What do you guys eat for lunch at work?

Mormont'sRaven

I'm starting a new (paid) internship.

This one has longer hours than the other one, so I'll have to eat lunch during office hours. I'm really torn about what to do hear. Now that I'll be getting paid a decent wage, I want to start buying my own food so I can eat healthier. Alas, I really don't know what's healthy. Also, I don't think vegetables will keep well during the commute (which is about 2 hours each way). I'd also prefer something small to eat as well so it doesn't take up too much space in my bag.

I was thinking to just buy a thing of pumpkin seeds or mixed nuts and leave them on my desk and just have handfuls of that throughout the day in lieu of lunch. My friends and family said this was crazy.

So what do you guys do?

... How exactly did you function in life before you found this board?

No offense to the OP, but his mother probably packed it for him.

But to answer the question, I usually have a sandwich, a piece of fruit, and water or iced tea.

I have to out today, though. I used up all the jelly this morning packing kids' lunches and I don't like just peanut butter. :)

Vegetables will keep if you get an insulated lunch bag and use an ice pack.

I bring leftovers from the night before, or make a sandwich or a wrap. Vegetables will not go bad on a two hour commute. In the sumner I put my lunch in a 12 pack sized cooler if I want to keep it cool.

Sometimes I bring a couple of frozen bagels, a knife, and lettuce tomatoe and creamcheese in baggies and by lunch the bagels have thawed and I make sandwiches.

Another cheap lunch is to make a bunch of bean and cheese burritos, wrap them up and freeze. Bring that with a salad, nuke the burrito at lunch and enjoy.

My lunch every day is:

Sandwich (usually turkey and cheese)

Yogurt

Fruit (typically apple or pear)

Snack (cookies, goldfish, peanuts, etc)

I would also reiterate that it is a bad idea to just skip lunch. It is really hard to remain focused for a long day if you don't eat enough, and unless you are having a really huge breakfast, then between a 2 hour commute and the long work day, you are going to be running on empty by the end.

You should probably just hard boil a bunch of eggs and leave them out on your desk. When you want one, just peel it at your desk and start munching away. Also, tuna fish is a fantastic option. I'd suggest you bring a slice of cheese and some toast with you so you can nuke the tuna in the microwave and make a delicious open-faced tuna melt.

... How exactly did you function in life before you found this board?

I opened this thread purely because I knew there had to be a question in here about how to make a basic decision.

If I bring lunch to work, I bring leftovers from the previous night's dinner as long as it's not fish.

With all sincerity and no mocking, OP, have you considered seeing a therapist about your problem with making choices for yourself?

It really depends on what your goals are health wise. If you want to just eat clean and healthy you need to plan out what your Going to eat for that week and try to have it pre-made. I stick to high protein and good fats, with extremely high carbs on days before I work our. Nuts and dried fruit a lot.

I buy lunch most days but I like to bring in left-overs when they are available (not fish, which is unfortunately malodorous in a microwave).

When I was younger and more cost conscious (and managing calorie intake for gym work outs) I made an effort on Sunday evenings to cook something specifically for lunches for the work week, e.g. pasta + chicken + sauce, or chili + rice, stew/casserole. I had around 10 good recipes in the rotation. Some dishes do better than others after microwave reheating. It did not bother me to eat the same thing for lunch all week and I would vary from week to week.

OP - no offence at all but I'm shocked that anyone over age 6 needs to ask about lunch vs. grazing on mixed nuts. What pattern of calorie intake has worked for you through your entire life so far?

To start you down the road in an easy way, go with sandwiches at first. Once making lunch becomes a habit, become more creative, adding carrot sticks or other nibbles, salad, leftovers from your dinner that you can warm up at work. But sandwiches will handle the commute (just don't use mayonnaise to avoid spoilage) just fine.

Also, I don't think vegetables will keep well during the commute (which is about 2 hours each way). I'd also prefer something small to eat as well so it doesn't take up too much space in my bag.

Carrot slices travel very well, don't require refrigeration, and they taste just as good several hours after slicing. Same with apples; I prefer granny smith but whatever gets you going.

Archived