Walking Dead Season 5 (Comic Spoilers)

Mark Antony

Thats true.

I remember when Rwanda was happening and followed that story. In only 100 days, 500,000 to 1,000,000 people were slaughtered in the genocide. People were mutilated in machete attacks, women had their breasts cut off, and it goes on.

If you go back and listen to what Ty said about his fathers stressing the importance of being involved and listening to the news, you can see that this was probably interlaced with his fever dreams of the current situation, which is why it was important that Lincoln do the news reports because his voice was vaguely familiar to him. It is probably also meant to imply that no civilization is safe from such violence.

Agreed, it was very nihilistic, and likely to become even more so.

The questions it asks and the answers invoked are difficult. We know that its human nature to want to survive. Maybe Carls generation can because they really won't know anything else.

But those who came before, like Ty and Dale who refused to give up their humanity in order to survive, make the decision that "its okay, its okay" to let go, and go "home."

This was not, nor would it ever be the world for him. Sasha may be a different story however, but I think there would be a lot of people who might come to the same conclusion as Ty, and I'm probably one of them.

I'm as about as optimisitc as one can be, and I might be able to do it for awile, but from an emotional standpoint, the stamina that one would need to keep going on in the face of things not getting better, the growing barbarism as Glen said, "it doesn't matter" would be hard.

We kind of see the same thing with Martins themes too. Only the dishonorable live, while those who died with honor, die. Though, the reality is, that for all that it was a brutal time, great beauty and love existed as well in Medieval times.

I suppose we have to wait and see if Kirkman gives our age the same chance.

At some point there has to be some hope though. The comics have reached that point where it's possible to at least see a brighter future possibly a generation after them but it's no longer about surviving for the sake of surviving but striving to rebuild. I guess the show will get there eventually.

One of the problems is the only way to realistically (or quickly) write a character out of the show is to kill them. They could maybe show some imagination and write a character out differently but they only do that if they can get the actor back. Tyreese could have easily said "I'm out" and stay behind somewhere. Not that I was a massive Tyreese fan but I'd like to not know a character is dying simply because they've been cast in something else.

I do hope they'll continue to follow the more pacifist thoughts with the Preacher - the show needs to have a moral compass around. It's what Hershel was good at and Tyreese provided some of the same.

Yes, great post, Alia. A nice sumary of the overall picture, thematically speaking.

Thank you. :bowdown:

At some point there has to be some hope though. The comics have reached that point where it's possible to at least see a brighter future possibly a generation after them but it's no longer about surviving for the sake of surviving but striving to rebuild. I guess the show will get there eventually.

One of the problems is the only way to realistically (or quickly) write a character out of the show is to kill them. They could maybe show some imagination and write a character out differently but they only do that if they can get the actor back. Tyreese could have easily said "I'm out" and stay behind somewhere. Not that I was a massive Tyreese fan but I'd like to not know a character is dying simply because they've been cast in something else.

I do hope they'll continue to follow the more pacifist thoughts with the Preacher - the show needs to have a moral compass around. It's what Hershel was good at and Tyreese provided some of the same.

And I think they will get to that point, BUT, its going to be a very emotionally draining road to get there.

I also get what you are saying about exiting the show. He could have left the same way that the family in S1 did when they decided to go to her mothers in Texas. I think we probably both know or suspect who is up next, unless Kirkman really pulls a switch.

I think Gabriel will probably be that moral compass as I believe he will be with them for awhile through this next road. But I agree, you have to have a balance of leadership, and personalities like Dale, Hershel, Tyreese, and now Gabriel has to be part of that balance.

I imagine another type of leader, wholly unexepected will also put in an appearance and join the group. ;)

I think Gabriel will probably be that moral compass as I believe he will be with them for awhile through this next road. But I agree, you have to have a balance of leadership, and personalities like Dale, Hershel, Tyreese, and now Gabriel has to be part of that balance.

I imagine another type of leader, wholly unexepected will also put in an appearance and join the group. ;)

It was interesting to see Rick at least question himself over killing again. It shows the Ricktator hasn't gone past the point of no return.

Could this other type of leader be some kind of saviour-like figure? Jesus still doesn't strike me as a leader as such more like a really useful guy in terms of getting things done and greasing the wheels of leadership.

The episode was ok. It just felt incredibly nihilistic. Must just be the accumulation but I kind of felt "what is the point"? their lives are all miserable. It also feels like you do have to be utterly cold and ruthless to survive. Help a kid out by going to his hometown and lose one of your crew. Take a moment to show empathy and you die.

I remember reading about seventy issues of the graphic novel in a span of a month or so in 2012 and by the end of that period I was more depressed than I had ever been in my entire life. I literally felt like dying. I realized that TWD had a huge part to play in that and have not read an issue since. So, in that way, the show is becoming true to its origin.

My favorite scene in the entire show took place in season 2,while Rick and Shane went on their road trip together. Shane is brooding, staring out the window, watching a Walker shamble through a field of golden wheat. The beauty juxtaposed with death stuck me mightily, and stayed with me since. The shown has not had a scene like that since, which is a damn shame. It's been all dark death and brutality.

It was interesting to see Rick at least question himself over killing again. It shows the Ricktator hasn't gone past the point of no return.

Could this other type of leader be some kind of saviour-like figure? Jesus still doesn't strike me as a leader as such more like a really useful guy in terms of getting things done and greasing the wheels of leadership.

There is a native american legend that fits with this I think. A grandfather was explaining to his grandson that all men(women) have two wolves inside them. The boy asked which one was good and which one was bad, and the grandfather said the one you feed.

Rick is intrinsically good, so he will always question, but how long he can bear up is the issue, which is why we see this theme, "you've been out there too long" along with "its okay to go home."

And agreed on Jesus.

My favorite scene in the entire show took place in season 2,while Rick and Shane went on their road trip together. Shane is brooding, staring out the window, watching a Walker shamble through a field of golden wheat. The beauty juxtaposed with death stuck me mightily, and stayed with me since. The shown has not had a scene like that since, which is a damn shame. It's been all dark death and brutality.

That was my favorite scene too for just that reason. Jims scene from S1 when he was leaning up against a tree, waiting for death looking through the leaves was another favorite of mine.

This show is so fucking depressing and it looks like they're definitely going to show Maggie's attempted suicide from the comics this season.

Is there even one funny character on this show loll

Well, I'm ready for Maggie to go away anyway, because I hope she doesn't think she is the only one hurting.

Well, I'm ready for Maggie to go away anyway, because I hope she doesn't think she is the only one hurting.

Exactly. She is not the only one who lost her whole family. She is the one who had her remaining family the longest save Rick, Carl and Judith.

Archived