FIFA... business as usual

Corvinus85

Seems like he's trying to engineer a solution in which he still holds some sort of power. "I will be in a position to focus on profound reforms.", according to the live commentary at the Guardian.

Me being slightly cynical, I see this as an attempt to resign with honor whilst trying to retain as much influence as possible. Hope he fails, and is sent to jail.

Why wait so long? Why wait til' after the elections?

Wasn't there some sort of evidence that came to light today, which seemed to implicate him in something? Can't remember.

Checked it out. The secretary general was implicated today. He is, according to the article, one of Blatter's stronger allies. He may have noticed that the ground beneath him started to shift, and decided to go rather than being pushed.

Why wait so long? Why wait til' after the elections?

His second in command was named in something dealing with a 10 million payoff. Its obvious Mr Blatter will be next and shortly and he knows it now.

http://www.espnfc.us/fifa-world-cup/story/2476377/fifas-jerome-valcke-named-in-letter-asking-for-$10m-payment

From the live feed, Sepp Blatter:

We need a limitation on mandates and terms of office. I have fought for these changes but my efforts have been counteracted.

Yes, Sepp was fighting for a limit on terms of office, which is why he stood for another term after promising to stand down. That makes sense.

Wasn't there some sort of evidence that came to light today, which seemed to implicate him in something? Can't remember.

Checked it out. The secretary general was implicated today. He is, according to the article, one of Blatter's stronger allies. He may have noticed that the ground beneath him started to shift, and decided to go rather than being pushed.

Yeah, the speculation seems to be that either that is more worrying for Blatter than had been thought or his plan was to win the election and then resign for various nefarious reasons (more in line with what you were thinking).

Seems like he's trying to engineer a solution in which he still holds some sort of power. "I will be in a position to focus on profound reforms.", according to the live commentary at the Guardian.

Me being slightly cynical, I see this as an attempt to resign with honor whilst trying to retain as much influence as possible. Hope he fails, and is sent to jail.

This is precisely how I feel as well. But still kudos to the Mericanos for turning up the pressure on the old toad.

Love this rant by an Argentinian journalist. Only now i've come to know him, but apparently he was a sworn enemy of Grondona and his mafia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSqooKfBygU

For those who understand Spanish.

The guy seems to be very confident that Blatter will fall sooner than everyone thinks.

Damn, the Fantino fellah was right. I mean, he's not in jail yet, but i think we all know where these "resignings" usually lead to.

From the live feed, Sepp Blatter:

Yes, Sepp was fighting for a limit on terms of office, which is why he stood for another term after promising to stand down. That makes sense.

Wait, you can try to reason this out. Blatter was actually proving why there needs to be a limit on the number of terms a person should actually hold.

Yeah, the speculation seems to be that either that is more worrying for Blatter than had been thought or his plan was to win the election and then resign for various nefarious reasons (more in line with what you were thinking).

He may have wanted to resign on his terms so he doesn't feel slighted. These kind of positions are about the prestige as much as they are about the money. And the money mostly just buys more prestige. (see - Norway and the IOC for example)

It's also possible that he resigned after the election, because re-signing during the election would mean that Prince Ali wins uncontested. Maybe he has a plan to play Kingmaker for some new toad?

Something like this. He probably knew he wasn't going to go full term but events are overtaking things. He wants to set up the succession to protect his legacy (which he does believe in) so this move looks like clearing the decks. Scores are going to be settled.

Apparently, FIFA's by-laws say members need at least four months before having an election and Blatter will continue serving as president until that election. So he's still got some time to steal everything not nailed down and shred the paperwork.

Archived