Worst show that you continue to watch

Jack Bauer 24

Past tense, but Heroes for me. The first season was great. The second season was okay. Everything else was garbage, and I should have given up on it much sooner than I did.

Better lay off the sauce, friend. You're talking crazy. Everyone knows there was only one season of Heroes. It's a shame that show was cancelled so early. That one season it was on TV was fantastic.

Put me down as one that doesn't get at the GoT hate on here. What the fuck? Buncha hipsters don't like it now because it's so popular. Is that the phenomenon I am seeing here?

Better lay off the sauce, friend. You're talking crazy. Everyone knows there was only one season of Heroes. It's a shame that show was cancelled so early. That one season it was on TV was fantastic.

Put me down as one that doesn't get at the GoT hate on here. What the fuck? Buncha hipsters don't like it now because it's so popular. Is that the phenomenon I am seeing here?

We don't like it because it's not EXACTLY like the books, like it SHOULD BE.

But seriously, I don't get it either.

It's not a bad show per se, but Season 4 in particular had a lot of problems even from a non book readers perspective - inconsistency in character development (Jaime rape), lazy writing that doesn't really resolve to anything meaningful, the entire "Asha at the Dreadfort" scene was one of the worst scenes I've ever seen on any television show ever. At this point it's become strictly about the "shock value" of twists and death scenes, most of which are taken directly from Martin anyway because D$D obviously can't come up with anything good like that on their own.

It does have its moments, but its very overrated. The only time it was ever even close to as good as its hyped as being was Season 1.

So Game of Thrones can't be the worst show people watch? People crying about people not loving Thrones is just as annoying tbh

Nah, it's not like that. If somebody doesn't like the show then I'm okay with that.

Yeah, season four had lots of problems, I got that then and I get that now, but there's plenty of other shows out there that are a lot worse. I just try and view the show as the show and the books as the books.

There's excuse for napalming the shit out of Jojen though.

Strange that so many people quit Downton. Perhaps it was because I'm used to these costume drama's, but Downton was always more of a glorified soap than a great drama. I never really expected much from it. The show has definitely declined in quality somewhat, but the writing was never really an attraction for me. The costumes, Maggie Smith and British accents are still going strong. Those were always the main attractions. And season 5 has been much better than four.

I know I'm kind of a minority in this regard, but personally I actually think Spartacus got better as it went on. Like Blood and Sand definitely has some great moments, but I think people tend to forget about how the first 3 or 4 episodes were kind of boring and the pilot in particular kind of sucked ass. To the contrary I actually think the irony of Spartacus increased as it went on - every season felt more and more intentionally over the top than the next, until by the time of War of the Damned they completely traded in any semblance of taking themselves seriously in favor of striking every pronoun out of the script, making as many ridiculous, unnecessary slow mo cuts as possible, and having "Julius Fucking Caesar" refer to himself in the third person. War of the Damned is my favorite simply because of how absolutely hilarious I find it - Blood and Sand only comes close to being as funny when Batiatus is talking.

I will say that I was bored by most of the rebels actual storyline in War of the Damned though, and Naevia became pretty much intolerable. But I actually liked the War of the Damned more for the Roman storyline, Crassus was badass and easily the most legitimately respectable Spartacus villain (and was actually more like book Stannis than GoTs' Stannis), Caesar was chalked full of over the top smarminess and ironic laughs, and Tiberius...who didn't love to hate Tiberius? Idk maybe some people watched Spartacus more for the rebels, and in that case I can see why they'd dislike War of the Damned. But if nothing else I think we can all agree on the finale - everyone seemed to be pretty happy with it.

I'm sort of with you. Spartacus: war of the damned was the best season imo. Gods of the Arena comes second, Blood and Sand is third. Vengenace was kind of bad though. Particularly in the way they wasted Ashur. Imo, he was the best villain Spartacus had, but they fucked him over in season two. Especially towards the end.

Also agree on Naevia, ever since they recast her the character became increasingly hateable. Crixus was my favourite character and during the start of WotD I was actually worried that she would ruin his arc in that season. Luckily, the over the top action and the great endings for the main characters elevated that season.

Yo, are all the fight scenes in slow mo though? I don't want to be the "I saw two minutes and thought it was crap" guy, but damn.

The first episodes of Spartacus aren't very good. Skip straight to episode 4 and 5 if you want to get a feel about this show. If you don't enjoy those, you'll never enjoy Spartacus I'm affraid.

yeah being a bookreader has led me to hating things about the show I might not have hated otherwise but honestly I don't even need to compare it to the books for it to fall short all I need to do is match it up against the other great TV series and it doesn't stand up IMO.

I agree worst show is a bit harsh though, When its on its game it' can be as good as it gets but maybe the people saying that don't watch very much TV.

yeah being a bookreader has led me to hating things about the show I might not have hated otherwise but honestly I don't even need to compare it to the books for it to fall short all I need to do is match it up against the other great TV series and it doesn't stand up IMO.

I agree worst show is a bit harsh though, When its on its game it' can be as good as it gets but maybe the people saying that don't watch very much TV.

It's definitely not one of the greatest shows, but maybe one of the most popular. GoT is a favourite of mine, yet I wouldn't say that it's close to the best that I have seen.

It's kind of like Guardians of the Galaxy.

Strange that so many people quit Downton. Perhaps it was because I'm used to these costume drama's, but Downton was always more of a glorified soap than a great drama. I never really expected much from it. The show has definitely declined in quality somewhat, but the writing was never really an attraction for me. The costumes, Maggie Smith and British accents are still going strong. Those were always the main attractions. And season 5 has been much better than four.

The costumes and Maggie Smith are the reasons that I have hung around. You hit the nail on the head as to why I continue with it. I don't mind soap dramas. I just LOVED the first episode of Empire and it's just full of soapiness. Just something fell off with the story-telling the last two seasons. Hopefully, it will improve this year.

I hate-watched the final 2/3 of season one, then I flushed that turd. Most of the currently running showed mentioned in this thread are also shows I've quit:

Modern Family

Dr. Who

Castle

Once Upon a Time

Revolution

American Horror Story

Glee

Revenge

I guess I don't have the same tolerance for crap that I used to.

Same except I can't let go of ouat, mainly because I love Emma and Hook too much :P I just wish they'd stop with the incessant victim blaming and abuse erasure *cough*Regina's a rapist*cough*

Revenge just got ridiculous, it's so obvious that they've run out of material

There are a lot of reasons Downton is awesome. Costume design, historical accuracy, the dynamic between upstairs and downstairs. The way they make Lord Grantham the stupidest one of the whole bunch, yet he is the Earl with royal blood and owns the whole town. There is so much insight into early 20th century customs, prejudice, sexism and of course, the dining experience. Cannot get enough!

True Blood was the big one for me.

Dexter's last four seasons that somehow I managed to suffer all the way through. Also Weeds, but that went loopy after season 2 and I somehow watched all 8.

The Newsroom's third season was a cheese and corn buffet.

I kind of gave up on American Horror Story. Coven sucked and I only watched the first two episodes of Freakshow before saying 'fuck this'.

I guess The Walking Dead is the only current one but I haven't finished the last season yet.

They really can't. The only show that I've enjoyed every season of is Shameless.

Oh don't worry, they'll find a way to ruin it or just drag it out until it turns to shit. Showtime's biggest weakness is not knowing when to end their fucking series.

That said, I fucking love US Shameless and I can't wait for Sunday. Crossing my fingers that this isn't the season it goes downhill :P

Archived