[BOOK SPOILERS] Discussing Sansa V

Mladen

How'd that work our?

Well, Dontos is only an important character because he convinces Sansa he is a knight in shining armor come to resuce her ... With the events unfolding as they are it is impossible for that story to be told now ... So why tell it? I think if it is Dontos, it will be very minor.

I love that Sophie is so supportive of her. I'm always defending her to everyone, and I really think this year will be her chance to shine.

It would be easier for her to shine if the writers weren't deleting all the character's active material.

I guess she's not buddying around with Tyrion anymore, which is an improvement, but it would be nice if the TV version didn't exist in a state of perpetual catch-up with her book counterpart.

I never found her to be particularly active compared to most of the other central figures.

It would be easier for her to shine if the writers weren't deleting all the character's active material.

Which omissions are most bothering to you?

Which omissions are most bothering to you?

The Dontos storyline would be the most obvious one, where they're turning her from an active participant in her escape into an object, who'll sit around wearing a necklace. This was an important plot for the character in the books, and added a lot to her characterization; in the show Dontos is just some dude who'll give her a necklace on the pretext of a gift, drag her out after the wedding, and then get killed as a "shock" (even though the show, in reducing him to such a marginal presence and making Littlefinger such an obvious villain with an interest in Sansa, has removed the things that will make that shocking).

OK, watched the episode...

This episode, as the previous one, started on unknown territory. Basically, it is too early to tell where it will go, but nonetheless it does have a potential. I have to say I liked the conversation between Sansa and Tyrion in which she audibly expressed her sorrow over her family's death. It was nicely acted, very much in character and overall showed stark (pun intended :)) contrast to the beginning of the episode 3/10. The Godswood scene was, alas, problematic. Not because Dontos was introduced too late, but because of the simple fact that they omitted the most important part about the necklace, that Sansa knew that she has to carry it, because Dontos said it will release her. She didn't understand but she complied thus showing the agency the show tragically omitted.

Well, apparently, the next episode is

PURPLE WEDDING, and we will see how it resolves

Jamie called her Sansa Lannister

Yeah... I have just come to like him, and he does that... What a Lannister... :)

Sophie is beautiful, and she is a great actress... and getting better all the time. I could feel a huge sense of empowerment when she told Tyrion she goes to the godswood so nobody will talk to her. Sansa is quickly becoming one of my top five favorite characters.

Can someone give me a link for reliable show descriptions? I'd like to see them.

Interesting that TV-Sansa, who is the daughter and sister of anti-Lannister supposed traitors, is allowed to traipse around King's Landing without a guard. In the books, I think the Godswood was the only place where her guards did not follow.

But there was some good acting from Sophie Turner tonight.

Great acting from Sophie tonight, as usual.

I'm also disappointed at Sansa not having more of a clue about the escape plot, but its still way better writing than she got in season 3. At least they are just taking away good things and not adding horrible-ness. (It might be that my expectations are *really* low after last season).

I just can't get used to the idea of Jaime and Brienne being around the same place that she is.

I guess this is the result of them deciding to bring Jaime back when they did, but this is really going to throw a wrench in the works later.

Dunno why they changed it to a necklace though.

Yeah. Hmm. MInor issue, though - it will still do what is required of it.

In regards to the scene w/ Dontos it seems they're trying so hard to keep everything a surprise. The escape plan wasn't mentioned nor was the recommended wearing of the purple amethyst hairnet turned blue necklace (lmao) to the wedding. I guess the writers thought these things would scream 'hey make sure you watch out for... xyz'

I was very much looking forward to her being an active participant in her escape too. I'm trying not to rest too much on my disappointment though because the rest of the episode was so solid and we really won't know how it'll play out until it actually plays out. So who knows? Maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised for once.

I really likes Sansa in this episode, and it says a lot because I've hated how she has been portrayed for the most part up untill now. I liked how she let Tyrion talk and trying to get to her, after which just left, basically saying "leave me alone". I can easily forgive her talking to Tyrion about the deaths of Robb and Cat, to show how hard it is for Sansa, and also to learn what exactly happened to Cats body. I liked how incredibly friendly and courtious she was to Dontos, even though she should be an emotional trainwreck at the moment. Really courtesy as lady's armour and it gave it a sense of empowerment, as if she knows what she's doing. Hope the show continues on this path.

Did not see this mentioned yet here on thread but I noticed that Shae tried to serve Sansa pigeon pie in her scene with Tyrion. Sansa refused the pie.

It reminded me of a conversation the Old Bear had with Jon way back in Clash I think where he likened poison to lemon pie. George ususally gives us hints if we care to look for them in the books. That conversation between Jon and the Old Bear has stayed in my mind throughout the series. A linkage to lemon and poison and pie. Makes me wonder if Cersei wasn't going for a Sansa Tyrion kill at the wedding. I still believe someone was trying to poison Tyrion during the PW (lemon creme poured on a pigeon pie) . Nice hint with humor by directors towards speculation about poisons.

I also liked that the directors started giving her some lines that show her inner strength against the Lannisters...Tyrion included. Finally she is being given some lines to show her inner thoughts.

The weird thing about the godswood. NO trees. I realize that there isn't a weirwood tree in KL but there are other large trees. So strange to see Sansa praying at a small bush?

The necklace/hairnet change up doesn't bother me. The important part was she seemed to be touched by the gift and developes trust in Dantos, which I can see forming. She needs to have a naive fondness for the item. I love her show character, her look, speech, everything is brilliant. My only criticism is that she always seems dressed too warm for King's Landing.

I am so proud that I finally got the spoiler to work. Not sure how I quoted myself, but oh well.

Overall I really liked how Sansa was portrayed here. Finally we are seeing the Sansa who wants nothing to do with Tyrion and who is realizing that Tyrion is her enemy. I also liked the interaction with Dontos in that it shows she can still be very compassionate with someone who has done nothing to wrong her or her family. It makes for a good contrast with Tyrion. Also, Dontos brought up his family and how there's no one left and he is in disgrace which is similar to the position Sansa is in. I do hope they show Sansa take more agency in her escape and plotting with Dontos as in the books. I'm still waiting to see how that will all play out before I pass judgment on that.

I think it was appropriate for Sansa, who is older in the series, to make her sadness, her fury and her despair clear to Tyrion and not to whisper false courtesies like a frightened rabbit. And Tyrion had no answer here, he did not even pretend to have any solace, he offered a sleeping pill, fully aware of how ridiculous that was.

And it was also full of dignity when Sansa, without any veil of courtesy, declared she would not pray anymore but only wanted a place where no one talks to her.

And that into the face of a character who is mainly characterized by talking as his competence.

Sansa was not the little bird from the books that melts out of the way but a far more adult young woman who did communicate, who put her foot down and who actively made it clear why she refuses Tyrion's support for the time being.

I like that Sansa far better than book Sansa.

Archived