Video Games: Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhh Edition

Inigima

I rarely preorder. I know I did the preorder for Diablo III for the PS4, but that was because I turned in like 90 dollars worth of PS3 stuff and I got like an added bonus to it for preordering a game I was 99% going to get anyways. (My wife and I can play together and so far we are enjoying it.) If it wasn't for the large trade in, plus the percentage bonus, I probably wouldn't have done a preorder.

You already said there were scantily clad women hired to pseudo-prostitute themselves to the attendees. This fact was established. By you.

I just asked, in response to your claim that video gaming "objectifies everyone" if there were male equivalents to those. You have said, essentially, that no there weren't.

And so your claims of everyone being objectified are incorrect.

I did not say anything close to prostitution was going on, that's a lie attempted to be established by you.

I did not essentially say there were no male equivalents, I said I don't remember what the men were wearing other than it was something with the same color pattern as the women's uniforms, I can assume they were all employed by the same company.

And I wouldn't really know if they were hot, they were young guys(I think?) that seemed to be in shape so idk.

My claims of everyone being objectified are not incorrect.

To objectify as I know the definition means to reduce the status of someone to a mere object. In my mind that night, the male employees were the only ones being objectified by me. They could have been trees with shirts on for all I knew or cared.

I noticed the beautiful women, and I certainly wasn't turning them into an object in my mind.

Nah, just not objectifying women would be a start.

But.... what else are we supposed to do?

On preordering: Preordering used to make a certain amount of sense when games would regularly sell out. That was awhile ago though. I had been burned a couple of times by not being able to get new games on release date so I continued to preorder games that I knew I was going to get well into the early X-Box 360 days. I think the very last game I preordered was Starcraft 2 because I feared that the game would be utterly sold out on release day and that I'd be without a copy until the stores could restock. I tried to preorder the special edition at Gamestop but they already had sold out of that by the time I went in, so I was stuck with a regular copy. Needless to say, when the release date rolled around, there were plenty of copies to be had and my local Best Buy even had an entire rack full of the special edition still available for that whole, following week. Yeah that pretty much showed me how utterly useless preordering is nowadays. The only reason to preorder is if you like the little, gimmicky things you get with the preorder or sometimes Steam has cheaper preorders for some games. But that's it.

Also, there was no party atmosphere at the Gamestop, it was just a bunch of sleepy, sweaty nerds crammed into a tiny store at too late an hour of the day.

Are you just purposefully being obtuse or are you genuinely finding the concept of women dressed in 'hooter like attire' not playing up to pleasing men. These women were in 'hooters like attire' to please the men around, they were being objectified by you, by everyone there. Now you, personally, aren't doing anything wrong here; you're merely noticing the hot women that were dressed that way to be specifically objectified by the men around. I mean if theres a hot chick - why wouldnt you look anirite; question - why the hell were there women dressed in 'hooter-like attire' there in the first place? If not to be objectified and pleasing to the eyes of the men around, then what??

well, to distract the gamers from how derivative and "pay 60 bucks for the same thing all over again"-y the latest iteration of Call Of Duty is, obviously. :)

[by... being objectified eye-pleasing objects]

Was it because of the lack of EASHL and GM connected (on next gen)? Normally I wouldn't buy NHL this year because of that, but a lot of my friends are getting back into NHL (new consoles and all). I have to buy it so I can put them in their place :D

http://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/2fh4ez/nhl_15_for_nextgen_is_a_scam/

I only pre-order games I know I want. I also only buy games I pre-order on Amazon. So, by the time I get home from work, I know it's sitting there for me. The last time I did a midnight launch "party" was for Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Needless to say, my friend and I were thoroughly disappointed with that game/experience.

[MOD]

Take the discussion of the video game industry's subjectification of women to a thread in Gen Chat please.

Let's keep this thread to the video games themselves.

Further discussion on the derail will be deleted.

[/MOD]

:) OK then fair enough. I'm not going to involve myself further.

I've finished the main quest of Fallout 3 with Broken Steel installed. Bit peeved at Ron Perlman for calling me an arsehole for telling Fawkes to activate the purifier. I mean, for heaven's sake Fawkes did pretty much the exact same job for me a few hours earlier by retrieving the GECK. :dunno:

I knew I liked you. Now I'm 100% sure of it. It's good to know I'm not the only one still roaming the wasteland.

"I used to be a pre-orderer like you. Then I took a Dragon Age II in the wallet."

I might pre-order mmos since there it may actually matter to be ahead of the curve.

Everything else can wait until discount/patch/people review it.

That said I liked DA2 a lot. People hate on it so much for all the wrong reasons.

Only thing wrong with it IMO was the recycled environments. The rest of it was about as solid as any other RPG (i.e. a mixed bag). It's a shame it was so poorly received because I love the kind of story they were trying to tell - localized in area and expansive in time, rather than the other way around. There's a lot of potential in that format for really getting deep into a setting and into characters. But DA2 got a poor enough reception that it's not likely to be tried again soon, at least not at an AAA level.

What confuses me is when people say DA:O had much better combat, particularly if they mention balance. DA:O hero abilities were hilaaaariously unbalanced (Arcane Warrior anyone?)

Gah, really need to get around to playing D:OS. Just don't have the time to invest anymore.

Holy shit. About that, OTP is coming in an update (I know, still sucks). And there is a shootout in the demo if you're tied at the end of regulation, so why wouldn't there be one in the full game. Still, that list is staggering, and to top it off there's no meaningful performance boost from the 'next gen' hardware. Either EA Canada was too lazy in developing for the new platforms (llikely), they stripped it down so they could have a ensure a good, stable release (not likely). Or, in a nightmarish scenario, most of those modes are on the way, but through microtransactions :frown5:

But seriously, they had like 2 years to develop this and they still release a half ass product. I saw nothing in the demo (PS4) that made me think 'this is next gen', Imo this is more on the developer (EA Canada) than EA as a whole, because FIFA and Madden have been humming right along. The NHL series has gone downhill since the 09 version imo.

Edit: and reading the comments in the thread, I see that FIFA 15 will bring back couch co-op :thumbsup:

Only thing wrong with it IMO was the recycled environments.

There's a bit more to it then just that, but the flaws are almost exclusively on the technical side (bad camera controls resulting in bad combat controls, waves of enemies spawning from thin air etc.) rather than on the conceptual side or with the writing.

There's a bit more to it then just that, but the flaws are almost exclusively on the technical side (bad camera controls resulting in bad combat controls, waves of enemies spawning from thin air etc.) rather than on the conceptual side or with the writing.

But, but, but, I didn't get to save the world! WOE IS ME!! :crying:

How can they be allowed to make a game where Good doesn't automatically Triumph? For shame.

Do we have many Fifa players on the xbox? I skipped 14 but I will probably be getting Fifa 15 when it comes out. Though that depends on if I can find the right version.

As an aside, the region locked games make me tear my hair out. I doubt they've ditched that for the Xbox One? It is nigh impossible for me to find NTSC-J games.

Only games I've preordered ever are Witcher 3 and the new Torment one - well, kickstarter, but I consider it more or less as a preorder. I would have done the same with Pillars of Eternity, had I heard about it soon enough.

But that's not something I tend to do - heck, considering the huge pile of Steam games yet-unplayed, I tend not to buy anything right after release, because there's no point, I know I won't play these games for months, with delays possibly up to 2 years...

Preorders are brilliant for a store. Guaranteed sales makes supply chain work super easy. That they also have all your random account info and buying habits and crap make it even better.

Unless they run out of stock - which virtually never happens these days - preordering is completely stupid from a consumer perspective.

On preordering: Preordering used to make a certain amount of sense when games would regularly sell out. That was awhile ago though.

Just a theory, but it seems to make sense to me...

I think a large part of the reason we can always find copies of the game in stock on launch day is because so many people pre-order now.

Think about it... if a Gamestop store know they have 500 pre-orders, they can order in 550 copies of the game. Enough to cover all the pre-orders and some extras for Day 1 purchases.

But if nobody ever pre-orders, how do they know how many to order in? If they low-balled it and ordered 400 copies, they could be missing out on 100-150 sales of the game. If they were more bullish on the game and ordered 700 copies, they may be stuck with 150+ copies they can't sell.

Gamestop (and EBGames here) do a lot of things wrong and under-handed, IMHO. But pushing pre-orders isn't really one of them. It makes perfect sense, from a business point of view - it enables them to plan more efficiently and neither over nor under order. And it doesn't really harm anyone. Those that pre-order get their pre-order bonuses and surety of having the game right away. And even those that don't pre-order get the benefit of being able to walk in on Day 1 and pick up a copy solely due to the fact that Gamestop can plan more effectively. If nobody ever pre-ordered, I doubt anyone would be able to go into their local store on Day 1 and be confident of finding a copy available.

And yeah - if the game turns out to be a complete turkey, that's an issue. But I think that's more of a fringe case, rather than the norm. And personally, I only pre-order games I'm confident about and know I will want to play on Day 1. (I can't recall if I pre-ordered Dragon Age 2 or not, but I at least picked it up on Day 1. And I don't regret it. Sure, it had some issues. But I had a blast playing it and consider the money well spent despite those issues.)

Archived