[Book Spoilers] Positive Nitpicking Thread...

• The Small Council scene - no matter the make up of these meetings all the actors seem to nail it with their facial expressions and reactions

I've always loved the Small Council scenes for this reason. So much sighing, eyerolling, tutting and general awkwardness.

Cersei looked so triumphant gliding past the chair too. Sharp contrast to her lemon sucking face when sitting at Tywin's side in s3.

I loved Dany's reaction to Drogon. That scene proved to me that Emilia Clarke can act, and it's the directors and writers that fuck up most of her scenes.

"Fuck up" is a little strong...

I loved the music when Drogon flew away, that longing, weeping tune, like a dragon mourning.

Fuck up is absolutely the only appropriate way to to describe what they wrote for season 2 though.

I think generally they screwed Daenerys (alongside entire line of female characters). The inability to see an actual person in her and not just some Xena-type of comic book character is laughable.

I loved Dany's reaction to Drogon. That scene proved to me that Emilia Clarke can act, and it's the directors and writers that fuck up most of her scenes.

This is what I've always believed. The writers totally misjudged Dany's story in season 2 but when asked to bring it in Astapor in season 3 Emilia Clarke nailed it. Last season was very hard for the actress. On one hand she was being restricted by the directors/writers and on the other most of Dany's counter-part scenes in the books are internal in nature. This season they are doing a better job of portraying the internal conflict more expressly. Her scene with Drogon, and last season when she locks up Viserion and Rhaegal, were both so moving that we forget that Emilia is just acting against a tennis ball or something and she doesn't have Ramin's music to assist her. If that doesn't shut down the "Emilia Clarke can't act" argument then I don't know what will.

Pretty much this.For the most of the part it's indeed directors and writers fault.Same goes for Kit.

Every script page comes with the note 'look constipated'?

A few direct quotes describe Jon constantly throught the books as "solemn","somber" "with a guarded face that gave nothing away".He is an introvert kinda of guy and Kit nailed it imho.He's good as Jon Snow(especially this and last season).I hate D&D for some changes and the way they handled Jon's arc in previous seasons(mainly season 2 and early of season 3).Judging by some of his interviews,he understands his character much more than D&D.Even my sister(btw she doesn't like Kit) acknowledged that he improved.He's not everyone's cup of tea and I can understand that.He was generally praised by his Testament of Youth performance,but Alicia Vikander was the star of that film.She's a very talented actress.Damn,I wish she could be on GoT.

For the most part the calibre of actors they get in the roles whether it's a starring role or just an extra is of such a high quality. The guy who played Mossodor was excellent

The hope that Arya finally gets to get changed into something else after 3 seasons in the current outfit

Now that you mention it, Arya is due an outfit change. Agree with the Mossador comment; it's like last season with the guy whose daughter was apparently killed by Drogon. Meereen is simply well executed on the show, even Hizdhar, who I was sure I would hate with every word he spoke.

Agreed. I think this also applies to Kit Harington. But honestly, I think tales of their horrible acting were wildly exaggerated, anyway. I've always loved them.

A few direct quotes describe Jon constantly throught the books as "solemn","somber" "with a guarded face that gave nothing away".He is an introvert kinda of guy and Kit nailed it imho.He's good as Jon Snow(especially this and last season).I hate D&D for some changes and the way they handled Jon's arc in previous seasons(mainly season 2 and early of season 3).Judging by some of his interviews,he understands his character much more than D&D.Even my sister(btw she doesn't like Kit) acknowledged that he improved.He's not everyone's cup of tea and I can understand that.He was generally praised by his Testament of Youth performance,but Alicia Vikander was the star of that film.She's a very talented actress.Damn,I wish she could be on GoT.

:agree: I agree that Emilia and Kit always nail their scenes and this is why: a lot part of both their arcs is very internal. So unlike Stannis, LF, Varys, Bronn and other favourites, they can't just say cool stuff, fight off a few bad guys, and walk away soap-opera style. Kit and Emilia have to walk that extra mile to show with just their faces and shoulders, the somber-ness, the immaturity and inexperience of the characters they are playing (especially for Jon in the earlier books where even a few readers here agree that they found him too tedious to deal with and his chapters too boring)...Kit nailed it; his story only picks up in Book 3 according to most people. I always thought, in my naivete, that Dany needed to be portrayed the way Emilia does her because I never imagined that anyone would take her seriously otherwise. But hey, all imho.

I've just rewatched that scene and the music is stunning alright.

That's what I've been saying :)

Sorry about all the complaining, Sj4iy.

I really liked the final scene with Drogon looking Dany over and then going "hell no..you aren't ready."

Or "Look at what you could have won" :lol:

I just can't forgive her for chaining up Viserion and Rhaegal in a pitch-dark cellar and not even going down to see them and pet them every day. :crying:

I loved the scene with Bronn and Lollys and Jaime Fucking Lannister :lol:

I love that they made Lollys into a chatterbox rather than ... well, what happened in the book. Hope we get a bit more from her , but not too hopeful.

Overall, I think this was one of the best GoT episodes ever. Things I liked the most:

- Arya's prayer has gotten pretty short; glad the Hound is not in there.
- Sansa sassing Baelish - always a joy.
- Nice touch with Brienne's sword breaking the other guy's sword in half.
- Lollys and Bronn are adorable together!
- Ellaria and Doran are perfect! Good job, GoT team!
- First they name the dragons, now Barristan finally tells Dany about her father. Is it Christmas already?
- Small Councils are always such a delight. Everyone in that scene was awesome.
- Sam + Gilly + Shireen + reading = adorable.
- The letter from Bear Island! *rofl* Jon's reaction! *lol*
- Sam's speech was really good. And I like that Aliser acknowledged Jon's achievements, while still remaining opposed to him.
- Tom Wlaschiha! We missed you!
- I never thought I'd say this, but Hizdahr + Daario = hilarious. At least on the show.
- Drogon looks really good.
- Awesome music in the credits.

Archived