What level of public grooming is acceptable?

Kat

No to nail polish or perfume on public transport. Closed in and strong smell!

This. So much this.

I brush my hair when I get to work, but after being outside for 35 minutes it always needs it. Otherwise I engage in none of these. I can be annoyed by the application of makeup by others when either their elbows encroach my personal space or powder drifts onto my clothes. I don't object to it if it's applied in a considerate manner. I would have no issue with people putting on sunblock though.

I didn't know there were people who have issues with brushing or braiding hair in public, or putting on chapstick. Why, what's so gross about that?

Toe nail clipping, chewing your nails (not grooming but a major pet peeve of mine, no one wants to shake your hand after watching you gnaw on your fingertips for the last half an hour), ear or nose picking are all totally gross, though.

My mom has always filed her nails in public. It's grossed me out since I was a child and I just can't handle it. Even going to the salon for a pedi/mani can initiate my gag reflex if I'm not careful. I don't have any issues with nail clipping, as long as the clippings aren't ending up on me. Nail filing should never happen. I also really dislike men who use their electric shaver in public just because those little hairs fly everywhere and they aren't pleasant when they get in the mouth.

Other than that, I don't really care. There's a time and place for most grooming. Some grooming in some public spaces is fine, while other times is completely unacceptable. Doing hair at a dining table is never good unless it's just a quick pull back, most other times fine. Make up while dealing with co workers, clients, etc no good. Other times, who cares as long as it's not encroaching on my space. Putting on lotion or chapstick is same issue. Sometimes it's fine, sometimes not. With these things, I don't feel any sort of distaste with the grooming itself, but the time and place it's happening.

I'm the sort who thinks perfumes should be outlawed. I have an allergy and it's just the worst to be slammed with someone wearing perfume or any other heavy scents so spraying it in public automatically makes that person the devil, imo. I typically don't even let people in my house if they have any noticeable scents on them, that's how much I hate fragrances because they make me sick.

Fine: applying chapstick, makeup, sunblock, lotion, putting your hair up or down, brushing or combing (as long as you aren't shedding like a sick dog)

Find a bathroom or secluded spot: applying deodorant, perfume or other smelly stuff, applying anti-chafing cream, brushing or flossing your teeth. The toothpick really depends on the exact situation and how actively you are using it; I sometimes use these tea-tree oil flavored toothpicks, but I wouldn't clean my teeth with them in public, but I would just kind of keep one in my mouth. Toothpick at the table is just wrong unless it's like a family cookout and everyone just ate 5 ears of corn on the cob.

I'm not sure it bothers me, but I'd just figure it would be easier to do your hair at home. A quick comb, brush or adjustment? fine. Applying chapstick, lipstick, quick check of make up. Fine - in depth work being done, just seems easier where you have some privacy.

Like most others...if you're removing pieces of yourself, no.

Was just about to say: wow, people use an electric shaver in public? And then I had a flashback to a beer festival where a guy start shaving at our table. Everyone was horrified. Clearly, I'd blocked that memory out until this moment.

I will admit to having a low tolerance for grooming in public. I will apply lipstick with no mirror, and that's about it. Anything else, head to the nearest restroom. That includes hair brushing, powdering the nose, and clipping whatever. Ugh. But seriously, clip your damn nails at home.

I work with people who are big advocates of flossing and picking their teeth in public. It drives me up the wall.

If somebody wanted to apply and remove a Biore strip on public transportation, I'd watch that. The grid of extracted blackhead cylinders is like a faerie mushroom forest.

That is SOOOOOooooo disgusting and weird that... I kinda wanna see it.

I didn't know there were people who have issues with brushing or braiding hair in public, or putting on chapstick. Why, what's so gross about that?

Toe nail clipping, chewing your nails (not grooming but a major pet peeve of mine, no one wants to shake your hand after watching you gnaw on your fingertips for the last half an hour), ear or nose picking are all totally gross, though.

This. So much of this.

So glad I've never seen that sort of thing. Though I have seen people working at food stands picking at pimples and scabs, which is really not such a good marketing strategy for their business.

Women will always be farding everywhere. In the car, in the classroom, in the elevator... just farding away.

Imaginary scenario in my head... what if you started conspicuously licking the back of your hand, like a cat does when it grooms, while staring at the primper?... just to start off the conversation .

Women will always be farding everywhere. In the car, in the classroom, in the elevator... just farding away.

Imaginary scenario in my head... what if you started conspicuously licking the back of your hand, like a cat does when it grooms, while staring at the primper?... just to start off the conversation .

I have no idea what you're attempting here, but whatever it is, it's not working.

Same as most really, I don't mind public grooming, so long as it's not something like nail clipping. Not sure about hair brushing...I suppose it's the same as nail clipping really, as you are likely to leave loose hair behind. But then, that also happens without brushing so maybe not. I dunno how I feel about that one.

Perfume, deodorant and stuff I don't have a problem with as long as it's not an enclosed space. I tend to carry a bottle of something in my bag, but I only spray when I'm outside (and if it's deodorant, I am usually very careful not to give someone behind me a face full of deodorant)

I will admit to having a low tolerance for grooming in public. I will apply lipstick with no mirror, and that's about it. Anything else, head to the nearest restroom. That includes hair brushing, powdering the nose, and clipping whatever. Ugh. But seriously, clip your damn nails at home.

I work with people who are big advocates of flossing and picking their teeth in public. It drives me up the wall.

I'd love to do this, but I fear I'd look like Clarence the clown putting on lipstick without a mirror

Archived