House of Cards Season 3

Jack Bauer 24

^ :agree:

:cheers: Another thing I liked, aside from the opponents, was the fact that individual agency in the end did matter.

The gay activist and the hurricane weren't Frank's opponents, but they interfered with his plan in a ver believable way. In season two Frank would have willed the hurricane the other way and defeated Death itself to get the activist back (I'm exaggerating, but you get the point). It really showed that Frank isn't omnipotent, despite his ruthlessness.

so I cheated and spoiled myself to the end....

Rachel anticipation was killing me

RIP :crying: :tantrum: :bawl: :bang: :frown5:

This is a major Rachel spoiler

I can't say I was ever a big fan of

her, but you have to admit that the way they handled this storyline was pretty great. I dreaded her scenes last season, so I was glad they kept it to a minimum. And the way they handled her death was really great. What an irredeemable asshole Stamper is :)

:cheers:

I can't say I was ever a big fan of

her, but you have to admit that the way they handled this storyline was pretty great. I dreaded her scenes last season, so I was glad they kept it to a minimum. And the way they handled her death was really great.

What an irredeemable asshole Stamper is :)

OMFG I know right! I didn't feel sorry for him an inkling while he was recovering! but her death just confirmed that!

Honestly, I think it had something to do with his med's .....that look he had.............it was so :uhoh: empty and it was a sudden thing too..........like "okay, I'll let you go, I'll move on, I'm an asshole" *drives away* "hmmmm...........changed my mind!"

ETA

Oh, and yes I agree with you, the storyline was superb!

:cheers: Another thing I liked, aside from the opponents, was the fact that individual agency in the end did matter.

The gay activist and the hurricane weren't Frank's opponents, but they interfered with his plan in a ver believable way. In season two Frank would have willed the hurricane the other way and defeated Death itself to get the activist back (I'm exaggerating, but you get the point). It really showed that Frank isn't omnipotent, despite his ruthlessness.

That's one of the reasons I preferred this season to the others. I mean, the way he got rid of Walker was just ridiculous. So when I started watching this season I sort of feared that when the end credits of the final episode went up he would have solved all the Middle-East/North Africa problems and found the cure for AIDS. It was refreshing

to see him get such worthy opponents. I especially enjoyed Dunbar.

I can understand people's frustrations with Season 3 Claire.

I think the creators might have been trying to humanise her. It both works and fails. It works because we have seen this woman be the sketchiest person ever, besides her husband, because of her ambition for both of them. Her devotion to him has become another facet of her personality.

It fails because it is inconsistent with the character. I don't know :dunno: But I thought it was kind of an evolution. That way we don't get the same character being shoved down our throats and we don't just assume that she is, in fact, human since we've seen her walking around and blinking. This way, we see her make glaring mistakes and we get to see just how egotistical she and Frank are. If she had not done such a sub-par job as ambassador it would have been annoying. Her inadequacies, as well as her husband's, are things we needed to see. And they[Claire-Frank] needed it too...if only to prove that perhaps they're not the gods' gift to the world. And karma, I think. Karma.

Luckily I got sick on Thursday of last week, gave me an excuse to binge on this show Saturday and Sunday!

I was not too happy with the season overall. I prefer my Claire cold and calculating, not emotional and human!

Doug is one of my favorite characters on the show and the more he is shown the better for me, Remy couldn't carry his jock strap, I mean he was done in by a woman pretty easily.

I can't do the damn spoiler thing correctly so I will not say much else until I see others have already done it.

Doug is one of my favorite characters on the show and the more he is shown the better for me, Remy couldn't carry his jock strap, I mean he was done in by a woman pretty easily.

The mild sexism aside...This is how you indicate a spoiler:

(Spoiler)what you want to hide(/spoiler)

But use square brackets instead of round ones i.e. []

LOL... @Kyoshi, I didn't mean that comment about Remy to be sexist at all. I meant it as his heart did him in! He was done in by loving a woman, not becuase she is a woman and can't outsmart a man, believe me3 enough women have outsmarted me in my life for me to ever think that!

hide my shame!

Episode 13

Such a cruel tease making it look like Doug was going to let Rachel go.:(

Overall I thought the season was pretty good. A bit up and down, but then I think this show always has been. Kim Dickens and Paul Sparks were both great. Even if it's hard for me not to see Sparks as Mickey Doyle (Boardwalk Empire).

Did you see Kim was cast in TWD spin off?

I finished season 3. It started a little slow, but very interesting in thematic

in that Frank, once he gets to the top, reveals himself to be utterly ill-suited to the role because the personality and the enemies he created to get there in the first place. But that was for the most part abandoned by the end.

While there were some good moments with Petrov (who's Mads Mikkelsen elder brother, but even if you didn't saw his IMDB page you can probably figure it out due to resemblance), they butchered Claire's. It's understandable she'd be affected by the gay activist, but not the point of destroying Russia-US relations. And Frank was entirely right in that she was a fool if she expected something, and that she will never get far in politics without him.

Not a bad season at all, tbh. Better than S2 for sure, perhaps on par with S1, but I'd need a rewatch to call that... Anyway, had some of the best moments of the entire show.

Weak final episode, though, expected more... The Rachel part was solid actually, brutal, but good.

As many others here, not a huge fan of what they did with Claire, but curious to see where it goes.

Putin, er, I mean Petrov, was a highlight for me, wish there was more of him.

Also, hope they're not done with Yates and the book. That whole storyline felt like a red herring a bit in the end...

All in all, an entertaining little semi-binge for me, didn't really expect much more.

Finished...

The whole thing with Claire was getting pretty tiresome, I think the writer storyline was pretty dumb, I didn't care for any of the Russian story either. I find lots of the political stuff pretty unrealistic. And yet I still come out feeling like I got my money's worth (or I guess ~13 hours worth). Kevin Spacey's acting makes this show, he's soooooo good.

Just finished it. In a word, disappointed. Just as weak as season 2 but for entirely different reasons. They handled the main S2 criticism in giving Frank & Claire strong formidable opponents this time around. However, pretty much everything else about the show and the characters suffered a steep decline in quality.

Last night I viewed the first episode. That was a dull 40 + minutes. Does it get better? Moreover, as Frank's agenda as POTUS is so entirely NOT my agenda for the nation, there's no way one can take any sneaky pleasure in his shenanigans.

HOC was so dull I switched over the first episode of the Sundance Channel's Red Road, a six-ep series. RR may be murky, but the one and a half episodes I was able to watch were suspenseful. The scenery is wonderful. Also, the guy who was Drogo in Got, is a primary. His on-screen presence is mesmerizing.

Just finished:

I really enjoyed the season. Paul Sparks and Lars Mikkelsen did a great job with their roles. I was surprised Doug survived. I was thoroughly convinced that Rachel killed him at the end of the second season. Doug is my favorite character on the show so I'm cool with his comeback (even though I don't typically care for reprieves); at least they made his recovery a struggle for him; physically and mentally. I think the way he played Dunbar was brilliant.

As for Claire, we really see her in vulnerable positions this season; even a bit over her head. People may have been upset that she was duped by the Russians, but they may fail to remember that Claire is a rookie on this kind of political field -- dealing with world veterans of political affair, and no longer office employees of the CWI. I like that she walked away from Frank in the last scene. This should lead to more strife for Frank who has faced tougher opposition this season. There were times where I thought Frank was going to go Pete Russo and Zoe Barnes on Yates. I suppose he's too high up to be doing that stuff on his own now.

A few random things I noticed this season: I feel like Frank looked at the camera fewer times. I haven't done a re-watch of the first two seasons, but I think he did it more in the first two. I really liked the part when he had the meeting with Dunbar where Petrov put out his cigar, and said he'd slit her throat in broad daylight if she opened her mouth about Claire. The ferorcity in which he said it made me laugh.

The other thing happened in the last episode when Claire was talking to Frank in the kitchen. Lester Holt was on the television on what looked like the NBC Nightly News. I'd imagine they shot that scene a while ago, before the Brian Williams incident. Is there a chance that they made that last second adjustment before releasing the whole season?

Last night I viewed the first episode. That was a dull 40 + minutes. Does it get better? Moreover, as Frank's agenda as POTUS is so entirely NOT my agenda for the nation, there's no way one can take any sneaky pleasure in his shenanigans.

HOC was so dull I switched over the first episode of the Sundance Channel's Red Road, a six-ep series. RR may be murky, but the one and a half episodes I was able to watch were suspenseful. The scenery is wonderful. Also, the guy who was Drogo in Got, is a primary. His on-screen presence is mesmerizing.

I still have a couple of episodes to go, and frankly, I am a little bored with the show. The politics are completely unbelievable to me, and there is far less dog murder.

Archived