[Spoilers] Rant and Rave without Repercussion

teemo

26 minutes ago, SerMixalot said:

why was everyone shitting in their bed?  Ididnt get that.

Also I'm from an older generation, but what is an Ed Sheeran?

LOL  I think all the shitting was the result of Sam working the medical wing for the maesters at The Citadel.  Everything from the old man's section for maesters to the care of the somewhat sick as well as the quarantined like Jorah.  Honestly, though......I think The Citadel should work on the diet angle, more roughage, or something. 

And, I've been wondering.......what IS an Ed Sheeran?  I put my lack of being in the know down to the fact that I'm not British.  I suppose it could be an age thing, too. 

I'll get to some Ranting and Raving if the site doesn't crash on me soon again.

Not sure people are complaining about Sansa's advice. Jon just fought a costly war against Ramsay and now ends up trusting families who actually supported the Starks against the Boltons. Right, those are the kind of people you want at your side when you are fighting the ice demons. Because, you know, you can most definitely trust that they will never ever stab you in the back.

This whole Jon-Sansa rivalry thing makes both of them look stupid, but from what we got last season Jon usually is the bigger moron in this whole thing, not Sansa.

And this whole thing is actually leading nowhere since it is quite clear that Jon will either die heroically in battle or end rule Westeros at Daenerys' side. Winterfell will then go to Sansa.

Badass Arya is boring as fuck. Its like watching someone play a video game with God Mode on and unlimited ammo.

And Sansa, if you're going to make Jon king maybe you shouldn't undermine him the first chance you get.

And why the fuck is Dragonstone just empty?

What I didn't like: Everything. Jk. (But not really):

- Sansa being that person in camping trips. You know who that is, the guy that only complains about everything and contradicts everyone but never offers any valuable input. If this were a zombie movie, she'd be the first casualty.

- Ed Sheeran.

- The endless sequence of literal shit at the Citadel, though at least it serves as a metaphor for the show.

- Cersei inviting Euron to KL just to tell him to fuck off (although that was a very Cersei-like thing to do).

- Dany entering Dragonstone slower than my grandma walking into the house carrying bags of groceries.

Euron's new personality was a pleasant surprise, though.

(Also, Jesus H. Christ, this site is down in the dump. It's like the people in charge don't give a damn anymore). 

42 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

Not sure people are complaining about Sansa's advice. Jon just fought a costly war against Ramsay and now ends up trusting families who actually supported the Starks against the Boltons. Right, those are the kind of people you want at your side when you are fighting the ice demons. Because, you know, you can most definitely trust that they will never ever stab you in the back.

This whole Jon-Sansa rivalry thing makes both of them look stupid, but from what we got last season Jon usually is the bigger moron in this whole thing, not Sansa.

And this whole thing is actually leading nowhere since it is quite clear that Jon will either die heroically in battle or end rule Westeros at Daenerys' side. Winterfell will then go to Sansa.

Um, Bran would be the Lord of Winterfell unless he dies.

56 minutes ago, GallowKnight said:

Badass Arya is boring as fuck. Its like watching someone play a video game with God Mode on and unlimited ammo.

And Sansa, if you're going to make Jon king maybe you shouldn't undermine him the first chance you get.

And why the fuck is Dragonstone just empty?

Yeah, Dragonstone empty was just stupid. I feel like so many things in this episode were only explainable because "the writers wanted it that way".

How does Arya know Robb's wife and unborn child were murdered at the RW? How does Cersei know Jon was declared King in the North? Sam conveniently finds the one book showing dragon glass location. Dany lands on Dragonstone with no Stannis garrison or commoner anywhere to be found.

I give the Ds credit. So many writers experience the problem of writing themselves into corners. They are incapable of that because they just retcon and plot hole themselves out of any problem.

"Wait, it would make no sense for Stannis to not leave a small amount of men on the island? How do we get around that? Fuck it. It's more dramatically satisfying to have Dany walk uninhibited around the island."

8 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Um, Bran would be the Lord of Winterfell unless he dies.

Would he? He is a cripple, and completely unprepared for that kind of thing. But then, right, the misogyny in the show would make it very likely that the girls get literally nothing in the end.

For the books, we can be pretty sure Bran will never rule anything, neither as lord or king. The Northmen would never follow a cripple, that is made clear as early as AGoT and ACoK. And I very much doubt that Bran is going to leave the cave - perhaps he'll stay there forever, perhaps he can leave after the Others are defeated.

The most obvious evidence for George *never* going down the road the show did with the Northern storyline in the last two seasons is this bitching about on irrelevant and childish matters. First they pumped up both the High Sparrow and Ramsay as antagonists for essentially two fucking seasons - because they obviously have neither the talent nor the intention to come up with interesting original content or actually adapt the material they had - then they create childish and unbelievable conflicts to pass the time, basically.

It might be that Littlefinger and Sansa eventually show up in the North saving somebody's ass, but it is very, very unlikely this is going to happen in the fight against the Boltons (more likely, perhaps, to deal help deal with the Weeper or perhaps even later helping to fight the Others, alongside Aegon and/or Daenerys). Doing this would force George to come up with ridiculous filler material - most likely better written - of the same sort the show comes up since last year.

As soon as you have important/powerful characters like Jon and Sansa at the same place you either have to unite their stories or set them against each other. When things actually race to the finale, when Westeros unites and fights the Others this could work. But not as early as the show introduced the concept.

And it is even worse with Arya - Arya has a horrible personal story, she should actually rediscover her human side and (re-)learn some real compassion, etc. instead of becoming some empty revenge machine. That looks cool on screen (and Maisie is much older than Arya in the books, so it is not all that twisted) but a 11-year-old girl continue to pursue a career as a serial killer isn't going to be an interesting story to read. She can also kill some evil people, of course, but George is going to give her a real story, a story that might even lead into her professional. I think Arya could get the job of killing either Dany or the dragons and subsequently end up in her camp, eventually rising to the position of Mistress of Whisperers at Dany and Jon's court. That would give her ruined/traumatized some meaning. Other possibilities are also imaginable, of course, but Arya going back to Westeros to kill the evil people is just nonsensical fan fiction.

George has another character doing that - Catelyn, the outlaws, and the Riverlords. They don't need Arya.

12 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

Would he? He is a cripple, and completely unprepared for that kind of thing. But then, right, the misogyny in the show would make it very likely that the girls get literally nothing in the end.

For the books, we can be pretty sure Bran will never rule anything, neither as lord or king. The Northmen would never follow a cripple, that is made clear as early as AGoT and ACoK. And I very much doubt that Bran is going to leave the cave - perhaps he'll stay there forever, perhaps he can leave after the Others are defeated.

I disagree. Willas Tyrell is a cripple who is in line to inherit Highgarden, though, that doesn't exist in the show. And it's not like Bran hasn't been Lord of Winterfell before. Once Robb departed for war, he left Winterfell in Bran's hands, and the other lords and vassals seemed to follow him just fine. Not to stick up for this show as it is misogynistic in so many other ways, but Bran returning follows typical succession rights established by GRRM. It would not be misogynistic for Bran to be the ruler of Winterfell over Sansa and even Jon. He is the last true-born son of Ned Stark.

And I also disagree that Bran won't leave the cave in the books. Before last season I would have agreed with you, but Hodor seems too important for it not to happen in the books. It might be slightly different in how it plays out, but I think Bran will escape using Hodor.

15 minutes ago, SuperMario said:

I disagree. Willas Tyrell is a cripple who is in line to inherit Highgarden, though, that doesn't exist in the show. And it's not like Bran hasn't been Lord of Winterfell before. Once Robb departed for war, he left Winterfell in Bran's hands, and the other lords and vassals seemed to follow him just fine. Not to stick up for this show as it is misogynistic in so many other ways, but Bran returning follows typical succession rights established by GRRM. It would not be misogynistic for Bran to be the ruler of Winterfell over Sansa and even Jon. He is the last true-born son of Ned Stark.

And I also disagree that Bran won't leave the cave in the books. Before last season I would have agreed with you, but Hodor seems too important for it not to happen in the books. It might be slightly different in how it plays out, but I think Bran will escape using Hodor.

yep.

8 minutes ago, SuperMario said:

I disagree. Willas Tyrell is a cripple who is in line to inherit Highgarden, though, that doesn't exist in the show.

Willas Tyrell has a bad leg. He can still walk. Bran can neither walk nor father children. He won't be able to continue the line of House Stark. If Rickon dies in the books, too, Winterfell will eventually pass to Sansa or her descendants anyway.

And the people of the Reach aren't as hard or cruel as the Northmen. They want their lords to be strong. If they are not then they are quickly pushed aside.

And it's not like Bran hasn't been Lord of Winterfell before. Once Robb departed for war, he left Winterfell in Bran's hands, and the other lords and vassals seemed to follow him just fine.

Bran was never Lord of Winterfell. He was the younger brother of the heir/lord/king and 'the Stark at Winterfell' but Winterfell and the North were run by Cassel and Maester Luwin.

Oh, there is a solution for this. We know 'Hold the door' works completely different in the show than it will in the books. That has been confirmed. It won't be a non existent door in the cave. It will be the Black Gate, when Hodor and Meera return to the Seven Kingdoms. Bran will possess Hodor to open it and then he will somehow merge with the gate to hold it against the Others. That is what's going to create the temporal paradox within Hodor's mind. The weirwoods don't perceive time as a river, they see everything at once. Once connected to/merging with a weirwood Hodor is going to see his own linear existence the same way a weirwood sees its existence, and that's going to shatter his mind.

It cannot reasonably happen the same way it happened in the show. That makes no sense at all. There is still a chance that Bran would accompany Meera and Hodor but this is a realistic book series. Bran would *never* make it back alive now that winter has come. He cannot walk. And the idea that the Others really can/will attack the Children does not seem very convincing to me at this point. They are not enemies as far as we know.

And in the books he can contact and interact with anybody he wants and has to via the weirwoods. He does not have to be physically with the heroes. That is actually more likely to endanger him than help him. And it would actually diminish his role as an 'old god'. While people don't realize Brandon Stark is talking to them he can awe them into submission by appearing to them as a god. That should help him making people do what (he thinks) is necessary. 

3 hours ago, SerMixalot said:

biggest armada?  Didn't Euron have to rebuild the entire fleet like 2 weeks ago?

Yeah, I thought that was weird. Even in the recap they show him telling his men to build him new ships and then suddenly he has hundreds.

2 hours ago, SuperMario said:

Yes to all of this.

Arya - Imo, giving Arya the Stoneheart plot role ruined her character development which she had started undergoing at the House of Black and White and in particular empathizing with the role of the Queen when her son died.  So, the kind soldiers were put in to attempt to undo the damage but not really enough considering she just committed mass murder.  

Sansa - Imo, she's had the least character growth.  She "saved the day" by withholding information about the Army of the Vale which ended up costing many other Northern Houses and Wildlings their Armies/lives.  Instead having a private "small council" meeting with Jon before the larger meeting she undermines him in front of all the other houses.  While she's trying to warn Jon about the Southerner's she's not listening to him about Army of the Undead.  She could also have fairly easily let Jon know about Little Finger's history as she knows it and work out a way for him to have an "accident".  She seems to see the "character" of her Dad, Rob, and Jon as flaws/weakness rather than consider they had other flaws/weaknesses etc.

Sam - I'd assumed he'd already told Jon about the Dragon Glass.  Very anti-climatic reveal and just makes Sam look dumb.  But, I guess I was 1/2 right about the "shit" in the other thread.

Things that bothered others that haven't bothered me-

1.  Arya not freeing her uncle.  (I assume(d) he is/was still at Riverun, if anything I find it odd the Frey's didn't relocate their House there).

2. Pop Singer - Know of his name when I hear it, but didn't recognize him nor his voice since I've never knowingly ever listened to him (not a judgement just a reality).  Though I can understand why it would bother those who did.

3. Woman fighting in the North - Joan of Arc, Valkary Shield Maidens, English/Welsh warriors at the time of Roman invasion and probably others show that it's not unheard of for Women to fight in European History, especially in extreme conditions.

Unrelated (how laggy this site can be, I know I shouldn't look a gifthorse in the mouth).

So a mini-plot of Sam cleaning shit, stealing something again, and magically finds the answer he needs in the first book he steals in the dark

Reminded me of his mini-plot in the Tarley home.

Why are they even bothering with these uninteresting scenes? The rest of the episode was even worse, but I don't have to repeat you guys of course.

Arya's plot is dreadful, the Atomic Arya plot.  Now she is a skilled killer, of one or many, in any manner, at any time, according to her list or her preferences.  What on earth could the writers do with her next - have her fall in love, go to college, or have a baby?  Of course not.  If I was an Arya fan, I would be very upset with what the writers have done to her because, other than magically kill annoying or inconvenient characters, she has one thing left to do - reunite with her family/Nymeria. While Arya's death may be next season, and it may be heartbreaking, we can easily see it from here.  Talk about telegraphing your punches... 

This probably came up already, but how did the Lannister soldier receive word about his wife giving birth, but not about the child's gender? And if "no ravens come for soldiers," then how did he find out she even gave birth in the first place? I guess he could have just assumed so based on how many months it had been, but that's not really the vibe I got. It's a small thing, but I found it puzzling. 

5 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

This probably came up already, but how did the Lannister soldier receive word about his wife giving birth, but not about the child's gender? And if "no ravens come for soldiers," then how did he find out she even gave birth in the first place? I guess he could have just assumed so based on how many months it had been, but that's not really the vibe I got. It's a small thing, but I found it puzzling. 

Quite the assumption when infant mortality is so high. Good chance the child has died, or his wife, or both.

29 minutes ago, lakin1013 said:

Arya's plot is dreadful, the Atomic Arya plot.  Now she is a skilled killer, of one or many, in any manner, at any time, according to her list or her preferences.  What on earth could the writers do with her next - have her fall in love, go to college, or have a baby?  Of course not.  If I was an Arya fan, I would be very upset with what the writers have done to her because, other than magically kill annoying or inconvenient characters, she has one thing left to do - reunite with her family/Nymeria. While Arya's death may be next season, and it may be heartbreaking, we can easily see it from here.  Talk about telegraphing your punches... 

Arya's omnipotence is especially strange when Faceless Men are demonstrably fallible - shown by Jaqen getting chucked in the Black Cells. Not so sure she will die, D&D seem to view being a mass murderer as badass and the ending is meant to be the same as the books where the problem is avoided by not making her a psycho in the first place.

On 7/17/2017 at 9:05 AM, Le Cygne said:

" if only Brienne had said HE SOLD YOU TO THE BOLTONS.

Brienne would have said it, but she was too busy thinking about Stannis.

I'm just guessing that since LF said "I heard" about the Hound, and no one else knows but Pod, that Pod was boasting about it again. They called out in the script that Sandor is stronger than her but weakened from the bite.

Yep, logically Pod would be the source, given the fact Brienne isn’t saying anything about the whole affair come hell or high water. And I hope Pod has really good dental insurance as he is going to need it just as soon as Judge Dredd of Tarth (I am the law!) finds out about it and gives Pod a mailed fist right in the kisser .

At this point, I'm hoping that's actually a plot point. Brienne gets all cocky thinking she can beat him when he's well, and he trounces her. 

I think it is a plot point.

Things should get interesting when Arya shows up to WF.

1 hour ago, lakin1013 said:

I am a huge Arya fan, heck I name my dog Arya.  And I can't stand ShowArya.  I really don't care if she dies at all. Well, it would make me really sad that it foreshadows something bad for BookArya, that's the extent I care about ShowArya's fate.

Archived