2016 Olympics - Opening Ceremony and beyond....

Howdyphillip

10 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

Olympic track and field is an outdoor event, hence it happens outdoors.

You do get indoor championships happening, but not at the Olympics.

Track cycling on the other hand, is an indoor sport, guess what? It happens indoors.

There has never been a roofed olympic stadium, its almost certain that there never will be.

Which idiot decided to post in ignorance, and later draw attention to the fact having been roundly ignored the first time.

Couldn't there be at least a closable roof, for conditions like this? It was extremely irregular for the discus throwers, because they were split into two groups and the second one had much better conditions. Meanwhile, the pole vaulters were just delayed, so who cares, nothing changed for them. It just sucks when the conditions change and you can't give your peek performance due to bad weather.

There will be a roofed olympic stadium at some point, I'm sure of it.

^Good coaches train their athletes in rain as well. You have to prepare for everything. I've personally thrown javelin in the rain, ran 800m too. I found it irregular that none of the athletes seemed to be prepared for it, especially the track athletes. Pole vault is usually the one disrupted because of the danger aspect.

1 hour ago, Criston of House Shapper said:

Couldn't there be at least a closable roof, for conditions like this? It was extremely irregular for the discus throwers, because they were split into two groups and the second one had much better conditions. Meanwhile, the pole vaulters were just delayed, so who cares, nothing changed for them. It just sucks when the conditions change and you can't give your peek performance due to bad weather.

There will be a roofed olympic stadium at some point, I'm sure of it.

Yeah, probably about the same time they start building moveable roofs for things like marathon runners, cyclists, skiing, etc.  

I'm absolutely thrilled for Amy Tinkler taking Bronze on floor. Only 16 years old, and from local(ish). She sat her GCSE's just a couple of months ago. Insane.

Simone, of course, was freaking awesome.

(BBC's coverage is focused on Amy. I can forgive that, did not expect her to medal at all)

I'm sort of sad the gymnastics are finished.  So much fun to watch.  I really hope Simone's body can withstand another four years.  She'll be approaching "late middle age" for a female gymnast if she returns at 23.  I'd be curious to see if she can go even longer than that.  Her chances probably improve seeing as she's a dual citizen and could maybe be a Belize entry if she's unable to make the US team (which will be only four members starting next year, btw).  

Olympic track and field is an outdoor discilpin, it's hard to hold an outdoor competition indoors.

Boxing - I have no interest, and next to noknowledge of this sport, but... Why do the women wear head guards, but the men don't?  Please gods tell me that its not about women needing to be pretty and protected from nasty bruises. Normally that thought would be utterly alien to me, but these games have exposed so much sexism, latent or otherwise, that I can't help thinking it.

Women still wear headguards? The men used to wear those, too at the Olympics. They were abolished this year, because they apparently did more harm than good for the boxers. So I am somewhat surprised the women are forced to wear them.

Yeah, I knew the men used to, and I know they're worse than useless to protect against concussion, but why oh why do the men ditch them, but not the women? I really can't think of a non-sexist reason (whilst admitting my lack of knowledge about boxing)

10 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

Yeah, I knew the men used to, and I know they're worse than useless to protect against concussion, but why oh why do the men ditch them, but not the women? I really can't think of a non-sexist reason (whilst admitting my lack of knowledge about boxing)

Apparently there is not enough data on the effect of head gear on female boxers so AIBA (the amateur world federation) decided to keep them - https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/male-olympic-boxers-will-no-longer-wear-ridiculous-and-dangerous-headgear?utm_content=buffer6ed79&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

One explanation I can think of, the male boxers punch harder. Thus there's a higher chance of getting a concussion there. If concussions (and other injuries) do not occur as regularly on the womens side, then there probably was not as big an urgency to act on it. 

Or the Amateur Boxing Federation considers the male tournament without head gear as a test run, and the women will lose the headgear in the next cycle.

Sensational stuff from Trott. What an amazing athlete. With two, maybe three Olympics ahead of her, she can easily go on to become GB's greatest ever Olympian. Though, whether or not she wants to put herself through all that remains to be seen. The training regime for cyclists and rowers is basically organised torture.

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

Even considering how dominant Team GB is in general, it is ridiculous how good Laura Trott is at this cycling thing.

She has a 100% Olympic record - 4 races, 4 golds.

Just out of curiosity, for people living in countries that don't use the metric system, how does the coverage of the races and things such as weight classes work there? That is, does the commentary point it out?

Archived