Watch, Watched, Watching: The D Is Silent

Nox Irradiata

April 18th!

Good good. I'm actually going to set a reminder on my phone for this :p Does anyone know if BBC iPlayer shows things as they air? Or will I need to wait until the Sunday to watch?

Battle of 5 Armies. If I forget it was based on a book I read, it was entertaining.

One scene I had been looking forward to though was cut out - the funeral of Thorin. Really wanted to see them laying Orcrist on him through a voice over.

Battle of 5 Armies. If I forget it was based on a book I read, it was entertaining.

One scene I had been looking forward to though was cut out - the funeral of Thorin. Really wanted to see them laying Orcrist on him through a voice over.

They really botched the last part of that movie, though the entire movie was bad in my opinion.

The battle lasted 10x longer than it needed to, and when it was done, Bilbo was like "ok, bye" and the movie was over 5 minutes later. Like, wtf? No resolution on the Arkenstone, or the situation at the Lonely Mountain. That was one of the most infuriating parts of the film for me.

Watched Wild Tales last night. It's been out in the UK for a couple of weeks but I don't recall anyone mentioning it on here so far? It's a series of (I think) six different stories based around revenge. It feels very short because it's broken up into these bite-sized little stories. While some of the shocks are predictable (but no less satisfying for that) some of them come out of nowhere and certainly pack a punch. I love films that can shock you into silence as well as shock you into laughter. Definitely recommend it.

We watched it from the comfort of our sofa instead of in the cinema. In some ways this was good because it was way cheaper and allowed me to stop the film at will to get a drink/take a comfort break/whatever and it's probably exactly the type of film that you don't need to see at the cinema. However, I saw a review that mentioned the audience getting more and more vocal throughout and even cheering at the end. As I said, it's shocking in places, some of which are blackly humorous, so yes, I can see plenty of gasps or laughing out loud. That might have added to the overall experience and made it an even more memorable film.

So pulpy.....and ....AWESOME

It is! Can't believe I like this show. I need to take it slow, though, because I was starting to feel a sense of overdose. I want to keep liking it. Only so many outrageous fight scenes I can watch in a short period of time. And holy crap, these fights are outrageous. In the best way possible, of course.

On a serious note, the show seems to do a really amazing job exploring things like PTSD. This almost seems groundbreaking in a way.

Watched the first episode of the Lizzie Borden Chronicles. Struggling to see where the story is. Watch Lizzie get away with murder! Watch her do it again! and again! every episode? Way too good a cast for something so not interesting.

Peaky Blinders season 2 was a huge step up from 1 imo. Sabini and Solomons were a million times better than Kimber. Cillian Murphy carries the show for sure as Thomas Shelby but Arthur Shelby is a fucking rock star and the actor is pretty good, never seen him in anything before this I don't think. Will watch season 3 if Netflix or BBC or whatever makes another.

Watched the documentary Atari: Game Over on Netflix. About the 1983 video game crash and unearthing the Atari landfill in New Mexico.

Very fun and enjoyable!

Also an interesting cameo by a writer (or two) you may have heard of ;)

Just watched Mockingjay Part 1. Enjoyed it. Hunger Games is definitely the best of the YA movie franchises out there at the moment, to be honest.

ETA: Readin a lot of hate for this movie but I liked it.

I saw that movie back when it came out. I thought it was the best HG movie so far.

Just watched Mockingjay Part 1. Enjoyed it. Hunger Games is definitely the best of the YA movie franchises out there at the moment, to be honest.

ETA: Readin a lot of hate for this movie but I liked it.

But isn't that like being the best smelling port-a-potty at a rock concert?

But isn't that like being the best smelling port-a-potty at a rock concert?

Well, maybe lol but I quite like YA stuff but not impressed with lots of movies. I like the first Hunger Games, loved the second one and after watching the third would feel comfortable saying I'm a solid fan of the movie series.

I also really loved Beautiful Creatures but i dont think that was a success either, shame because i was rly fond of the movie and book.

The twilight films start absolutely shit and by the end one im sort of weirdly enjoying it despite myself; michael sheen as campy vampire!!! Lee pace!!! Hahahahha its weirdly fun.

Archived