Watch, Watched, Watching: The D Is Silent

Nox Irradiata

Perfect review as I pretty much agree with all you've said. It was creepy, original and the score was brilliant. Maika Monroe will definitely be a star soon, she's good.

It is definitely not for everyone though. There wasn't too many people in the movie theatre but from the ones that were there, I heard a lot of complaints as I walked out. I think they were expecting the normal, cliche horror movie. Oh well, I recommend highly.

Nice, I'm glad you liked it :cheers: If you haven't seen it already, you should definitely check out The Guest, another movie where Maaike Monroe does a bang up job :) It's a little bit more to the fun side of horror (it feels more like an action movie to me) and I greatly recommend that one as well :)

EDIT: I thim I'm going to open a thread about It Follows. I'm sure in time more people here will check it out and it is a movie worthy of discussion imo. It all worked out great with the Edge of Tomorrow thread last year.

I've seen The Guest and thought it was great too, another cool film with a good score. So Maika is 2 for 2 with me so far. I'd be down for its own thread.

I watched The Imitation Game the other day and it was exactly what I thought it would be. A decent enough film with good acting but the plot felt rushed at times and overrall it just seemed like it was missing something. I didn't know anything about Alan Turing beforehand so the story in itself was definitely interesting though.

I tried to watch New Girl but it was everything I expected...in a bad way. Hopefully it got better but it looked like a caricature of Deschanel's public image.

New Girl does absolutely nothing new. It's pretty much just a straight up sitcom with a manic pixie dreamgirl as the lead so if either of those annoy you, then yeah New Girl may not be for you.

I can't remember exactly, but I think I managed to endure about the same amount of the film.

I've seen four Oliver Stone films but out of them JFK was the only one I thought was any good, and even that wasn't that great.

I think I've only seen, maybe, three movies made by Stone and none have really impressed me. NBK was terrible and both JFK and Platoon were... decent to good but not really great.

I have seen a couple of movies by Oliver Stone. I know I have seen Platoon, Born on the Fourth of July, NBK, both Wall Streets and Alexander. Platoon is a great movie imo, it's been a couple of years since I last saw it, but I loved that movie as a kid. Bot4J is also a pretty good flick. NBK, Alexander and the second Wall Street are terrible movies. They are really, really bad.

The first Wall Street is a movie that has aged terribly I think. I also dislike it greatly since every vulture capitalist adores that movie. It's pretty funny in a sad, sad way. Oliver Stone tried to create a movie that is as anti-capitalist as it can be, but he ends up creating a role model for generations of asshole bankers.

I've seen The Guest and thought it was great too, another cool film with a good score. So Maika is 2 for 2 with me so far. I'd be down for its own thread.

Let's make it a Maaike Monroe thread XD

I like Natural Born Killers. Although, I fully admit I'm a massive Tarantino fanboy, so the fact that he wrote it might make me biased. :dunno:

It's got a really good cast, Woody Harrelson, Juliette Lewis, Tommy Lee Jones, Robert Downey Jr, and Tom Sizemore. It has a weird style though, so I can absolutely understand why people wouldn't like it.

I'm working through The Americans. I'm on Season 2/Episode 5. I'm also working through Netflix's Daredevil. I'm on Episode 6.

My weekly shows that I'm caught up on are Monday's (Gotham, The Following, The Night Shift), Tuesday's (Justified), Thursday's (The Blacklist, Vikings), Saturday's (Outlander), and now Sunday's starting tonight Game of Thrones! And Silicon Valley and Salem.

I like Natural Born Killers. Although, I fully admit I'm a massive Tarantino fanboy, so the fact that he wrote it might make me biased. :dunno:

It's got a really good cast, Woody Harrelson, Juliette Lewis, Tommy Lee Jones, Robert Downey Jr, and Tom Sizemore. It has a weird style though, so I can absolutely understand why people wouldn't like it.

I think it was the style that didn't really work for me. I like the films Tarantino has directed, so I'm not sure whether I'd have liked NBK any better if Tarantino had directed it rather than Stone.

Doing some off-site training all week for work and the traffic each way is horrendous. It's going to be a looong week and I'm pretty much a stress-ball when I get home. Looking for some suggestions for good movies or shows to watch when you just want to kick up your feet on the coffee table and relax. Thanks. :cheers:

I avoided New Girl for the first three seasons precisely because I'm allergic to that manic Zooey dreamgirl stuff, but so many people who share my TV comedy tastes (30 Rock, Community, Silicon Valley, Veep, Parks & Rec etc) told me it was worth checking out that I did, which is when I discovered I'd been a fool.

Not only is Zooey not as annoying as I feared, she's legit hilarious and charming, and not only is she legit hilarious and charming, the three main cast members who play off of her are some of the funniest actors on TV right now. It's 100% true that plot-wise it's much less adventurous than the likes of Veep and Community and Brooklyn Nine-Nine, but as an overall ensemble the core group is funnier than any other sitcom I've seen lately with the exception of Veep. And Veep has Julia Louis-Dreyfus out front, so they're pretty much cheating really. New Girl's not a show you watch for plot (although, like Parks & Rec, it can be surprisingly touching at times), it's a show you watch because people say funny things funny and usually have funny faces while doing it.

I love it.

Doing some off-site training all week for work and the traffic each way is horrendous. It's going to be a looong week and I'm pretty much a stress-ball when I get home. Looking for some suggestions for good movies or shows to watch when you just want to kick up your feet on the coffee table and relax. Thanks. :cheers:

So yeah, for shows, Veep and New Girl. Brooklyn Nine-Nine is nice and fluffy and feelgood if you want something which moves a little slower.

For movies, and it sounds like comedies are what you need, I recommend the heck out of Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story, MacGruber, Black Dynamite and the two Jump Streets, 21 and 22. Also, if animation floats your boat, the two How To Train Your Dragons and the two Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballses.

Have you watched Bottle Shock on Netflix? Alan Rickman as a wine snob. Great movie.

Have you watched Bottle Shock on Netflix? Alan Rickman as a wine snob. Great movie.

Speaking of Alan Rickman, Galaxy Quest is always worth a watch/rewatch Nox. :cheers:

I avoided New Girl for the first three seasons precisely because I'm allergic to that manic Zooey dreamgirl stuff, but so many people who share my TV comedy tastes (30 Rock, Community, Silicon Valley, Veep, Parks & Rec etc) told me it was worth checking out that I did, which is when I discovered I'd been a fool.

Not only is Zooey not as annoying as I feared, she's legit hilarious and charming, and not only is she legit hilarious and charming, the three main cast members who play off of her are some of the funniest actors on TV right now. It's 100% true that plot-wise it's much less adventurous than the likes of Veep and Community and Brooklyn Nine-Nine, but as an overall ensemble the core group is funnier than any other sitcom I've seen lately with the exception of Veep. And Veep has Julia Louis-Dreyfus out front, so they're pretty much cheating really. New Girl's not a show you watch for plot (although, like Parks & Rec, it can be surprisingly touching at times), it's a show you watch because people say funny things funny and usually have funny faces while doing it.

I love it.

Don't know if my sig works because I'm on tapatalk, but it's a Schmit quote.

Just watched the series finale of Moone Boy, still giggling like a schoolgirl at 'Booby and Tits O'Toole'

Don't know if my sig works because I'm on tapatalk, but it's a Schmit quote.

Just watched the series finale of Moone Boy, still giggling like a schoolgirl at 'Booby and Tits O'Toole'

Oh, I always disable sigs on every forum I'm on, so I know nothing Jon Snow about anyone's sigs, but if you have a quote from our boy in yours then I salute you. :cheers:

Watched the first episode of Silicon Valley. Seems like it's lost a lot of the mojo it had in season 1 along with the actor who played Peter Gregory. Was underwhelmed by the premiere, hope it gets better.

Archived