UK Politics - Cameron, Farage, Milliband: Snog, Marry, Avoid?

Zoë Sumra

New interesting website: what happens when people rate policies rather than parties. Obviously this is self-selecting rather than by invitation, and the Northern Ireland one is useless as only four people have used it (as opposed to multiple thousand in the other three countries), but still.

Isn't that usually how these things go? People don't realise that they often vote in contradiction to their policy preferences because a considerable amount of politics is a popularity contest, and a decent proportion is one or two wedge issues (abortion being a biggie in the USA, but probably not such a biggie in the UK). People generally don't vote according to their top 20 policy priorities, aside from those on the fringes at both ends of the spectrum, and electorally speaking they don't matter.

I would prefer a system where people voted based on the personal qualities of individuals (honesty, trustworthiness, sense of justice, not charisma celebrity and wealth) not on their policy platforms and promises. But the next best option is to vote based on policy and ignore the populist aspects of personality that are prevalent in campaigning.

I probably wouldn't have heard about it but for a couple of loudly anti-monarchist FB acquaintances posting articles going "who gives a fuck?" - you, evidently.

(I am also anti-monarchist but am still annoyed by vocal proclamations of indifference)

Anyone who disagrees with UKIP would want a lot of publicity around the fact that Ian Brady supports them, I imagine.

There are plenty of reasons to dislike or criticise UKIP without needing to resort to absurd guilt-by-association arguments.

Ahahaha wtf. At least those pledges are vague enough to be almost meaningless.

well if your gonna make election promises let alone carve them into stone then you want them to be vague and give you wiggle room. It does show you Ed has learnt from Nick Clegg.

I must admit to having warmed to Miliband's bullishness. At least he's getting stuck in whilst Cameron seems to be doing his best to avoid talking to anyone (heavens forbid another party leader) and hoping for the best. Not sure if it will help him, but Miliband's certainly been more visible and prominent in this campaign, which Cameron seems to have belatedly realised (hence him "Pumping up").

Still won't vote for them as Labour have as much chance winning here as an aardvark. I may have to bite the bullet and tactically vote LibDem to try to help keep the Tories out, but that didn't work out so well last time.

Armando Iannucci on the politiics of hope versus fear.

Archived