UK Politics: Iain Duncan Smith introduces death penalty for poor people

Werthead

Charley Brooker's Weekly Wipe did a good job of pointing out the extreme confusion caused by mixed messages about the (non-existent) hordes of Romainian and Bulgarian immigrants: they are simultaneously coming to this country to take our jobs but also claiming JSA and other benefits, somehow.

Joking aside, this is all water off a duck's back for UKIP. The main three parties are so tainted by financial and sexual scandals, that a councillor saying daft things barely registers, by comparison.

It depends on if you think UKIP can still get anywhere in elections if it offends gay people (probably) and women (probably not).

On an unrelated note, anyone catch Nick Griffin's cookery programme?

Urgh.

Just had to share this:

Cameron told a parliamentary committee yesterday that it is necessary that the police have access to all our mobile communications not just "because of the children" but because it often proves useful in fiction!

In the most serious crimes [such as] child abduction communications data ... is absolutely vital. I love watching, as I probably should stop telling people, crime dramas on the television. There's hardly a crime drama where a crime is solved without using the data of a mobile communications device.

I kid you not.

The London tube strikes are hitting hard.

THE twisted troglodytes who inhabit London have been forced to expose themselves to daylight.

The near-blind, cannibalistic subhumans, who usually live their short brutish lives in either tunnels or offices, are now groping their way through the capital’s streets.

Nathan Muir, whose slimy green-white skin began to smoke and blossom into flame when touched by the sun, said: “The yellow eye in the heavens judges me.

“It burns me for my ugliness, because I defied the Lore by exposing my flesh to the Roofless World.”

The stunted goblins are trained from birth never to make eye contact with one another and use their holy text The Met Roe to hide their faces.

Their subterranean world is paralysed by a vicious war between the Riders and the Drivers begun by the Drivers’ megalomaniac leader, Crow.

Anthropologist Dr Helen Fisher said: “Crow demands an increase in tithe for the Drivers, insane idiot savants who spend their whole lives shackled to the controls of vast mechanical worms.

“Life is unimaginably awful down in the tunnels. There is a form of crude poetry inscribed on the walls, but it’s not anything a normal human could enjoy.”

So after years of warnings to successive governments, the Dawlish rail line is no more. So Cornwall, Plymough and Torquay now have no rail service for at least six weeks. Hopefully it's fixed by then because seasonal industries will need it running.

Hurrah for politicians.

So after years of warnings to successive governments, the Dawlish rail line is no more. So Cornwall, Plymough and Torquay now have no rail service for at least six weeks. Hopefully it's fixed by then because seasonal industries will need it running.

Hurrah for politicians.

On the other hand, being that it's literally on a stretch of coast that school trips visit to study erosion, they might have had a clue.

On the other, it's kind of difficult to know what they should have done to prevent this sort of damage, short of building an entire new line further inland (which is probably as difficult as it is necessary, given what I know of the terrain).

It's amazing how often British roads and railways can be entirely choked through one point though. I'm a particular fan of the way one listed railway viaduct in Digswell can hold up the flow on the entire west coast (as it's only two tracks wide and they're not allowed to widen it).

This recent road diversion might take the cake though.

It's amazing how often British roads and railways can be entirely choked through one point though. I'm a particular fan of the way one listed railway viaduct in Digswell can hold up the flow on the entire west coast (as it's only two tracks wide and they're not allowed to widen it).

This recent road diversion might take the cake though.

I've seen some big diversions in the Highlands, but that one is particularly epic. I does make me curious what the even bigger diversion is that the reply mentions. I guess you could get some fun diversions by blocking the road south of Mallaig so the diverted traffic leaving there would have to cross to the Isle of Skye on the ferry, drive across the island and over the Sky Bridge before crossing half the highlands to get back to somewhere 5 miles from where you started.

Read a very entertaining article in the Times today re drink bills at the BBC.

So, champagne is out but cava, and more particularly prosecco is ok. I did wonder about English sparkling wine. Also, less than 200 for British beers feels really really small.

In general 21k feels small.

I think the question is why the fuck the BBC has a drinks bill in the first place, and why are we paying for it?

Expenses should be really for unavoidable costs incurred in the making of programmes. Jollies should not be included on it. Have a bar, sure, but one that charges market prices and pays for itself.

£21k is tiny. I bet most large companies spend more than that just on a single Christmas party. Not much room for "jollies" there, once you take out the cost of client entertaining and the re-stocking of Hereward's whisky cabinet.

I didn't realise the Daily Mail was in. I think the bigger question is why do publishers jack up the cost of my books by schmoozing writers and bloggers?

In other news, I will have to divorce my wife as she has just had a row with Ed Miliband right outside my house and she didn't even ask him to wait a moment until I had a chance to get there.

Archived