Watch Watched and Watching: Episode X

AndyBaelish

Boyhood.

I had been putting this off for a while now because I was afraid of the critical acclaim. I thought that there was no way possible a movie could be this heralded and good at the same time. I was wrong. It is a profoundly moving story and an achievement in cinema. I could not have loved this movie more.

Can anyone tell me who Domnhall Gleeson plays in Calvary? Wikipedia says "Freddie Joyce" but I don't remember him at all.

I completely missed Domnhall Gleeson in the movie. I was blown away when I realized who he was playing. I thought that the scene he was in was one the strongest in the entire movie (which is a masterpiece) and I hadn't even recognized him.

Anyways he plays:

The serial killer Brendan Gleeson visits in jail.

I completely missed Domnhall Gleeson in the movie. I was blown away when I realized who he was playing. I thought that the scene he was in was one the strongest in the entire movie (which is a masterpiece) and I hadn't even recognized him.

Anyways he plays:

I loved that scene. The quiet emotion bleeding from that guy's face...

But it's still not as memorable as

Littlefinger Karate :P

Anyways he plays:

I loved that scene. The quiet emotion bleeding from that guy's face...

But it's still not as memorable as

Littlefinger Karate :P

That movie confirmed what I'd long suspected, Aidan Gillen can't act. His accent was as bad as Nicole Kidman in Far and Away. In the theater a bunch of people were laughing every time he opened his mouth.

Calvary is a great film, nop notch acting from both the Gleesons and O'Dowd made me wish he was in more serious stuff.

And Dylan Moran's character was funny as they usually are.

Though I was a bit surprised to find out that it was

The bartender who killed the dog

Can't really figure out why he did it though

Overall, I thought they were both good films but probably preferred The Guard, I think the supporting characters were more interesting in that and Liam Cunningham and Mark Strong made better villains than the fairly forgettable antagonists in KKBB.

Agreed both are good films but thinking back I'm genuinely struggling to remember who the baddies were in KKBB

Calvary is a great film, nop notch acting from both the Gleesons and O'Dowd made me wish he was in more serious stuff.

And Dylan Moran's character was funny as they usually are.

Though I was a bit surprised to find out that it was

The bartender who killed the dog

Can't really figure out why he did it though

He was pissed about the Church not doing anything for people like him who'd gotten fucked by bankers like Moran's character

I went to see Jupiter Ascending. I think my expectations were sufficiently lowered beforehand that I found it fairly enjoyable even if I wouldn't describe it as being a good movie. It was visually spectacular at times (even if some of the splices looked a bit too absurd) and there were some decent action scenes, it's just a pity that the script wasn't better.

One thing did surprise me...

Sean Bean was in the movie and didn't die. I didn't expect that at all, especially as his role is partially as the older mentor which is usually fatal even if not being played by Sean Bean.

I started Empire and it is actually very good even if the inevitable byproduct of these type of shows are a bunch of white trendy 20 something’s who think they understand the black experience in America because they watched a TV show.

I got dragged to Kingsmen and I thought it was really interesting to see Samuel L Jackson as a villain.

The Slap as has already been mentioned earlier continues the grand American tradition of stealing TV ideas from other counties and making them fucking terrible. Rest of the world I’m sorry we do that. The Australian version which is out there on various sites is not fantastic but it is at least watchable

The American version? The conflict and the series of events leading up to it are utterly unconvincing, the terrible evil horrible slapper man was trying to defend his children from a child who was going after them with a bat ball but everyone freaks out like he stuck his hand down the kid’s pants. By next year no one will remember this show except maybe as that crappy show where the kid was breastfeed way past an appropriate age. I mean you get a really disgusting “We need to talk about kevin” vibe from this kid.

While pretty much everyone on this show needs a slap the most utterly hilarious thing that happens is in the 2nd episode when the man who did the slapping has come over to the house to apologize and bitch mother is going the slap could scar him for life

Yeah the slap could do that but not the breastfeeding? I wouldn’t bring it up but the bizarre/surreal thing is that the kid is in her lap in the kitchen while he is trying to make the apology lady for the love of god put on a shirt.

I just saw an old Troma film, Blood Sucking Freaks. It was only released here uncut a few years back despite coming out in 1975 because for a while there was no point submitting it; the censors would have either highly cut or banned it. Unfortunately, it was only issued on Blu Ray, so I've had to download the thing. It is absolute trash, but wildly entertaining. It would be incredibly offensive if it weren't so preposterous it's near enough impossible to take seriously, and still quite startling in its absence of any taste.

Just went to see Whiplash for a second time. It absolutely holds up on a rewatch. Brilliant film. I took my mother with me this time, because I really wanted her to experience the film for herself. She loved it and it was great watching the film with someone who didn't really know anything about the story at all.

She was shocked when

The crash happened. She just sat there for like 3 minutes staring at the screen in disbelief

:D

I'm catching Selma with my mother tomorrow. I actually don't fancy it, but it's a film I feel I have to watch on account of the critical raves which it's received. I expected to be disappointed, in fact, with Whiplash, but my nits about its portrayal of the world of jazz excepted, I do agree it is a brilliant film.

Annie is boss. I'll admit that I used to find her a bit irritating in the beginning but the more I saw of her the more she impressed me.

I'm still not convinced by Britta(?) though

At the start of S5, when Harmon returned to the helm, they did a bunch of meta stuff in the first couple of eps and one of the things which came up was the complaints by fans of how the characterization of Britta had been somewhat sloppily handled, gradually turning her from someone defined by her social consciousness in the first two seasons into someone defined by her ditziness. I've always thought Gillian Jacobs did a good job though, even with the less than brilliant material she was given.

Watching Community, now that the internet is working properly again. Loving it :lol: Love Shirley :lol: Tiny nipples :lmao:

Make sure you watch this clip after you watch the episode "Critical Film Studies"

I'm loving the new sitcom "Fresh Off The Boat" more and more with each episode. I think part of it has to do with the nostalgia angle, it's set in 1995 - I'm an 80's kid but the 90's has fun memories for me too - and that the family is in the restaurant business as was mine, and also my dad is an American immigrant, though my mom was born here.

Was not expecting to like this show as much as I do, but each episode it keeps hitting all the right buttons for me.

Archived