House of Cards Season 3

Jack Bauer 24

I feel like Frank rose to power too quickly and the intrigue can get a little bit crazy. I enjoy it though. I hope season 3 is good.

LF, young guys like you don't remember how fast Gerald Ford came from obscurity to be the POTUS. He didn't even have to plot his way in to power, not that he had the brains to do so. Lyndon Johnson once commented that he could not walk and chew gum at the same time.

Hi, my name is Dr. Pepper and I'm a binger. I have finished season 3.

I really like how they explored different types of strength/character - those who grit their teeth and stick through it and those who can blow it all away. I knew Claire was likely to walk away when she sat and watched the monks create their sand art because we all knew exactly what was going to happen to that piece of art.

More later, I actually got a lot done while binging but I figure I should probably try to leave my house at least once today.

I've just finished 5

I think Stamper is playing Dunbar, showing her something he knows she'll never use, but keeping his options open in case she actually wins. BTW, it's hilarious (but very realistic) how Dunbar looks younger and 10 times hotter as soon as she's announces she's running.

Also, nice cameo there in the end. And any show improves by having Kim Dickens on it.

6 was the most intense episode yet:

I saw the activist's death coming; what I didn't see was Claire sabotaging the Frank and not-Putin peace plan like that. And looks like the marriage is going downhill for good now

I just watched Episode 6 too...intense episode!

I didnt see Corrigen's suicide coming. I could see from their heart-to-heart that it was actually getting through to Claire, so her outburst at the press release didn't surprise me.

Really interested in the Doug storyline, and Rachel/Max too

ETA: must not click Dr. pepper's spoilers...

Watched whole season. What a pile of meh. Went from being a show about a ruthless bastard to a show about marital difficulties.

I miss the show that had frank killing dogs and Claire giving a handy to a guy to prove a point.

Spoilers for the whole season:

While they made Frank somewhat toothless and weak and removed much of his ruthlessness, the real crime was what they did to Claire.

The first season showed us Claire as a woman who wasn't about being wooed or romanced or needing someone nice. She did fall for that artist, yeah - but her marriage to Frank was 25 years of understanding precisely what was going on and where it was going, and being there every step along the way. The only problems she ever had with Frank was with him hiding pertinent information or fucking up. This season dismantles that. This season has Claire completely losing her shit because someone killed themselves and having an emotional outburst that was embarrassing politically. It has her sympathizing and reconsidering being with Frank because she had a heart to heart with a young frazzled mom. She fails utterly at the ambassadorship and doesn't have the personal awareness that she had for the last 26 years to realize it. She gets played easily by the Russians and responds entirely due to emotion. It's pretty pathetic, and Claire went from one of the most fascinating ruthless politicians to a mediocre incompetent joke.

Spoilers for the whole season:

While they made Frank somewhat toothless and weak and removed much of his ruthlessness, the real crime was what they did to Claire.

The first season showed us Claire as a woman who wasn't about being wooed or romanced or needing someone nice. She did fall for that artist, yeah - but her marriage to Frank was 25 years of understanding precisely what was going on and where it was going, and being there every step along the way. The only problems she ever had with Frank was with him hiding pertinent information or fucking up. This season dismantles that. This season has Claire completely losing her shit because someone killed themselves and having an emotional outburst that was embarrassing politically. It has her sympathizing and reconsidering being with Frank because she had a heart to heart with a young frazzled mom. She fails utterly at the ambassadorship and doesn't have the personal awareness that she had for the last 26 years to realize it. She gets played easily by the Russians and responds entirely due to emotion. It's pretty pathetic, and Claire went from one of the most fascinating ruthless politicians to a mediocre incompetent joke.

Claire definitely wasn't showing the same sort of ruthless pragmatism she had in the first two seasons.

I just watched Episode 6 too...intense episode!

I didnt see Corrigen's suicide coming. I could see from their heart-to-heart that it was actually getting through to Claire, so her outburst at the press release didn't surprise me.

Really interested in the Doug storyline, and Rachel/Max too

ETA: must not click Dr. pepper's spoilers...

Episode 6 spoilers...

Once he asked for time to think and Claire agreed to take a short nap I pretty much guessed that she'd wake up and he'd be dead having hanged himself. I figured THAT would sink the deal and I didn't see Claire speaking out during the conference, though it was a pretty logical development.

EDIT: Ack, screwed up the code!

Episode 13

Such a cruel tease making it look like Doug was going to let Rachel go.:(

Overall I thought the season was pretty good. A bit up and down, but then I think this show always has been. Kim Dickens and Paul Sparks were both great. Even if it's hard for me not to see Sparks as Mickey Doyle (Boardwalk Empire).

Binged the whole season over the weekend.

It was overall a weak season, even more so than the last. It's beyond me why they would devote so much screentime to Doug. The guy is incredibly boring and poorly acted.

I really enjoyed the interactions with the Russian president, but beyond that I found most of the storylines unengaging and flat. The ending wasn't worthy of a season finale, and I can't really understand Claire's motivations. Why did she expect would happen? That Francis would announce her as his running mate?

Wait, they still haven't finished the fecking thing?

Three (short) seasons and out. That was the secret to the success of the original. Given how much filler there's been in the first two seasons (coming up on the end of Season 2), that's something they should have borne in mind for the remake. And let me guess, they haven't ruled it out going longer than four seasons? Meh.

I thought this was a much stronger season than season two. In two the only thing this show had going for it was Spacey hamming it up as Frank. In three, we finally got what this show desperatly needed, some halfway decent opponents.

Petrov, Dunbar, Jackie, Stamper for a while and now Claire

This show isn't exactly the greatest thing on television (it never was), but it's so much better when I can believe that Frank has to struggle with his opponents to get what he wants, instead of just curbstomping all opposition.

I'm looking forward to season four. I can't say that I hope for this series to end with Frank's downfall. He's an awful, awful person and in real life I would pray for such a politician to perish in a fire (so to speak), but having him come out on top in the series would send a pretty strong message to the world.

Archived