Watch, Watched, Watching: The D Is Silent

Nox Irradiata

Will one day. Never really felt in the mood to look it up, if Id' seen it on telly I probably would have watched it but ah well.

I think they have Shawshank on like four times a week on some channel or the other here in the states. Great movie but so overplayed.

I think Shawshank is one of the more overrated movies I always see on "greatest movies" lists. It's good, but I've honestly never understood the hype for it.

I think part of the problem is it's the #1 movie of all time on Imdb, which I don't agree with (I think The Godfather should have that honor), so it's definitely overrated a bit, but it really is a great movie. It certainly has become a cult classic over the years.

I think part of the problem is it's the #1 movie of all time on Imdb, which I don't agree with (I think The Godfather should have that honor), so it's definitely overrated a bit, but it really is a great movie. It certainly has become a cult classic over the years.

I think you hit the nail on the head.

In case some haven't seen the movie:

The scene where Andy escapes and the Warden finds out about it is one of my all time favorite scenes in film

Just watched 22 Jump Street. It was ok. It had some funny parts, and the girl that played Ice Cube's daughter is all kinds of gorgeous. The credits at the end were the best part though.

Starting the Derek special on Netflix.

I thought 22 Jump Street was a pile :p

I also didn't enjoy Shawshank, personally. Some good moments, and I can see the appeal, but just not for me personally. Great acting though, and I got all kinds of sad when:

the Librarian (can't remember his name)

hung hanged (he's not a tapestry...) himself

I thought 22 Jump Street was a pile :p

I also didn't enjoy Shawshank, personally. Some good moments, and I can see the appeal, but just not for me personally. Great acting though, and I got all kinds of sad when:

the Librarian (can't remember his name)

hung hanged (he's not a tapestry...) himself

C'mon Helena, tell me you at least liked the ending? If not you have no heart.:P

Starting watching Banshee again. On the second episode and just remembered why I quit the first time. There's a rave with a strobe light. I hate when shows have strobe lights, especially when they offer no warning. I almost passed out before I was able to turn away from the screen. I really dislike that at least 15 minutes of this episode seems to consist of a strobe light. It's completely unnecessary. Are strobe light raves something that continue to happen on this show?

Can't remember it ever happening again.

I went to see 'It Follows' last night. It's a great movie imo, I totally get why this was a festival darling. The best horrorfilm in quite some time, easily better than the Babadook (which I quite liked as well). The central conceit of this movie is just plain brilliant. I can't believe I haven't seen this idea being used before, it's just that great. The director uses it admirably to craft what I would describe as a thinking man's horrorfilm. The antagonist in this film gets scarrier the more you think about it, which is a rather new experience for me, since I don't recall ever getting that from a horrorfilm before.

The story is well told. There are a surprising amount of laughs, but when the movie ramps up the tension, it's on. Another thing to like about this film is that it isn't bogged down by overexplaining. It's a very ambiguous type of film and you really have to pay attention to get the different layers and meanings. It also avoids the usual cliched pitfalls that plague so many horrormovies nowadays.

The cast is also good. The lead actress especially. Maaike Monroe already had a strong turn in 'The Guest' under her belt, but she's just as good (probably even better) here. I think she could really go the distance. I would not be surprised if - in a few years - she becomes as big as say Scarlett Johansson is now. She certainly has both the talent and the looks for it.

This movie also had an amazing score imo. It had a bit of an eighties vibe to it (not unlike 'The Guest') and it really helped to rachet the tension up when the confrontations happened. The movie was also quite beautifully shot for a horrorfilm, the way the images where framed helped to create a very eerie atmosphere.

The film is not for everyone though. People who like gorno's and unnecessarily stupid jumpscares won't like this film at all. You have to give it time to set and you definitely have to think about the antagonist imo.

The film is not for everyone though. People who like gorno's and unnecessarily stupid jumpscares won't like this film at all. You have to give it time to set and you definitely have to think about the antagonist imo.

Not being funny like but ending your review with, essentially, a pre-emptive 'if you don't like this you must be stoopid!' doesn't make me want to watch it more, tbh. Even though I dislike both gorn and jumpscares and this is one of the more likely horrors for me to actually watch (I almost never do).

One can like both jumpscares and very clever layered films, is what I'm saying.

Not being funny like but ending your review with, essentially, a pre-emptive 'if you don't like this you must be stoopid!' doesn't make me want to watch it more, tbh. Even though I dislike both gorn and jumpscares and this is one of the more likely horrors for me to actually watch (I almost never do).

One can like both jumpscares and very clever layered films, is what I'm saying.

It Follows has some jumpscares and gore in it to :p They are just kept to a minimum and are quite cleverly used.

Archived