NFL 2016 Week 13: Bigger, Stronger, Faster to IR

Tywin et al.

Just remembered something... did anyone see the game, want to say Sunday night where on a kick off a guy on the kicking team got just absolutely leveled, likely a concussion, and it wasn't even ran out of the end zone. To me, this is kind of the final straw and a damn good reason to end kick offs and punts entirely. Can you imagine how many injuries happen on punts and kick offs that aren't even ran back? That guy looked like he was knocked out clean, of course the camera avoided it mostly and replay wasn't showing it like they used to but I was like damn, that makes no sense.

I know it would be a radical change but why risk the health when it's a null play? I mean hell most kickoffs and punts that are ran back have a penalty anyway.

12 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Just remembered something... did anyone see the game, want to say Sunday night where on a kick off a guy on the kicking team got just absolutely leveled, likely a concussion, and it wasn't even ran out of the end zone. To me, this is kind of the final straw and a damn good reason to end kick offs and punts entirely. Can you imagine how many injuries happen on punts and kick offs that aren't even ran back? That guy looked like he was knocked out clean, of course the camera avoided it mostly and replay wasn't showing it like they used to but I was like damn, that makes no sense.

I know it would be a radical change but why risk the health when it's a null play? I mean hell most kickoffs and punts that are ran back have a penalty anyway.

As a former running back/returner I can tell you that the feeling you get when the ball's in the air and you're having to track it rather than peak, and there are times you can't hear your teammates, clock in your head going red...is unlike anything else...I've boxed, faced murderous fastballs, gone up in the air for a pass over the middle, etc....and nothing's like it. It goes from slow-motion to super speed in a blink, and you know it's coming and just hoping you have time/make the right first blind cut. I've had my bell rung, that's for sure.

2 hours ago, James Arryn said:

As a former running back/returner I can tell you that the feeling you get when the ball's in the air and you're having to track it rather than peak, and there are times you can't hear your teammates, clock in your head going red...is unlike anything else...I've boxed, faced murderous fastballs, gone up in the air for a pass over the middle, etc....and nothing's like it. It goes from slow-motion to super speed in a blink, and you know it's coming and just hoping you have time/make the right first blind cut. I've had my bell rung, that's for sure.

I can second this. There is nothing more terrifying than being the punt returner. I only had to do it for one game on the varsity level, and from my experience in practices I didn't think it would be that hard, but I literally froze the first time I had to do it and fumbled the ball (my only fumble in H.S.) and just fair caught it every single time after that. It made hitting a huge jump on skies seem like a breeze. 

Yeah, I caught an on side kick in HS and they were on me right as I got the ball, luckily I held on, took a solid knee to the side of my helmut. For me it's more about the wasted damage that is being done to people. I mean, we all know that sports, all sports, put strain on your body, but when it's a play that half the time means nothing, why keep doing it?

4 hours ago, dbunting said:

Yeah, I caught an on side kick in HS and they were on me right as I got the ball, luckily I held on, took a solid knee to the side of my helmut. For me it's more about the wasted damage that is being done to people. I mean, we all know that sports, all sports, put strain on your body, but when it's a play that half the time means nothing, why keep doing it?

Because the other half of the time, it can seriously impact field position and set the offense up to succeed or fail.  The NFL compensates it's players for the risk, and as long as they don't actively hide something (like with concussions), I have no problem with them not removing something like the kickoff. The players know (or should know) the risks involved, and are choosing to participate for what they view as fair compensation.  You've seen guys like Borland back out of the sport because they didn't like the balance of that equation.  

Lower levels, I would be fine of them getting rid of it.  High school, pee wee, pop warner, etc. have no compensation, and the kids really aren't in a position to accept the risks.  Axe it, and let them play it in the NFL (and maybe college.  I'm a little iffy there)

You'd think there are many better ways to do it. Hell give the team the ball at the 10, line the other team up at the same 20 and go! Every play then has a return and it would eliminate the 30 yard running speed head on collisions. 10 yards between teams allows some excitement but less chance of damage, eliminates out of bounds kicks and kneel downs. Or simply get the ball at the 20 every time, period.

I just think the NFL needs to do some drastic and honest efforts to improve safety before the moms of the world stop letting their kids play. Nothing is as fierce as an angry focused group of mothers.

3 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

Well we finally have a Thursday night game (Chiefs vs Raiders) that people should actually want to watch. How the Chiefs seem to still be flying under the radar is beyond me.

Because their offense is like watching paint dry.

24 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Because their offense is like watching paint dry.

That drying paint has helped them to a 21-4 record over their last 25 games. Despite it being as dull and repetitive as an episode of Family Guy, it is getting the job done in spite of itself. Having a pretty good defense also helps.

I just had to come here to post this news 

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0598641507536213933-4

The Patriots have agreed to terms on a one-year deal with WR Griff Whalen. He helps fill void created by Danny Amendola ankle injury.

No he doesn't.... :lmao:

Unless the Hoodie has instructed to troll the opponents. In case anyone forgot 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i7VKQwDS2s

2 minutes ago, trickster said:

Can you imagine how much shit that guy is going to eat in that locker room? They should totally greet him with one of those cakes where you can get them to use a still photo for the frosting. 

51 minutes ago, trickster said:

Jeff Fisher trolling : Belichick trolling :: Jeff Fisher coaching : Belichick coaching 

2 hours ago, trickster said:

No he doesn't...

I assume he's just there to return punts. Presumably not to be involved in any trick plays...

Amendola got injured on a return because the 2nd round rookie DB that was supposed to have a high upside as a returner keeps muffing them. They surely aren't dumb enough to have Edelman fielding punts.

2 hours ago, trickster said:

Just wait and see: Darth Hoodie is going to get a crucial 4th down in the AFC Championship or the Super Bowl with a swinging gate play... :)

16 minutes ago, White Walker Texas Ranger said:

Has a swinging gate play ever worked?

Just did a quick search on youtube and couldn't find one that worked in the NFL. College and everything else there is many. 

Chiefs pouring it on. The Kelce taunt was pretty funny.

10 hours ago, Joe Pesci said:

That drying paint has helped them to a 21-4 record over their last 25 games. Despite it being as dull and repetitive as an episode of Family Guy, it is getting the job done in spite of itself. Having a pretty good defense also helps.

Why do I have to agree with you so often? You're a Steelers fan, it feels dirty. :P

Archived