It's official. Benedict Cumberbatch is Strange. The Doctor.

Bastard of Boston

4 hours ago, Pliskin said:

Hide contents

They're saying it's the highly influential doctor that Hydra is referencing, and not the sorcerer... Yeah, not convincing.

Hydra seemed to be targeting a huge number of people in Winter Soldier, it's not as if they were just going after potential Avengers. That said, even with a fairly loose criteria for choosing targets it's a bit hard to see how much of a threat a surgeon would be to them.

I thought the whole point of having one guy (Feige) overseeing all the films was precisely to keep everything consistent and avoid those silly errors. But I guess he just stopped working because the money just keeps coming without doing anything.

To be fair, if possibly contradicting a throwaway Easter Egg line from a film released several years ago was the worst continuity error we can find in the film then he's not doing too bad a job.

Wasn't the Hydra list an algorithm of people who could potentially become problems?  It calculated out potential futures and monitored them whether they had manifested powers yet or not.

Either way, as @williamjm says, I'm not too worried about a throwaway line.

3 hours ago, Rhom said:

Wasn't the Hydra list an algorithm of people who could potentially become problems?  It calculated out potential futures and monitored them whether they had manifested powers yet or not.

Yeah it's a minor thing, like the infinity gauntlet being in the background in Thor. Your explanation is possible, but that'd be one hell of a computer program to predict that. It'd still be weird that he mentioned Strange along with Banner and the others while attempting to explain to Rogers what the program does. That name probably meant nothing to Rogers and he certainly didn't know Strange would become a wizard in a few years.

I am just pretending that there were a couple tiny changes. One line early on about Iron Man blowing up his suits. One line about Thor and London once he's got his Marvel Sight Gags cape. Or those lines were sadly spoken off screen - those dopes! That way makes more sense, anyway, showing him gone to Nepal for a couple years. Instead of the Product Placement Shave as a time frame.

See, is'all fixed now.

7 hours ago, Rhom said:

This. The algorithm's intent was to wipe out a huge portion of the Earth's population. It's actually not far-fetched that regular Doc Strange was on that list. It wan't a small list. There might've been children on that list. Hydra was going to use predictive tech to kill anyone deemed to be powerful or influential in the world as a way to "reset" it...even people who were neither at that point, but could be.

Saw it this weekend and I loved it. 

I have always liked Benedict Cumberbatch so I was happy that he was playing Doctor Strange and I loved him in the role. I know Strange is suppose to be this arrogant, egotistical asshole but I didn't see that a lot in Cumberbatch's performance(maybe it's because I've seen him play that role as Sherlock)but he didn't come off very assholery to me. 

The story was okay and the villain was typical Marvel but the performances and visual effects more than made up for what the movie lacked. 

I really liked how Strange held on to the "Doctor" part of himself despite his hand injury. He might be this sorcerer and will be the future Sorcerer Supreme but he's been a Doctor for so long that it's a part of him and always will be with or without the use of his hands,I hope that that stays intact to his characterization for the future movies.  

I also liked how Marvel concluded the confrontation between Kacilius and Strange, it was new and different. The humor was great. 

I also liked how Strange wasn't the Sorcerer Supreme at the end of the movie

See it last night. I really enjoyed it. After seeing an advanced 15-min preview a few weeks ago, I was a bit worried that it wouldn't be able to juggle all the story it had to tell. The main villain's was duped, but he had reason to doubt the Ancient One. Mordu's philisophical position at the end felt organic and a natural outcome from the events. Someone in my theater yelled out "There can be only one!" after the post-credit, but Mordu's reasoning for wiping out the sorcerers made sense. As well as his very human notion that only he can be trusted to wield such power.

And the movie really nailed the ending. Reverse destruction is quite a change for a Marvel movie. 

One question: Am I the only one who thought Cumberbatch was channeling Harrison Ford for his American accent? So many of his deliveries just reminded me of Ford through the years.

The criticisms here seem more pedantic and minor than usual for a comic book movie, I take that as a good sign. I did the equivalent of "trade waiting" BvS and Suicide Squad based on feedback. For this one, kids and I are seeing it tomorrow. In 3D, thanks for that recommendation.

47 minutes ago, Leap said:

The best and most exciting part was still the trailer for Rogue One, which was awesome. Also the trailer for Logan was pretty great.

All I got was a trailer for the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie.  :dunno: 

I assume you are just referring to the R1 and Logan trailers that came out online a couple weeks ago?

As to the trailer talk, I was lucky (or un-lucky, perhaps) enough to see just about every damn blockbuster that's coming in the next year. Seriously, I think there were 10 full trailers. I'd already seen the Rogue One, Fantastic Beasts, Wonder Woman, and Logan trailers, but they all looked great on a big screen vs my computer screen. The xXx trailer was just unbearable, as was the Pirates thing - that they were making yet another one somehow slipped my knowledge. The Guardians teaser was uninspired, but I don't mind, because I enjoyed the first one so damned much. I expect a full trailer to be better, or at least have a different song.

I wish tickets weren't so absurdly overpriced these days. I do want to see Doctor Strange a second time. I enjoyed a lot of it, and frankly I was stone sober the first time and would like to be, well, stoned to blazes in the theater if I saw it again. I think it'll have to wait til my home theater, alas.

Already guaranteed to gross 1/2 a billion at the box office, which is once again showing that audiences are prepared to trust the people making the movies such that relative unknown characters will get big box office grosses. But I do think Benedict Cumberbatch was a great casting choice as he would have helped give people confidence that the movie is probably worth seeing.

Watched it today, found it fun and the visuals were great, but I'm in Germany at the moment so a lot of the jokes were going over my head (please that I understood a fair few of them though). On that note,

what did Strange say at the end when Kaecilius and the other bad guys got sucked into the dark world? I got that it was something along the lines of "read the whole book next time...", but didn't catch the rest.

18 minutes ago, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

Watched it today, found it fun and the visuals were great, but I'm in Germany at the moment so a lot of the jokes were going over my head (please that I understood a fair few of them though). On that note,

Hide contents

what did Strange say at the end when Kaecilius and the other bad guys got sucked into the dark world? I got that it was something along the lines of "read the whole book next time...", but didn't catch the rest.

Spoiler

"The warnings come at the end," or some such like that.

It was a joke about the scene earlier in the movie where he was manipulating the time gem and they told him he should have read the warning and he complained that the warning should come first.

3 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Whereabouts in Germany? Quite surprised if it's a major city that you didn't find somewhere showing it in English.
Unless you just didn't feel the need of course.

I'm living in a town called Kempten in southwest Bavaria. On the cinema's website they said they do show movies in the original language, but this showing was in German. Didn't mind though, as I am here to improve my German.

Thanks Rhom, I suspected it was a throwback to an earlier joke that also apparently went over my head. :P

Regarding the mid-credits scene...

Spoiler

Are we to assume that the ending of Thor 2 where Loki was impersonating Odin was some plan they had that fell flat? That off-screen, he just stopped bothering one day and told Thor and now they're looking for him on Earth?

2 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

Regarding the mid-credits scene...

Hide contents

Are we to assume that the ending of Thor 2 where Loki was impersonating Odin was some plan they had that fell flat? That off-screen, he just stopped bothering one day and told Thor and now they're looking for him on Earth?

I found that odd too, but that's the only conclusion I can come to.

Archived