[Book Spoilers] EP403 Discussion

Ran

Book Pod's never really in any danger. Seems to totally miss Cersei and Tywin's radar.

He could be, and even the possibility that Pod might be at risk due to his association with Tyrion never seems to occur to Book Tyrion either way.

Edited by Newstar

Either Tywin goes back on his word (which would be kind of ridiculous considering that he just made the offer like two days earlier), or they're going to have Oberyn become champion because he's convinced by Saint Tyrion's goodness and innocence.

Uhm, Tywin never said he is going to *kill* the Mountain. So then ,during the trial, Oberyn assumes Tywin offers him the chance to kill the Mountain, like he promised. It would make sense for Tywin, he kills two birds with one stone - acquitting his son Tyrion and keeping his promise to Oberyn.

Tywin, on the other hand, who doesn't care too much about his son, is ok with whatever outcome the trial has :) Either his enemy Oberyn is killed on his own accord, or he comes out happy because he got his revenge.

The perfect strategy, right? What did I miss?

Well, the possibility never comes up because it's highly unlikely. After all, no one bothers to question him about Tyrion, or to try and get him to testify against Tyrion. He's just a boy that most people think is a lackwit because he can barely talk.

TV Tommen is...interesting. Despite being older, he still seems easily manipulated by Tywin...although, to be fair, Tywin was not wrong in anything that he said.

I actually loved his speech about what it's needed to be a good king, even though I think he invented one King (Onys?). One wonders why didn't he give it to Cersei before she went to marry Robert.

In the book , there was long build up about the Ser Dontos and Sansa, and it explaisn why Sansa trusted him and escaped with him immediate after the death of the Joffery, but in the TV show, these two just met, it is not very believable that Sansa will go with Dontos

In the book , there was long build up about the Ser Dontos and Sansa, and it explaisn why Sansa trusted him and escaped with him immediate after the death of the Joffery, but in the TV show, these two just met, it is not very believable that Sansa will go with Dontos

Things have to be trimmed, they haven't got 50 pages to flesh it out here.

Edited by NightStark

It's the "Follow me if you want to live" line... that does the trick.

I actually loved his speech about what it's needed to be a good king, even though I think he invented one King (Onys?).

The idea that Tywin just made up a king on the spot in service of his point is awesome. I love it.

Well, the possibility never comes up because it's highly unlikely. After all, no one bothers to question him about Tyrion, or to try and get him to testify against Tyrion. He's just a boy that most people think is a lackwit because he can barely talk.

I guess the problem is that Book Tyrion never even turns his mind to these things, if only to dismiss them. It never occurs to him to think of Pod...just as Brienne later realizes that Tyrion neglected Pod's training.

I actually loved his speech about what it's needed to be a good king, even though I think he invented one King (Onys?). One wonders why didn't he give it to Cersei before she went to marry Robert.

To quote King Robert re: Jon Arryn. "it's not his fault I didn't listen."

While Cersei probably at least listened to Tywin's lecture series on Political Science she seems to have misinterpreted the message/drawn the wrong conclusions. To Tywin's enduring chagrin.

My initial thoughts:

Mole's Town really doesn't seem safer than Castle Black to be honest :uhoh:

The Thenns creep me out so much.

I really liked the scene where Sansa escapes, it was exactly as I imagined it!

Did not like the Jaime/Cersei scene in the sept. That was like rape. No. Bad change.

Creepy!Littlefinger is back! This both excites me and disturbs me all at the same time.

The episode fell pretty flat for me. Even the Hound and Arya was kind of flat.

Davos/Shireen, the Wildling raid and the siege of Meereen minus the show down with the champion (which felt really anticlimactic to me) kind of sort of saved it.

I'm going to pretend that horrific Jaime/Cersei scene did not happen.

And I finally get it StanStans. I really do. His portrayal is making me want to hit my head against the wall too. Start off for the wall already, geez!