Agent Carter

mcbigski

Carter is an actual product. They should have some kind of paperwork snafu over at ABC that "accidentally" flips the shows so Carter is the main one and SHIELD comes on for a mini-series every off-season.

Was that intentional?

I seem to be going against the grain here but as much as I am enjoying this, I want to get back to Agents.

Winter Soldier also showed Bucky waking up to be experimented on by Zola. Despite the fact that entire mission was an attempt to capture Zola, and he was very much in custody until the end of the war. And such a model assistant they had the genius idea of letting him help found SHIELD.

Zola experimented on Bucky in CA: The First Avenger. Cap saves him when he rescued the rest of the Howling Commandos.

Zola experimented on Bucky in CA: The First Avenger. Cap saves him when he rescued the rest of the Howling Commandos.

Maybe just the funny way it's shot. But it shows Zola being there in the snow when he wakes up (but it's probably just his fragmented mind shoving things together.)

Maybe just the funny way it's shot. But it shows Zola being there in the snow when he wakes up (but it's probably just his fragmented mind shoving things together.)

I guess I need to watch CA: TWS again. I don't remember exactly how that scene played out. Just figured that whatever Zola did to him in the first movie is the thing that saved his life when he fell.

Since I have not watched any of these shows you are talking about, can you tell me about this Zola story? And who is Bucky?

Shit sorry forgot this was the Carter thread not the general MCU.

CA1:FA and CA2:WS spoilers

Bucky is Caps best friend who went off to war before Steve got supified. He gets captured (is experimented on at least a little,) Steve rescues him, it's all very bromancy. Later Bucky falls off a train (and down a cliff) and is thought dead.

Zola is the lead Hydra scientist, he develops the weapons powered by the tesseract. He is captured on the train mission that Bucky falls out of. He goes on to be involved in founding SHIELD, he's instrumental to the plot of WS.

Bucky is revealed to be alive (with a metal super arm) and is a brainwashed covert (incredibly young looking) agent for HYDRA. In a flashback we see him have a series of jarring memories, that seem to show Zola finding him in the snow, and then giving a voiceover to his experimentation. But as he has been pretty intensively brainwashed it could just be the result of his jumbled memory.

I guess I need to watch CA: TWS again. I don't remember exactly how that scene played out. Just figured that whatever Zola did to him in the first movie is the thing that saved his life when he fell.

Well he did survive a fairly improbable fall, so probably something. The flashback is in the vault scene (which is a hell of a strange place to set up your secret agent lab, but whatever.)

Yeah he did, I really like that actor. It does seem a little strange that Howard Stark invented a "warming armor" that couldn't be removed once you put it on.

Well in theory it could be removed. The problem was that the battery was activated the moment the vest was locked and that it was unstable. Presumably if you tried to open the vest the battery would be disconnected but since the battery was unstable doing so would result in an explosion. So it was a lose-lose situation.

Well in theory it could be removed. The problem was that the battery was activated the moment the vest was locked and that it was unstable. Presumably if you tried to open the vest the battery would be disconnected but since the battery was unstable doing so would result in an explosion. So it was a lose-lose situation.

Which does make it seem odd that it would have made it to the prototype state, leave alone having enough of them produced that russian hypnotist knew their flaws, considering Stark is supposed to be a genius engineer.

Or it could be that Leviathan is just aware of what all the stuff in Howard Stark's vault is.

I'm actually more hung up on Stark being incompetent enough to build the thing in the first place, but yes, the fact that Leviathan has a detailed knowledge of what most/all of Stark's inventions do when not even Jarvis has all the information is a bit of a mystery.

I'm actually more hung up on Stark being incompetent enough to build the thing in the first place, but yes, the fact that Leviathan has a detailed knowledge of what most/all of Stark's inventions do when not even Jarvis has all the information is a bit of a mystery.

I assumed the vest was a work in progress and Stark intended to try to fix the problems at some point in the future when he wasn't distracted by some shiny new idea. And Leviathan could have stolen Stark's notes on the inventions along with the inventions themselves. I was more bothered by the awkward bits of Carter's interrogation they neglected to show, eg "you found me lying unconscious in the middle of a hallway; if you don't believe me about Dottie, how the hell do you think I ended up in that position?"

I assumed the vest was a work in progress and Stark intended to try to fix the problems at some point in the future when he wasn't distracted by some shiny new idea.

It's simply that this reads as having been written by a person who thinks that "inventing" works by slapping random bits of techy stuff together and see what happens. Starting with the idea of heated body armour and ending up with essentially the perfect suicide bomber outfit, complete with difficult/dangerous to open clasps, is something that I could see Homer Simpson pull off, but Howard Stark should be a bit more competent than that. I mean, clearly this wasn't the first one he built, as that evidently exploded, so he went ahead with the second prototype without fixing the most glaring flaw imaginable? What was the improvement from version 0.1 to 0.2? The colour?

It sounds like there were multiple unsuccessful attempts to get the battery working right; knowing the result of the flaw doesn't automatically provide perfect knowledge of how to fix it. A vest that switches on automatically when you close the clasps isn't an entirely stupid idea, assuming it adjusts the temperature to fit the environment when working properly.

Stark is a genius, but not exactly the most focused. He's characterized as someone without much foresight, and he's easily distracted. Hence, how he'd bang some girl, with said girl robbing him blind. It's not much of a stretch that he'd invent something without thinking of the potential for disaster. He seems like he'd jump in head first before realizing he let his ambition conquer the need for better planning. He'd totally be the dude with the lab full of halfway-finished, misfit inventions, which he stopped creating because some other idea came into his head. The "Don't touch that lava lamp, or you'll blow up half the continent," type.

A hole? Maybe. But, for me, it's nothing in the grand scheme. Overall, I've felt like both Agents and Carter have put in the best effort -- in terms of comic book shows -- to tell a tightly constructed story. Sure, there are holes, but never due to lack of trying. There's some really dumb shit going on with other shows, no matter how much fun they are.

Archived