Did Drogon realize that eating Hazzea was wrong?

Panos Targaryen

yes iam not very good at phrasing ....i wanted to know that the dragons can be same like wolves are to their starks because we only see danny having problems ...starks had no problem with wolves maybe as you say it was due to the warging they have more control than danny

Dragons can be tamed and bond, it has been done for centuries in Valyria. The Starks are an special case, as Bran has some extra help from Bloodraven. Dany has none.

Or maybe because dragons are simply harder to control than direwolves.

Only they did: Arya sends Nymeria away with little training and she becomes the terror of the Riverlands, killing dozens of men, women and children. Pretty much all the other direwolves have no problem munching on men either, and sure, it's in defence, but I don't think the wolves really know the difference. But it's clear that the warg bond is stronger tham what Dany has with Drogon atm so that must play a role as well.

In ADWD Drogon disappears after eating the shepherd's daughter, wandering in the Dothraki Sea (?). First of all, it's interesting that he disappeared exactly after he ate the girl. Then, we don't hear about any other similar incidents while Drogon was in the wild. Hazzea was the only person that we hear of him killing. Was his disappearance some kind of self-imposed exile? Did he sense Dany's wrath, and realize she was going to lock him up with the other two?

Options:

1 ) He's a predatory animal. Smart, yes, but not about to give up his nature. Men are meat - only his true master has any control of him.

2 ) Maybe he did sense that Dany was upset, at least.

3) Or maybe he never actually killed Hazzea and it was a ploy by the Harpy.

Dragons can be tamed and bond, it has been done for centuries in Valyria. The Starks are an special case, as Bran has some extra help from Bloodraven. Dany has none.

The knowledge of how to train Direwolves is also unlikely to have been.lost, as it would be very similar to training dogs. Whereas dragon.training...not such a well known art I dont think :p

In response to the O/P, there's a very clear bond between Drogon and Dany, so he'd surely have sensed her unhappiness, as a dog would.

But, he wouldn't have regarded his actions as morally wrong, as he's a wild animal.

I think he fled because he didn't want to be imprisoned. And, he was clearly furious with Dany for trying to imprison him, as he was ready to kill her in the fighting pit.

If that were the case, why didn't the Harpies spread the tale? What was the whole point of this exercise?

There already exist a number of rumors about Dany as a result of harpy propaganda. These include but are not limited to: she mates with animals, she is a liar and turncloak, she has no respect for guest right, she sacrifices young women (children by 21st century standards) and bathes in their blood. These are just the ones we as readers have heard.

In terms of propaganda it couldn't get any worse. So there's really no point to the harpy getting word out that one of Danys dragons accidentally killed a little girl. They wouldn't have any proof but the father, who was already quieted by Dany and he even accepts her remorse. In the eyes of the Masters this wouldn't even be a crime, barely a scandal so what could try gain by trying to tell a bunch of people except to make Dany wonder if it was actually Drogon. I think that, if the harpy was responsible, it was to hurt Dany in a way that was sure to hit home. Since she had clearly been enraged when the masters crucified the children, they knew she loved young ones and this was the only way to make it seem like she was directly responsible.

Also, dragon fire could melt steel and crack massive stones. I honestly wonder whether bones would even make it through and be solid, let alone recognizable.

If I had to guess, I would say it actually was Drogon and GRRM put this in to remind Dany that dragons are wild animals that bring 'blood and fire.' Also that she herself may be destined to only bring 'blood and fire' with her as a conqueror and a "dragon" of sorts. It's a good device to get her thinking on what it means to rule, but I'm not throwing out the possibility it was the harpy.

Hazzea was only burned not eaten if I recall correctly. Besides, I don't think it was Drogon. The Harpy plotted to get rid of the threat of he dragons and they managed to do that after seeing Dany has soft heart for the kids.

And while they're at it, wouldn't it make even more sense to tell the public, especially if they want to provoke a reaction from Dany?

Because then people would know that Dany restrained her dragons to keep them from eating people. It would make Dany seem like a compassionate and responsible ruler, instead of the bloodthirsty monster they've painted her as.

Sidenote: I actually think Drogon did eat the girl, but I don't want to completely ruling out other possibilities, yet.

I think it is important to keep in mind the mentality of the Slavers at this stage. as far as Dany is concerned, Dany is outright evil, who has come to destroy their ancient culture - just like the Valyrians of old. She crucifies 163 slavers and burns peaceful envoys. She forecefully strips people of their property, and kills those who oppose her. In their mind, she is as cruel and evil as you can get. Would they really expect Dany to lock up her dragons just because of some peasant child's death? Sure, it would give bad propaganda for Dany, yes. But Dany's action of locking up her dragons is likely unexpected by the Harpies.

The Slavers aren't against Dany because they think she's evil; they're against her because she's a threat to their power. If the Slavers were as ignorant of Dany's nature as you make them out to be, they wouldn't have been capable of launching a successful smear campaign. Nor would they have known that murdering her "children" would have affected her.

Only they did: Arya sends Nymeria away with little training and she becomes the terror of the Riverlands, killing dozens of men, women and children. Pretty much all the other direwolves have no problem munching on men either, and sure, it's in defence, but I don't think the wolves really know the difference. But it's clear that the warg bond is stronger tham what Dany has with Drogon atm so that must play a role as well.

Is it stronger? Drogon protected Dany from the Undying and they can all sense Dany's emotions. That's not too different to the direwolves' behaviours.

We do not know the extent of the taming. Maybe they were as wild as Drogon, and were simply locked up in a great pit like what the Targaryens did. But we do know they can bond with people.

I doubt that, even in tPatQ the tamed Dragons were quite obedient and docile when they weren't in combat so it was probably even better in the Freehold.

Dany did get Drogon to let her ride him, so she is beginning to come into her own there.

And he responded when she called for him.

On topic: I'm not entirely convinced Drogon did it, the Dragons have been around people and have never eaten anyone and if Drogon did get a taste for humans why did he stop at one? But if he did it, I don't think it's crazy to think that he sensed that Dany was displeased with him and he probably realized his "mother" didn't stop the numerous attempts to capture him so he just stayed away for a while.

I think of Drogon did burn and eat Hazzea it was not a deliberate hunting her down specifically. I think it was a tragic and unfortunate accident resulting from Drogon hunting sheep/goats and Hazzea being among them. Nothing I have read in the books has me convinced that a dragon would deliberately hunt down a human (much less a small child) for food, particularly when other food is available. It doesn't necessarily make it better of course, but if he was responsible then I dont.believe it was deliberate

I'm not convinced it was true I believe it's to do with The Harpy although I'm not convinced what happened there could be several scenarios;

1)It's exactly how it's supposed to have happened and Drogon burned her because he was hungry.

2) Drogon burned her but maybe she was around the sheep and it was a mistake when he set them on fire she was in the wrong place at the wrong time or something similar.

3)He was under attack and retaliated and she was caught in the crossfire, the only times we have seen the dragons attack has been when under threat or in retaliation.

4)Drogon wasn't even there and The Harpy simply made it up, the fathers grief is genuine he may have been fooled by them too and they are the ones who burnt her.

There are several other possible scenarios but what ever has happened has weakened Dany and helped The Harpy.

I think of Drogon did burn and eat Hazzea it was not a deliberate hunting her down specifically. I think it was a tragic and unfortunate accident resulting from Drogon hunting sheep/goats and Hazzea being among them. Nothing I have read in the books has me convinced that a dragon would deliberately hunt down a human (much less a small child) for food, particularly when other food is available. It doesn't necessarily make it better of course, but if he was responsible then I dont.believe it was deliberate

Agreed, I think the whole point was that dragons are wild beasts and are dangerous, and while probably not selecting to attack humans for food in particular, they do not carefully choose to spare humans. Like a pack of wolves could eat the sheep and the shepherd too.

Why do people keep saying he's a wild animal? He's not. He's been living with humans since he was born. Acknowledging that dragons may be smart enough to realize killing humans will upset their masters doesn't necessarily mean whitewashing their behavior.

There are plenty of references to Dragon behaviour in 'The Princess and the Queen'.

From this recent novella we know they are never tamed. They tolerate some humans, usually only one, whom they allow to ride them. They are creatures like any other and are opportunistic in nature. They have personalities and some prefer solitude. Who they tolerate is very hit and miss. I suspect like all animals they have dietary preferences and should a dragon develop a taste for humans then no doubt they will hunt them. However, I suspect the intimate nature that humans have had with dragons means that such behaviour is not the norm. The passage I recall relates to the aftermath of the Battle of Second Tumbleton. Silverwing, 'Good Queen Alysanne's mount in days of old', fed on the 'burned remains of horses, men and oxen'. None of the dragons involved in the battle killed to eat as they killed wholesale and caused utter devastation but 'Who can know the heart of a dragon?'.

So its not that dragons deliberately seek out human prey though should a human present itself when a dragon is hungry I've no doubt it will take advantage of the ready meal. The death of the young girl Hazzea was simply coincindental. Drogon wanted the sheep and Hazea was there at the same time. Drogon didn't eat the girl, otherwise the bones wouldn't have been available to be presented to Dany by the father.

Simple.

As a direct result of Drogon killing that girl, Dany locked her dragons up, it was laid out very clearly on HBO. I am really starting to think that Skahaz staged the whole thing, He is running the GOT in Meereen, playing Dany and everyone else. It would be easy to fake a childs burnt corpse.

As a direct result of Drogon killing that girl, Dany locked her dragons up, it was laid out very clearly on HBO. I am really starting to think that Skahaz staged the whole thing, He is running the GOT in Meereen, playing Dany and everyone else. It would be easy to fake a childs burnt corpse.

True, but:

1. They couldn't know her reaction

2. They would've had a bigger impact if it was shown publicly infront of a full courtroom and

3. Why is it so hard to believe that Drogon did it? I mean the dragons getting wild and hard to control is a clearly laid out theme in Dany's arc. Also, Nymeria kills people, but Drogon couldn't have? Why?

In ADWD Drogon disappears after eating the shepherd's daughter, wandering in the Dothraki Sea (?). First of all, it's interesting that he disappeared exactly after he ate the girl. Then, we don't hear about any other similar incidents while Drogon was in the wild. Hazzea was the only person that we hear of him killing. Was his disappearance some kind of self-imposed exile? Did he sense Dany's wrath, and realize she was going to lock him up with the other two?

From Drogon's POV, why is it wrong?

Archived