Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D - The Skye is Falling

The Anti-Targ

I want to see them somehow intersperse Age of Ultra footage into AoS without telling anyone.

I can just imagine. Coulson and team are about to face Hydra agents on a busy street in a major city. Some big robot flies/runs right through the middle of their would-be battleground, with Iron Man and Thor hot on its heels, and the Hulk not far behind jumping from building to building. Captain America and Black Widow come along, too. Coulson stops them just long enough to ask what's going on, to which the Cap nonchalantly responds that they're just trying to save the world. again.

I was shocked to discover her actress was 50 years old

Yes and no

Yes, it has improved tremendously

No, going from average to actually good is not that impressive IMO

I'd say it went from garbage to good. It's fun and interesting, but last night's episode was a bit of a let down. Still pretty good but some definite flaws IMO:

Simmons left Hydra way too early. Skye managing to sneak off was weak. Skye's dad is a bit hammy.

The prevailing theory I have been hearing is that Skye's dad is Mr. Hyde from the comics. Kyle MacLachlan's performance, seemed pretty in line with that character.

Now, that would make Skye really Daisy Johnson AKA Quake. (He did say that Skye was not her real name) Personally, I am still hoping for some sort of Inhumans tie in ... which I think could work with Mr. Hyde.

The prevailing theory I have been hearing is that Skye's dad is Mr. Hyde from the comics. Kyle MacLachlan's performance, seemed pretty in line with that character.

Now, that would make Skye really Daisy Johnson AKA Quake. (He did say that Skye was not her real name) Personally, I am still hoping for some sort of Inhumans tie in ... which I think could work with Mr. Hyde.

Interesting Mr. Hyde theory. I wondered if they were going for a gamma powered being with the gaming of green light though.

I'm actually unfamiliar with Quake.

Excited to see Mockingbird show up and thought her scenes were fun, but yeah, was slightly less pleased this week. I also thought Simmons should've been with Hydra for a more extended period...at least until the midseason finale. Also agree that Skye's dad is a little too corny. I'd prefer him to be slightly more sinister and enigmatic.

Here is Mockingbird looking more like Mockingbird next week.

I'm finding it hard to even bother with the season so far. Maybe if I hear the first half dozen are great I'll try and make time but I'm thinking this has a good chance of being "something to watch over the christmas holidays".

I'm finding it hard to even bother with the season so far. Maybe if I hear the first half dozen are great I'll try and make time but I'm thinking this has a good chance of being "something to watch over the christmas holidays".

It's really solid so far. Maybe not stellar, but night and day compared to the opening episodes of season 1...

I'm really not seeing that much improvement. They went nuclear on shaking it up so I suppose at least it's different, but there's nothing promising about the new set up. There's not one notably good addition to the cast (British guy's awful, the other two are pretty forgettable) the 'banter' about exes was horrible, and they've taken the sinister and mysterious HYDRA and turned then into a joke. A crippled SHIELD, which amounts to half a dozen people and a plane, manages to plant an agent as the chief person in charge of possible planted agents? And either they brainwash everyone (Ward said they didn't) or it's ridiculous that anyone would ever work for them. You can't just have that guy say it's cool to kill billions of people and expect us all to think 'Oh, OK, they're all evil'. What are they exactly, these employees? Insane? Pro murder? Simmons scenes always feel like they're played mostly for comedy which doesn't help, that this non-field agent and terrible liar has got away with being there as long as she has.

Fitz's story is fairly good, and I find myself actually looking forward to Ward's scenes. That's about it at the moment. 3 new regulars, and not one interesting thing between them. Embarrassing really.

Ouch, that's harsher than I'd judge it, and I don't think I had much good to say about the show last season.

Mostly it's average. The Hydra vs. SHIELD angle could certainly be interesting, but yeah, making Hydra cartoonishly evil is stupid and unnecessary because, err, they're Nazis. Seriously, who thinks 'okay, our bad guys are Nazis, now how to make sure people realise they're the villains'?

The latest showing of Skye's dad was also disappointing. I was hoping he'd be a real force to be reckoned with, maybe leader of his own faction, but he just seems to be a vaguely creepy, vaguely tormented vague guy with vague anger management issues. He's had the obelisk-that-is-not-an-obelisk for quite a while now, and he's done nothing with it. He desperately wants to meet his daughter, but when has the opportunity he bails instead. And now he's teaming up with Hydra, so the one thing he still had going for himself, his status as a third party, is gone as well.

Also: how does Ward know anything about the guy? I'm willing to suspend my disbelief up to a point when it comes to him having lots of useful Hydra intel (though obviously I would have preferred it if they'd just dropped him into a deep, dark hole and written him off the show) even though he has been undercover for basically his whole career, but having a line on Skye's dad when nobody else seemed to know anything about the guy? Nah.

Obviously there isn't going to be much movement when it comes to Hydra, the organisation is not going anywhere and I assume even Reed Diamond's character is safe until the season finale, so hopefully they'll move the alien writing plot forward. But apparently next week is about Ward and the team having to trust him. Yay, that didn't take long at all, did it?

He was talking to Raina towards the end of last season...

Oh yeah, I'm sure they were swapping juicy secrets all the time. Maybe that means Raina knows all about Hydra, too? Then they could replace Ward with her, she's at least slightly more fun.

It bugged me a little that they've tried grafting a back story between Raina and Skye's father (that line about she was weak when they met or something) when they seemed to have the same thing going with Garratt. So at the last part of Season 1, she was working with Skye's father, but was enamoured with Garratt the Prophet? Is she just a freelance villainy assistant?

It bugged me a little that they've tried grafting a back story between Raina and Skye's father (that line about she was weak when they met or something) when they seemed to have the same thing going with Garratt. So at the last part of Season 1, she was working with Skye's father, but was enamoured with Garratt the Prophet? Is she just a freelance villainy assistant?

My take was that, if they're going with inhuman-ish mutants, Raina was identified as someone whose powers could be triggered through whatever process is the MCU's equivalent of terrigenesis. The trouble is that it's unpredictable and the subject can end up with characteristics they find undesirable (many Inhumans look... well, inhuman). Raina didn't want to take the risk and so hoped that the Clairvoyant could tell her what would happen if she went through with it ("What will I become?"). Now that she knows that Garrett lied she seems to have gone back to Agent Cooper.

It sounds like it's "holiday" TV in that it's entertaining but not appointment TV. I'm pleased Ward is still in it and I hope he's remaining semi-evil. Arrow and Flash already take up too much "superhero" TV for me. I've rapidly lost interest in Gotham which seems to be settling into the dull slump SHIELD was in for 2/3 of last season. At least Gotham started strong and is almost too keen on using the franchise,

It sounds like it's "holiday" TV in that it's entertaining but not appointment TV. I'm pleased Ward is still in it and I hope he's remaining semi-evil. Arrow and Flash already take up too much "superhero" TV for me.

I seem to be in the minority but I really quite like it. Sure it's cheesy and the fights need to be better choreographed, but I still enjoy it. And I'm certainly not above watching episodes twice (something for example I have no wish to do with GoT.)

I've never watched Arrow, I'm watching Flash but it's much worse than AoS.

And Ward isn't really evil, manipulative sure, but not really evil. Or at least he's not being obviously evil. Who knows what'll happen when he inevitably gets out.

Disagree that The Flash is worse than SHIELD. It at least has a sense of fun and wonder. SHIELD briefly flirted with having FitzSimmons at least be excited about the crazy stuff they come across, but it quickly became a routine job interspersed with moments of mortal danger even to them.

And Ward isn't really evil, manipulative sure, but not really evil. Or at least he's not being obviously evil. Who knows what'll happen when he inevitably gets out.

He is pretty damn evil, but since this show takes place in magical TV-land he's probably going to be 'redeemed'. :rolleyes:

Archived