Walking Dead Season 5 (No Comic Spoilers) Part 4

l2 0 5 5

^^^^^Tracker

Just because the lights are on doesn't mean they are doing ANYTHING right. Do you really believe that if the claimed gang had come along and happened upon Alexandria that they would still be alive? Or the Govenor? Either of those groups had found this place and Alevandrians are dead, period. Their entire survival thus far has been because no large group of baddies has found them.

I think its a reasonable assessment to say that the mindset and preparedness of Alexandria would leave them ill-equipped to deal with a group like the Termites or even the Claimers. But I don't think its fair to condemn them for weakness because of it. They've just had a very different experience in the ZA than Rick's group, who have essentially been pin-balled around between one horrible experience and another. So who's to say which version of the ZA is more the norm?

And if they haven't prepared for bloody conflict with rival groups its only because they haven't had that need, and may not even have any reason to think that should be a concern. Their strategies and defenses have obviously served them well enough in the face of the threats that they have had to face.

I think its a reasonable assessment to say that the mindset and preparedness of Alexandria would leave them ill-equipped to deal with a group like the Termites or even the Claimers. But I don't think its fair to condemn them for weakness because of it. They've just had a very different experience in the ZA than Rick's group, who have essentially been pin-balled around between one horrible experience and another. So who's to say which version of the ZA is more the norm?

And if they haven't prepared for bloody conflict with rival groups its only because they haven't had that need, and may not even have any reason to think that should be a concern. Their strategies and defenses have obviously served them well enough in the face of the threats that they have had to face.

And they were proactive about seeking out and recruiting folks who could fill that role. And hell, Aaron is pretty badass. It took balls of steel to approach a group of strangers with his offer the way he did.

I agree with what you are saying here. In some ways Rick saying that the Alexandrites are delusional is like an Afghani in today's time saying that Westerners are delusional, because they drive to work without assault rifles. In the Western world you don't need to carry an assault rifle. The delusional thing would be to do so.

I agree with what you are saying here. In some ways Rick saying that the Alexandrites are delusional is like an Afghani in today's time saying that Westerners are delusional, because they drive to work without assault rifles. In the Western world you don't need to carry an assault rifle. The delusional thing would be to do so.

Er, no, I don't think that's and apt comparison at all. It would be more like an Afghani stumbling across some isolated Afghani village that was somehow miraculously untouched by war and being incredulous at their lack of assault rifles.

I don't consider the Alexandrians weak, just not tested/weary enough to understand the world they are living in. They happened upon a community that had solar power, an apple orchard, a water sistern system and no competing people around to take it from them. They did the one thing that made sense, they put up a wall. But even the wall isn't designed for this world, only designed for zombie defense.

Now, had they gone through even half of what TWD group has been through, and then they found this place, you can bet that the wall would be built to withstand cars ramming it and humans climbing over it. They would have cleared 100' away from the walls to use as sightlines against invaders and they would have numerous towers set up and manned all the time.

I believe that the people of Alexandria are what they appear to be, good people, I didn't think this at first since we haven't seen anyone else who is, well, innocent. It's just that in this world they are out of place compared to what we have seen through our groups eyes.

Even the wall is reflective of Alexandria's selfish nature and the practice of just leaving stragglers for the walkers. Basic fence etiquette dictates that you have the 'good side' of a fence facing outside towards your neighbors. Many towns and municipalities actually used to have a job that was just inspecting fences and resolving fence disputes, and this is one of the basic things they enforced. And this is without even taking into account the fact that the supports seem to mostly prevent someone from inside from pushing the wall over. Those braces don't do shit to stop something pushing it over from the outside.

It's not that they're weak - it's that they are really green for this world and haven't realized that they need to look out for eachother when they're in danger, whether that means separating the drunk doctor from his wife instead of leaving her to him as a punching bag, or helping a fellow Alexandrian who's being mobbed by walkers. If you just run behind your walls everytime something happens, eventually you'll find yourself alone. Die alone or live together.

Alexandria has been good at preserving a sense of community, although it's mostly the superficial things they've maintained. That still counts for something, but at some point you need to worry less about pastamakers and more about why your scouting groups keep dying and try to come up with a way to keep the doctor effective and his family safe. Deanna and Aaron seem to be aware of all this it just seems like they've been having a difficult time dragging the rest of the community into the reality of Zombie World.

Regardless of how it happened, the Alexandrians have managed to survive up to this point. Unless these wolves have just appeared on the scene, Alexandria has been able to coexist with them. Even when places like Noah's family's community have been overrun. (Maybe they pay them a tax.)

I would also venture to guess that communities like Alexandria are probably more of the norm than bands of people traveling hundreds of miles and surviving. I can't imagine the country being filled with groups like Rick's.

Er, no, I don't think that's and apt comparison at all. It would be more like an Afghani stumbling across some isolated Afghani village that was somehow miraculously untouched by war and being incredulous at their lack of assault rifles.

Sure, my point being that you live according to your context. What doesn't work in one context may be just fine in another.

So I finally watched this weeks episode last night. After a look through the thread I think I got a different impression of the Rick/Pete/Jessie situation than some others. I don't think Rick is Shane 2.0 or that he is any more crazy than before. Sure the situation wasn't handled well and it took Michone knocking him out to desculate the situation but I think Rick tried to handle it right and had Pete not showed up when he did it could have been a lot better. Also he could of left when Pete told him to and returned with back up for the seperation enforcement.

Anyway Rick's positiin is very come backable and I still like him. It looks like Deanna will excile him though and I guess a herd of walkers or the "w" gang will be what gets him back in the good books. (After he kicks some arse and helps save them all.

So who put of Ricks group are gonners this next ep? I'd guess a few of the minor characters (like Eugene or Rosita) and maybe one of the big characters like Glenn or Darryl? And a whole heap od Alexandrians. Probably Pete, Nicolas and either Deanna or her hubby.

So who put of Ricks group are gonners this next ep? I'd guess a few of the minor characters (like Eugene or Rosita) and maybe one of the big characters like Glenn or Darryl? And a whole heap od Alexandrians. Probably Pete, Nicolas and either Deanna or her hubby.

My question is, if Glenn does die will the people who sit there every episode counting the number of people of each race notice? Or is that only when the number of black people drops below whatever the approved number is?

My question is, if Glenn does die will the people who sit there every episode counting the number of people of each race notice? Or is that only when the number of black people drops below whatever the approved number is?

Yeah, I imagine the people who refuse to acknowledge the black male problem will continue to make it all about overall demographics. Like you're doing here.

I know you don't understand the point, but I'll state it again. It's a black male problem. Not the number of black males. Not the number of members from all minority groups. Not the number of white people dead vs black people dead. It's the way the black male characters are treated within the script that's being remarked upon.

Here's a treat for all of us who hate Coral:

http://www.funnyordie.com/articles/a144463a26/an-imagined-walking-dead-script-from-a-guy-who-hates-carl

Starting watching again on Netflix, ugh, I hated Lori too. So stoooopid. She and Coral cause so many deaths! I felt that Lori wanted both Shane and Rick the whole time. I can't remember if she found out about Andrea and Shane, hoping she does and she gets jealous.

How they are treated in the script? Such as?

What? The script is just a dumb joke, I could care less, but I find CORAL annoying and I know lots of other fans share this sentiment.

I was just relating how terrible Lori was, the early seasons aren't fresh for me- I saw them years ago- so had forgotten some of the side drama

Yeah, I imagine the people who refuse to acknowledge the black male problem will continue to make it all about overall demographics. Like you're doing here.

I know you don't understand the point, but I'll state it again. It's a black male problem. Not the number of black males. Not the number of members from all minority groups. Not the number of white people dead vs black people dead. It's the way the black male characters are treated within the script that's being remarked upon.

LoL! Am watching "Bloodletting" from S2 & TBone tells Dale head on that being that black guy is "precarious". So the actors know themselves about the black man problem.

No no I was talking to the post above yours.. Carl is getting better; but still gets on my nerves sometimes

Remember when Carl kept teasing the walker who was stuck in the mud? I was disappointed when it didn't take Carl down for his stupidity. I know they were both kids, but Sophia was stupid for running off twice like that, Carl always runs away and starts trouble for the group.

Let's face it, if you're someone who thinks TWD has a bunch of well-developed, complex characters (outside of black males), you're probably not someone I'd seek out opinions on TV from.

Glad you're there to wring your hands for the rest of us though.

Archived