Watch, Watched, Watching: The D Is Silent

Nox Irradiata

Dig. Frequent viewers of Dig are hoping the bejeweled breastplate of the high priest will send an intense beam of light up to God who will then reflect an ampified laser back to earth to empower the wearer with forbidden truths and the ability to kickstart the armageddon or maybe save us from it. Either or. But so far the show has mostly consisted of guys chasing each other in a middle eastern ghetto.

Watched Old Boy last night. I liked it overall, but thought a few things were kind of lazy.

Warning, spoilers:

First off, when he's escaping from the 'prison' after torturing Samuel L, the fight scene was suddenly super cartoony / video game esque. It was almost like a hamfisted Kill Bill scene without the awesomeness. The tone seemed out of place and didn't really fit in with what we'd seen earlier.

Second, I could watch Brolin eat dumplings all day.

Thirdly, I saw the entire ending with the reveal about who his daughter really was from about half-way through the movie. It didn't feel unearned I felt like the set up the whole "Well you think the Count of Monte Cristo analog is Brolin, but really, his shadowy tormentor is the one who's been painstakingly crafting this insane masterpiece revenge; but it did feel kind of forced, if that makes sense. I also thought that a better ending would have been Brolin's character killing himself or disappearing to an island sipping margaritas instead of paying to go back to the Motel / Jail.

I liked it better than Inside Man, which I felt relied too much on the surprise reveal factor. I will probably watch this again in a few weeks, interesting to see if anything changes for me on the rewatch.

Watched Old Boy last night. I liked it overall, but thought a few things were kind of lazy.

Warning, spoilers:

First off, when he's escaping from the 'prison' after torturing Samuel L, the fight scene was suddenly super cartoony / video game esque. It was almost like a hamfisted Kill Bill scene without the awesomeness. The tone seemed out of place and didn't really fit in with what we'd seen earlier.

Second, I could watch Brolin eat dumplings all day.

Thirdly, I saw the entire ending with the reveal about who his daughter really was from about half-way through the movie. It didn't feel unearned I felt like the set up the whole "Well you think the Count of Monte Cristo analog is Brolin, but really, his shadowy tormentor is the one who's been painstakingly crafting this insane masterpiece revenge; but it did feel kind of forced, if that makes sense. I also thought that a better ending would have been Brolin's character killing himself or disappearing to an island sipping margaritas instead of paying to go back to the Motel / Jail.

I liked it better than Inside Man, which I felt relied too much on the surprise reveal factor. I will probably watch this again in a few weeks, interesting to see if anything changes for me on the rewatch.

Have you seen the original? I think it handles some of the problems, though the methods can also be goofy in their own way.

I dislike the ending for part of the reason you do, but it's difficult to explain without touching on the original. It...just seems like a bit of a copout.

As for the fight scene...are you talking about the hallway fight?

Didn't like the remake much at all. Sharlto Copley gives a horrible fucking performance and it just felt...boring as a result.

-------------

Anyways, been watching Fortitude, which is a great thriller about one of those sleepy towns where something goes horribly wrong. Except it's far oop north so there's ice, and northern lights, and polar bears in a place so cold that no one can even die there because nothing rots in the frost.. So even worse.

Which is actually a bit of a problem for me. Things got really tense and bad for a while there and I'm a bit ashamed to say that it was getting too much for me, watching all the horrible things build, but it's gotten through it and is compelling enough to keep me hooked.

I will say though, Stanley Tucci's decision to keep an American accent while playing a British DCI is kind of strange and distracting. It just comes off as really lazy. It's not plot-relevant nor can I believe that he can't pull the accent off.

I've never seen the original or the remake :O

Just watched Calvary. Didn't think anyone would top Gylennhaal in Nightcrawler for me (as far as 2014 lead performances) but Gleeson might just get the nod barely, amazing showing from him. Pretty dark movie but some really good laughs. I liked it, Excited for Kelly Reilly in True Detective season 2 now. This was my first time seeing her in anything that I can recall and she was definitely the stand out after Gleeson.

Just watched Calvary. Didn't think anyone would top Gylennhaal in Nightcrawler for me (as far as 2014 lead performances) but Gleeson might just get the nod barely, amazing showing from him. Pretty dark movie but some really good laughs. I liked it, Excited for Kelly Reilly in True Detective season 2 now. This was my first time seeing her in anything that I can recall and she was definitely the stand out after Gleeson.

Calvary was excellent. Check out Eden Lake with Kelly Reilly, Fassbender is in it too. She is pretty talented.

Watching a movie called Super with Rainn Wilson. I don't know anything about it, but it looks sort of Kick-Ass-esque. Awesome supporting cast: Liv Tyler, Kevin Bacon, Ellen Page, Nathan Fillion, and Michael Rooker (Merle from TWD). Smells like a recipe for a win. :D

Archived