the people out on the streets is indicative of the close ties between Erdogan and the religion, and the erosion of the secular nature of Turkey.

The idea of a false flag coup to strengthen Edrogan is really insidious.

6 minutes ago, The BlackBear said:

There's a claim going around that a jet has shot down a government loyal helicopter.

On Dutch TV they are saying that that helicopter contained the officers responsible for the coup :dunno: Seems a bit to convenient but who knows by this point.

9 minutes ago, Sophelia said:

The twitter feed I was following at the start said at first people didn't take the news seriously because "Local conspiracy here is its a false flag coup so Erdogan can defeat the fake coup and seize more power" ... so yeah, defeating this coup will give Erdogan a lot of power to crack down even more while also increasing his support.

(Mind you I have some sympathy with the idea of not encouraging military coups as a general rule!)

I think that goes for all of us. Sad really, because I think it would probably be better for the Turkish people, the West and stability in the entire region if Erdogan was removed from the board.

The more frightening idea to me is the idea that, while the coup does not succeed, it starts a civil war,.  Think of Syria.  Or not that violent, Egypt.  Or Libya.

There are 75 million people in Turkey.  Just imagine the potential refugee problem....

Archived