Don't Bother Me Here

l2 0 5 5

Where do you hate to be bothered at?

I like to go to a mall by my house that used to be extremely populated when I was a child. It now never has more than 50 people at one time frequenting it, and it's a large mall. There's something nostalgic and relaxing about the place. Not to mention they have a huge comic store, book store, Game Stop, and Cash in Culture (good enough for me).

I went there a few weeks ago, ready to just walk around, aimlessly, with no real agenda, when a man and woman approached me, prompting me to talk about my religious beliefs, and if I believed in the Bible. I was immediately annoyed, and even though they were nice and cordial, it ruined my whole damn trip. After a fifteen minute discussion, I just turned around and went home.

When I'm walking to work. I walk quickly and with purpose almost in my own world and can't stand walking through Cardiff city centre to get to work and having loads of people try and usher me over. Nope. Sorry. Not stopping. No really, I'm not stopping. Wait, are you walking alongside me? WTF DUDE look at my ears they have ear phones in, nope, still not looking, FUCK OFF.

The gym. Twice in the past two days, perfectly well meaning people have tried to start conversations with me and gotten the (polite) brush off. I feel vaguely bad about it, but not enough to not do it again. Gym time is my time, leave me alone.

The gym. Twice in the past two days, perfectly well meaning people have tried to start conversations with me and gotten the (polite) brush off. I feel vaguely bad about it, but not enough to not do it again. Gym time is my time, leave me alone.

I hated having conversations in the gym.

When I'm walking to work. I walk quickly and with purpose almost in my own world and can't stand walking through Cardiff city centre to get to work and having loads of people try and usher me over. Nope. Sorry. Not stopping. No really, I'm not stopping. Wait, are you walking alongside me? WTF DUDE look at my ears they have ear phones in, nope, still not looking, FUCK OFF.

Ear phones in should definitely be a sign.

Nowhere in particular but I can't imagine I'd be particularly inclined to spend 15 minutes talking to religious weirdos anywhere.

In a waiting room? Sure. At the mall? Absolutely fucking not.

Mine is completely ridiculous and deserving of some pretty serious eye-rolling. I hate being bothered when I'm shopping. No, not that I hate being bothered by random evangelicals or girl scouts selling cookies or anything like that. I hate being 'bothered' by the sales staff. My thing is that I have a purpose when I go shopping. I know what I want and if I need help I'll ask. I dont want to be welcomed when I walk into a store because it's almost always followed by a gazillion hour long speech about the specials. I don't want someone constantly asking me if I need help, especially if it's more than once or if the place has many employees and they all ask that same question. It all makes me feel like I'm being monitored and followed, as though they are looking at me like I'm about to steal something. It bothers me a great deal

Mine is completely ridiculous and deserving of some pretty serious eye-rolling. I hate being bothered when I'm shopping. No, not that I hate being bothered by random evangelicals or girl scouts selling cookies or anything like that. I hate being 'bothered' by the sales staff. My thing is that I have a purpose when I go shopping. I know what I want and if I need help I'll ask. I dont want to be welcomed when I walk into a store because it's almost always followed by a gazillion hour long speech about the specials. I don't want someone constantly asking me if I need help, especially if it's more than once or if the place has many employees and they all ask that same question. It all makes me feel like I'm being monitored and followed, as though they are looking at me like I'm about to steal something. It bothers me a great deal

Yes +1

+2

I hate to be bothered, period.

Some people could interrupt me doing my most favorite thing in the world and I'd still be thrilled to hear from them. Other people could interrupt me while I watched paint dry and I would be ticked.

I was of this mindset until I worked in retail and discovered how completely mind-bendingly boring it often is. You're not allowed to read, or play with your phone or even sit down, you've just got to stand there and wait for someone to need you. When you walk into a shop and the staff come bounding at you like eager puppies, it's often more that they're bored out of their skulls than anything else.

Count me as another who dislikes being bothered at all. I don't want to make small talk with strangers, really, I would rather stare at this wall in silence. But sometimes it ends up being a pleasant interruption, but even so, I have that initial spike of irritation. And yeah, hate pushy sales people, they make me so uncomfortable that I might end up leaving even if I wanted to buy something.

GNC, for example.

Yup. Also Gamestop, I will never go back there ever. Them trying to push pre-ordering games on you when you just ran in to pick one game up. I'm a pretty calm person but have gotten into a few arguments with these guys because they either won't take my first no for an answer or can't believe I wouldn't want to put down money for some popular game to come out soon.

I was of this mindset until I worked in retail and discovered how completely mind-bendingly boring it often is. You're not allowed to read, or play with your phone or even sit down, you've just got to stand there and wait for someone to need you. When you walk into a shop and the staff come bounding at you like eager puppies, it's often more that they're bored out of their skulls than anything else.

That's why I say it's ridiculous and a bit eye-rolling because basically I'm railing against poorly paid people who are just doing their job, and it's a shitty job at that. Plus, I have alternatives. I can order all this stuff online and it would be a lot easier on everyone.

Archived