Watch, Watched, Watching: The D Is Silent

Nox Irradiata

Think I might give The 100 a watch at some point. :)

In the early episodes I thought it was a decent SF premise hampered a bit by some mediocre teen acting and simplistic teen drama subplots but it improves a lot as it goes along, particularly in the second season.

In the early episodes I thought it was a decent SF premise hampered a bit by some mediocre teen acting and simplistic teen drama subplots but it improves a lot as it goes along, particularly in the second season.

I enjoyed Star Crossed which was super teen and campy and cheesy and mediocre lol. I will probably enjoy this!

I enjoyed Star Crossed which was super teen and campy and cheesy and mediocre lol. I will probably enjoy this!

The 100 will sneak up on you. The first several episodes are just bad. For a good portion of the first season I was watching it as one of those so-bad-it's-good shows, but then at some point I was shocked to find that I was actually enjoying it, and then season 2 was just really good. Sneaky show, and I'm glad that I stuck with it.

ETA: I watched the series three finale of Moone Boy today. I like this show quite a bit, and Paul Rudd showing up as his grandpa's imaginary friend was great. So mean though :lol:

Watching the final two episodes of The Office U.S. tonight!

Watched several episodes of season 9 last night. The Jim & Pam episodes where he was pursuing a job in Philadelphia and they were drifting apart were hard for me to watch. And then when Pam ran his umbrella out to the taxi and they had the epic hug in the parking lot, I was literally crying. So happy they reconnected!

ETA: Just watched the finale and it makes me want to start the whole thing over from season 1 again. :D

Furious 7 is the most ludicrous thing. In places it doesn't quite hold together, but it's loads of fun for the most part and capped with a very touching send-off for Paul Walker.

I thought it was a lot of fun. Ridiculous as you said and unbelievable but tons of fun and totally worth seeing in the theater.

I'm going to watch that tomorrow. These movies always make me laugh at how absurd they are, whilst still being something I can enjoy.

And laugh you will, starting with the opening scene. They really took the absurd level to the max in this one.

And it pulled in like $144 million opening weekend. They'll probably make twenty of them before they're done.

Well there's at least two more already confirmed. Not surprisingly. It's even more successful internationally than in the US, with the third highest international opening ever. It's considered quite likely to join the 1 billion club before it's done.

It'll be interesting to see where they go next.

The presence of Kurt Russell as super-spy guy suggests they're very deliberately aiming at the Bond/MI target I already thought it was enroaching on just from the trailer.

Watching the final two episodes of The Office U.S. tonight!

Watched several episodes of season 9 last night. The Jim & Pam episodes where he was pursuing a job in Philadelphia and they were drifting apart were hard for me to watch. And then when Pam ran his umbrella out to the taxi and they had the epic hug in the parking lot, I was literally crying. So happy they reconnected!

ETA: Just watched the finale and it makes me want to start the whole thing over from season 1 again. :D

This is so me. I've rewatched the series like 3 1/2 times now. Bob Odenkirk as Michael Scott clone FTW! He was actually up for the part along with Carell and there are screen tests out there in internet land of him auditioning.

This is pretty sweet too.

I've never seen any of the Furious movies, not sure if I ever want to.

Gonna watch me some Daredevil later tonight. :D Just waiting until my dad is ready, this is the kind of show we like to watch together.

ETA:

Anybody seen the new Billy Crystal series, The Comedians on FX? Thinking of giving that a try.

Just started watching season 8 of The Office. Watching it super super slow especially after michael leaving.

I thought season 8 was really horrible, but season 9 redeemed the show and I fell back in love with it. :)

Just got home from work and stretching out on the couch with a Strongbow. :cheers: Flipping through Netflix and trying to decide between Natural Born Killers or Suicide Kings. I love Walken but think I'm gonna go with NBK tonight.

Also! Season 3 of Orange Is The New Black starts on June 12th! Sweet!

I made it about an hour into NBK before I quit. I couldn't stand it.

Watching both Daredevil and New Girl now, both on Netflix. New Girl is something I've been wanting to watch for a while now but just kept forgetting about it. It's pretty funny actually. Daredevil is pretty damn good as well.

I went to see 'It Follows' last night. It's a great movie imo, I totally get why this was a festival darling. The best horrorfilm in quite some time, easily better than the Babadook (which I quite liked as well). The central conceit of this movie is just plain brilliant. I can't believe I haven't seen this idea being used before, it's just that great. The director uses it admirably to craft what I would describe as a thinking man's horrorfilm. The antagonist in this film gets scarrier the more you think about it, which is a rather new experience for me, since I don't recall ever getting that from a horrorfilm before.

The story is well told. There are a surprising amount of laughs, but when the movie ramps up the tension, it's on. Another thing to like about this film is that it isn't bogged down by overexplaining. It's a very ambiguous type of film and you really have to pay attention to get the different layers and meanings. It also avoids the usual cliched pitfalls that plague so many horrormovies nowadays.

The cast is also good. The lead actress especially. Maaike Monroe already had a strong turn in 'The Guest' under her belt, but she's just as good (probably even better) here. I think she could really go the distance. I would not be surprised if - in a few years - she becomes as big as say Scarlett Johansson is now. She certainly has both the talent and the looks for it.

This movie also had an amazing score imo. It had a bit of an eighties vibe to it (not unlike 'The Guest') and it really helped to rachet the tension up when the confrontations happened. The movie was also quite beautifully shot for a horrorfilm, the way the images where framed helped to create a very eerie atmosphere.

The film is not for everyone though. People who like gorno's and unnecessarily stupid jumpscares won't like this film at all. You have to give it time to set and you definitely have to think about the antagonist imo.

Perfect review as I pretty much agree with all you've said. It was creepy, original and the score was brilliant. Maika Monroe will definitely be a star soon, she's good.

It is definitely not for everyone though. There wasn't too many people in the movie theatre but from the ones that were there, I heard a lot of complaints as I walked out. I think they were expecting the normal, cliche horror movie. Oh well, I recommend highly.

Maybe it's just Zooey Deschanel's eyes, but I find New Girl to be at least a bit charming/heartwarming - compared to the usually inane similar shows airing. The cast work well together, I think.

Daredevil is really good. The plot feels strangely similar to that of Arrow S1, so frankly I'm impressed that it's so much better.

I tried to watch New Girl but it was everything I expected...in a bad way. Hopefully it got better but it looked like a caricature of Deschanel's public image.

Watching The Americans. Goddamn, that show is so good. It's like the writers are running the same game on you their spy characters are running on everyone else.

I made it about an hour into NBK before I quit. I couldn't stand it.

I can't remember exactly, but I think I managed to endure about the same amount of the film.

I've seen four Oliver Stone films but out of them JFK was the only one I thought was any good, and even that wasn't that great.

Archived