Video Games: Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhh Edition

Inigima

*sigh* I thought we'd moved past this shit.

Bioware has released all the romance options for DA Inquisition. I don't really care all that much, but if it gives us something to talk about, rather than pointless bickering, so much the better.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/dragon-age-inquisitions-romantic-relationships-listed-explained/#!bP9khh

I just can't seem to get all that excited. I look forward to playing it, but its not a game that gets me worked up like I originally was for DA:O. :(

I just can't seem to get all that excited. I look forward to playing it, but its not a game that gets me worked up like I originally was for DA:O. :(

Yeah, same here. I'm getting far more excited for the next EU4 DLC than DAI which is kind of sad.

I don't necessarily mind romance options in games. In fact, sometimes they can be quite good at expanding the characterization of party members. But I really wish Bioware would stop being quite so dating sim-like, which is a problem they've had for a long time now.

At least Varric and a few others are off-limits here.

Agreed. Sometimes the romance options do help to flesh out characters (no pun intended). But it really is hit or miss between that vs feeling like they shoe horned it in, making it boring/creepy. *cough*Jack*cough*.

So I believe I will be getting Destiny as well for the PS4. Anybody else going to be joining me on the PS4?

I'll be there... but I'm fairly noobish in general when it comes to FPS games. I anticipate a longer learning curve for me than most.

I must either be different than a lot of people or just have a really good gamestop near me, but I absolutely love the gamestop I go to. The people are always knowledgable and friendly and never try and pressure me into anything. Hell, the last time I went in to pick up a game my ticket stubb from Gaurdians of the Galaxy fell out of my pocket and I ended up spending 20 minutes standing there talking about that movie. Its always a good experience in there.

As for pre orders; I will pre order games I know I want, like sequels and CoD each year, but I will also pre order stuff that looks interesting and gives you some cool free stuff (love me some game posters, lol) in game. If a game doesn't really draw my interest or have anything I want for pre ordering, I'll wait til Friday of that week and pick it up (if gamestop doesn't have it, Wal Mart will).

I've only ever made it to one midnight release (CoD Ghosts) and it was fun. Large group of people who were all there for the same thing and were pretty friendly. They had raffles, music and pizza. It was great. But, in normal situations, I probably wouldn't bother with a midnight release, even for CoD (one of my favorite franchises), I'll just pick it up the following day.

I don't necessarily mind romance options in games. In fact, sometimes they can be quite good at expanding the characterization of party members. But I really wish Bioware would stop being quite so dating sim-like, which is a problem they've had for a long time now.

One thing I will say in favor of DA2 is they basically went all out with it to it's logical, ridiculous, interactive fan-fiction community conclusion. Everybody's sexuality is quantum. No matter who or what you make Hawke out to be, everyone will want to bone him... her... it... both... whatever.

Homosexual? Heterosexual? Bisexual? No we've raced past that paradigm everyone is now hawkeosexual.

Also the friendship/rivalry dynamic -- will still too videogamey for "romance" ("romance" of course being bioware code for cut scene Fuckin' as we all know) -- was a step in the right direction as least there are now two polarities and thus two ways to go about it. As opposed to getting out a spreadsheet to figure out how many shitty gift shop knick-knacks I have to buy and how many times I have to say I really like buying shoes before Leliana's desire for steamy Grey Warden Action becomes so insatiable that it somehow makes her a better archer in time for the Archdemon. Yes, sorry babe, I just wanted to get into your pants Loyalty Bonus all along.

As much as I think that Bioware's approach to developing relationships (not just romantic ones) between PC and NPCs is too formulaic, I like that they are at least trying to make you care about the characters you hang out with over the course of 20+ hour games.

Having never played a dating sim I can't really compare, but as much as the romantic relationships in Bioware's games get a lot of attention, they make up a tiny part of the games and are mostly worked on by the writers, so it's not like they're responsible for e.g. the underwhelming combat in DA2. That's a totally independent fuck-up.

I'm curious what sort of non-gun parts you mean here. Both Borderlands and ME have armor/shield options, secondary weaponry, skill trees, and special class abilities/mods. ME does seemingly give a greater variety of character powers with tech and biotic skills, but I don't know that the difference between Lift, Pull, and Slam is all that much better than having an auto-turret that can either shoot missiles or heal your party. Or that "use a certain power to hurt a certain enemy" is all that much different than "use a certain elemental to hurt a certain enemy.

This is exactly what I'm talking about.

And the difference between Pull and Slam is alot and also not available to every character. ME2/3 powers are diverse and work in concert with each other for combos and effects and basically form an interesting system on top of the gun play.

Destiny, from what I saw in the beta, seemed to be very limited in how much new stuff in throws around. More like Borderlands where it's just alot of small tweaks.

I just finished the game The Witcher last night. I had played the second installment on the Xbox 360, but I finally built a PC I can game on and wanted to go back and check out this title. Overall, I enjoyed the game every bit as much as I did the second one, and I may just be that sucker who buys Witcher 3 on the day of release.

Fiddler: quality of GameStop experience is heavily dependent based on area and specific store.

Oh yeah, I know that. I just see Gamestop as a whole bashed all the time so I like to throw out how great my experience has been. Then again I have been in probably 6 different Gamestops and have always had a good experience.

On to games!

Really looking forward to Destiny, but unfortunatly I was unable to buy a PS4 bundle like I originally wanted to. So, maybe next weekend I'll pick it up for the 360.

I just finished the game The Witcher last night. I had played the second installment on the Xbox 360, but I finally built a PC I can game on and wanted to go back and check out this title. Overall, I enjoyed the game every bit as much as I did the second one, and I may just be that sucker who buys Witcher 3 on the day of release.

Well, to tie into a previous topic of the thread: I pre-ordered it already. Gog.com offers a discount for owners of the first two games...

Witcher 1 is good - as hinted at in "What RPG?" topic -, though I'll freely admit that I had a definitive "WTF" reaction when the first scene and car popped up...

Witcher 3 will be the first game I play very soon after release for a long time - probably since the old days of Wrath of the Lich King. I'm just wondering if I shouldn't wait a bit longer for the first main patch to be issued.

Having never played a dating sim I can't really compare,

I take it you haven't tried Hatoful Boyfriend yet?

Do we have many Fifa players on the xbox? I skipped 14 but I will probably be getting Fifa 15 when it comes out. Though that depends on if I can find the right version.

As an aside, the region locked games make me tear my hair out. I doubt they've ditched that for the Xbox One? It is nigh impossible for me to find NTSC-J games.

I enjoyed 14 for Xbone. I wouldn't say I'm a FIFA player though.

I work in HMV; the entertainment store - we run out of stock all the time lol.

I love HMV! I'm still one of the few people who buy CDs.

Yeah - the Aus stores are still called EBGames. But I presume they're part of the Gamestop group. We never had a "GameStop" here - so I guess the local stores kept the EB name. Brand recognition and all that marketing crap.

There used to be a Gamestop, EBGames, Funcoland, and Software Etc. all within 50 yards of each other at the mall. They've all since close up (minus the Gamestop). I'm pretty sure Gamestop just bought them all out.

What bugs me the most is the various "Pre-Order at X Store" DLC bonus. Sure in the end it is usually something superficial, but I remember when getting Arkham City having to preorder from Best Buy because I wanted the playable Robin character.

I had that issue when I bought Lightning Returns. It's a good way to make you buy from them, as opposed to whatever is more convenient to you.

Just finished the second season of walking dead. Not quite as engaging as the first season but damn the choices were hard at the end. I also found it weird how I became loyal to people even though they were reckless. I suppose that's down to good writing and acting. The final scenes for the choices I made

where Kenny begs them to take the kids in exchange for him leaving (without added supplies)

really choked me up and made me glad I made the choices I had

I mean,

Molly Jane was calculated but Kenny despite being a powder keg was loyal. Plus, WTF was Molly Jane thinking creating such a contrived scenario? Maybe a contrived element from the game designers to be honest

I know a season 3 has been confirmed but I don't see how they could make one that plays off the final episode choices. They are just too divergent to work. Usually the choices work in such a way that the main plot still rolls out but that's impossible this time - unless the designers are willing to make divergent season 3s. I guess they'll ultimately go for the most popular choice but that won't sit well with me if it's not the choice I made.

Is the "fables" telltale game any good? I suspect they have a lot less freedom given it uses character from the comic.

Archived