(BOOK SPOILERS) Discussing Sansa XI: Lies and Arbor Gold

I was thinking more that Sansa went full Black Swan...although considering that some have said that the idea of Sansa is essentially that of a Disney princess parachuted into a Crapsack World, that she dresses up like a Disney villain to mark her transformation would be fitting.

This. Nicely done.

Things I noted:

1. Women's weapons. The hound repeated the line 'poison is a woman's weapon' -- Martin emphasizes that Sansa does not have access to any other type of weapon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0iNPkx8vnE

Sansa used tears to save LF and herself -- Lysa used the Tears of Lys to kill her husband.

Possible foreshadowing of Sansa, the black falcon, using poison. The journey from pawn to Lucrezia Borgia continues.

2. The show is now ahead of the book. I think we will see the controversial chapter by next season.

And a question

No HTH thus far -- does that mean that LF really wants SR to recover?

edit: the board ate half my post

I liked the Sansa stuff a lot. Her revealing herself to be Sansa Stark was a legitimate surprise.

I wonder if LF is trying to set up Robin in the Harry the Heir role. Or, barring that, Harry is his back-up plan when he realizes Robin is a lost cause.

But if they're letting Robin go running around the Vale, possibly in the fosterage of others, how will LF get control of the Eyrie/Vale? I haven't seen LF being named Lord Protector yet; and he wants that almost as much as (possibly more than) he wants ultimate possession of Sansa.

I...what...what the...

I don't know what to make of any of this. I'm still trying to wrap my head around Sansa revealing her identity to the Vale Lords. And Sansa acknowledging LF's lust. And Sansa apparently dyeing her hair...?

TWOW spoilers? I have no clue. I'm confused.

But if they're letting Robin go running around the Vale, possibly in the fosterage of others, how will LF get control of the Eyrie/Vale? I haven't seen LF being named Lord Protector yet

Royce and Waynwood were the only people in the books challenging him for the protector status, and they're on his side now, from what we saw here.

I guess the idea is that she will continue to be "Alayne Stone" to everyone else--soldiers, servants, etc.--but that Royce and Waynwood, in addition to Sweetrobin (well, Robin in the show), will be in on the secret.

And Sansa acknowledging LF's lust.

Yup.

*pitches camp in the thread*

I drink your tears, fandom. I guzzle them!

Im so smug right now, I can barely stand me. Wowowowowwowow.
So...Sansa totally plays LF like a fucking fiddle and its awesome. His visible shock was fantastic. While hes still convinced shes on his side and for now, i think she is. Because she doesnt know things yet. (she dont know about Ned yet. Thats when
i think that shoe will drop.) She goes for a Villainous Costume Change. Or at least thats what it looks like. That dress is kinda vampy and im not convinced that Lysa actually had that in her closets. Hoo well, at least her hair is not red and shes gone full Alayne.

Royce and Waynwood were the only people in the books challenging him for the protector status, and they're on his side now, from what we saw here.

Yeah see umm..i think these guys are going to actually not be super behind LF in the show either. They are gonna back Sansa and the idea of her union with Sweetrobin. I actually think this is whats up there.

Interesting situation... I do hope that Sansa's subtle affection for Petyr is just "lies and Arbor Gold." I am also 95% sure that this was TWoW material (partially, at least.) I'm a little bit frightened as well... Sansa did seem devious in black. The terror and possibilities and spoilers, scary indeed.

I really don't see how the Lords Declarent knowing who she is is a spoiler. We all pretty much assumed this is going to happen anyway, right? Littlefinger told her this was his plan. They're just moving things forward at a quicker pace in the show.

What I took from all the scenes is that: Sansa is in command of her agency now (revealing her identity to the Vale Lords without consulting Littlefinger). The Vale Lords know her identity, but they promised to keep it secret. It benefits no one to reveal her, and there is the fondness they have for her father as well. That was made clear when they mentioned Eddard running up and down the halls of the Eyrie. The final scene was the official arrival of Alayne Stone/Baelish with her black hair. Going forward she will pretend to be Baelish's niece.

I'm very interested in how this storyline progresses forward. There's a different psychological component at work here now.

I like how that scene with Littlefinger and Sansa was cryptic. She says she knows what he wants. Does she really? I think she has an idea, and I think she thinks she factors into what he "wants." And yes ... using that might be a little disturbing, but Littlefinger did tell her that he loved her mother. Littlefinger told Lysa he loved her mother before pushing her out the moondoor. And Littlefinger said "You're more beautiful than she ever was." She knows Catelyn was a huge motivational force for him. Now she seems to be intentionally assuming that role.

Like I said ... should be interesting. I'm okay with the changes.

Mostly though? She has her black hair. That excites me more than anything, really.

I...what...what the...

I don't know what to make of any of this. I'm still trying to wrap my head around Sansa revealing her identity to the Vale Lords. And Sansa acknowledging LF's lust. And Sansa apparently dyeing her hair...?

TWOW spoilers? I have no clue. I'm confused.

I'm just hoping that while Sansa acknowledged LF's lust for her, she didn't give in to it. :ack:

The Dark Phoenix comparison is good, but I see your Dark Phoenix comparison and raise you Dark Willow, another redhead whose hair turned black when she went darkside.

She says she knows what he wants. Does she really?

Oh, she definitely knows.

Was Sansa being in black, was that about her being in mourning for Lady Lysa? Even with her being Petyrs neice Alayne, she is his ward, so it would probably be appropiate for her to be wearing black as Lysa was Petyrs wife. I like the whole Dark Queen thing but maybe people are reading a little to much into this

*pitches camp in the thread*

I drink your tears, fandom. I guzzle them!

Im so smug right now, I can barely stand me. Wowowowowwowow.

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

That was my immediate reaction down to a T!!!

Alas! I need to get my salmon out of the oven. After that....let us discuss this FOR REAL! Because I want to "Speculate with impunity"! :drool:

I like how that scene with Littlefinger and Sansa was cryptic. She says she knows what he wants. Does she really? I think she has an idea, and I think she thinks she factors into what he "wants." And yes ... using that might be a little disturbing, but Littlefinger did tell her that he loved her mother. Littlefinger told Lysa he loved her mother before pushing her out the moondoor. And Littlefinger said "You're more beautiful than she ever was." She knows Catelyn was a huge motivational force for him. Now she seems to be intentionally assuming that role.

In inside episode 8, D&D confirm that Sansa knows how to manipulate LF and she knows that she is his weakness and plans on using that to her advantage.

Also, I have to mention: almost every reaction to Sansa I've seen for this episode (with the exception of my boyfriend le sigh) has been overwhelmingly positive. Lots of people getting behind "goth Sansa" lmao.

The feathers are what really put the look over the top I think lolz.

ETA: I saw George's comments. :D

I was only suggesting that Sansa does not, in fact, know everything Littlefinger wants. But she has an idea. And that's a start for her.

I don't think anyone knows what Littlefinger's actual end game is. That's almost as big a mystery in the series as who Jon Snow's mother is. ;)

Archived