UK Politics: You Didn't See That Coming

mormont

Tories just need one more seat for an actual majority. Given the SF abstention, they already have a working majority. Ten more seats to declare...

And Farage is gone.

Really disappointed in the Keighley result, seeing the Lab gains in Bradford before I went to sleep I thought we had a good chance of swinging back from the Tories, but people decided to stick and with roughly the same margin.

And Farage is gone.

Really disappointed in the Keighley result, seeing the Lab gains in Bradford before I went to sleep I thought we had a good chance of swinging back from the Tories, but people decided to stick and with roughly the same margin.

The weird thing is that even with the trouncing they got up in Scotland, which had a relatively huge turnout, Labour actually managed to increase their share of the vote, more than the Tories. http://www.bbc.com/news/election/2015/resultsFPTP systems feel weird.

Fuck.

what a fucking disaster.

and it will only get worse.

So if we are going to have to have this referendum (which I do support in principle) can we use the Russian Model

Yes - I want the UK to stay in the EU

No - I don't want the UK to leave the EU.

Time to move to Scotland I think

And Farage. Its been a great night for Cameron.

And i am barely above minimum wage (about 10p above i think). With the tories changing the tax brackets i am earning £200 more this year than last. And in a way that doesn't cost my place of work (a very small business) any money - unlike labour's plan to raise minimum wage which would have cost my boss £3000ish a year more just for me.

Why did people vote tory? How about because it was labour and their massive overspending that dragged us into the shit in the first place?

Posted by Free Northman Reborn in the last thread:

A Tory win is good for anyone who believes you have to forge your own way through life, rather than relying on government to make it nice and comfy for you.

Why should you get free stuff? At all? Every single thing that is produced and consumed has to be paid for by someone. If it's not you paying for it, it's someone else. And if it's someone else, why should you get it?

Nobody pays taxes for fun, of any kind. We pay taxes because we believe that the government can do a better job of providing certain functions for us than we can via individual spending power. These currently include: policing, firefighting, defence, education, healthcare (the NHS came into being after WWII, but it was already clear in WWI that we needed it, because of the number of men who weren't fit to fight), administrative functions such as the Land Registry, law courts, basic small pensions, unemployment security, public transport (subsidised by central government and additionally funded via advertising revenue and fares), social assistance, and via a separate set of taxes (council tax) roads, waste disposal, street lighting etc.

We also decided as a society that it benefits the overwhelming majority if the most vulnerable in our society are supported. (Even taken purely from a self-interest purpose: anyone can get hit by a bus. Any family can produce a disabled child. Lifetime instance of disability is high.)

The Tories are trying to destroy the functions that underpin a stable society. They also aren't going to wipe out taxes. We get bad/reduced/no services and have to pay the same taxes (unless you're in the 1% in which case you get a tax cut you didn't need), so are going to be left far worse off. Not a good deal for the country.

Why did people vote tory? How about because it was labour and their massive overspending that dragged us into the shit in the first place?

I can't believe people actually buy this shit. How soon we forget the massive credit bubble caused by deregulation of the financial markets, eh? The Blair/Brown era only contributed to the crash by not being Labour enough. You really think the Tories would have been stricter on the banks? :lol:

Poor Ed. he looks so forlorn.

I actually don't think he should go.

And he isbgone. Bah

He had to go. I like him in general but he's just not very good at winning people over in terms of both charisma and making the right choices of subject to hammer on, and regardless of whether one thinks that should be important, it is. Essentially, Labour already need to be preparing for the possibility of facing Boris in the next election, and although I'm not at all confident that they'll get the right person next anyway, Ed Miliband was definitely not that person.

So we're like a one party state now? At least until electoral reform at which point we'll be overrun with nationalists. Great times. :lol:

Still, at least we beat the Nazis 70 years ago.

Ed Miliband was definitely not that person.

I feel like this has been overlooked to a hilarious degree. Esp. when reading the posts on this board. One of the major reasons people didn't vote Labour has to be the lack of confidence in the leader. It has been a problem from the off and a lot of people have been lying to themselves that he'd done enough to overcome that.

Listen: I'm quite heavily left wing but there's no way on this planet I would have voted Miliband in - he is not a leader. I went with Lib Dem even if it was a wasted vote

And i suppose the tories made brown sell our gold reserves when they were at their cheapest, costing us billions in the process?

Holy non-sequitur Batman! I have no idea what the Tories would or would not have done with the gold reserves, had they been in power at the time, or had we still had them during the recession. Nor did I remotely suggest that the Tories were "making" Brown do anything. Nor am I clear how this is any sort of refutation of the fact that it wasn't actually Labour spending that caused the crash. Try again?

Obviously I'm pleased in a way. England would have to have lost its mind to elect the Labour party after all they've done. Yet I can't help but be extremely uneasy. The Tories may have won but on a basically false prospectus (our economic competence is totally phoney). The election also means the nats could be triumphant after all. UKIP coming third nationally and getting only 1 mp has also made even me question FPTP (and I was a pretty big supporter).

edit: loved the destruction of the liberals though. That was wonderful!

I feel like this has been overlooked to a hilarious degree. Esp. when reading the posts on this board. One of the major reasons people didn't vote Labour has to be the lack of confidence in the leader. It has been a problem from the off and a lot of people have been lying to themselves that he'd done enough to overcome that.

Listen: I'm quite heavily left wing but there's no way on this planet I would have voted Miliband in - he is not a leader. I went with Lib Dem even if it was a wasted vote

I think there was a lowering of expectations because he came after Gordon Brown and because David Cameron isn't exactly an inspiring figure himself. It's that combination which has allowed Nigel Farage such a strong say in the issues of this election, and it's that which meant Ed actually had a hope of winning.

I really don't know who Labour have that'll do better, but I hope they get someone: I think (probably contrary to a lot of people) that Johnson is a vastly preferable option to Cameron, but only if he's got a decent opponent because if the level doesn't raise he will (assuming he gets the nomination, of course) run everyone over and, well, that's bad.

Archived