Mr. Robot (spoilers).... 'cause I suck at this stuff

Martini Sigil

25 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

This show should really stop fucking me. It was pleasant at first, but damn, I'm ready for some actual answers for a change. I agree with the reviewer over at the AVclub, who believes that next week's episode will either pivot the series in an astonishingly brilliant direction or be a total jumping the shark moment. I hope it's the former, because the way this show is directed is still so damn great. The whole sequence with the fish tank was really delightfully creepy.  

EDIT: In fact the only scenes that really annoyed the crap out of me were the ones with Dom in it. I cringed when she started to talk to her Echo/Siri/Cortana/whatever. 

Alexa, it's the Amazon one. Now we know where the show has really been getting its funding. :P

Boy, does this show meander way too much. 

The first season had revelation combined with action. We had the stress of Eliot breaking into the data center, of him trying to cover his tracks at AllSafe, of Darlene and Angela fighting and dealing with Dark Army. And this season we continue - until at least the second to last ep - a lot of nothing. Stress is caused because we don't know what's going on, not because we don't know what's going to happen. The Angela room scene was interesting, but sloooow - and still didn't solve anything. Eliot lucid dreaming and winding up in a cab didn't solve anything, nor did it give us any action. Heck, we still don't know if Reddick is even real. 

This show is quickly becoming way too Lostian for my liking. Even if it is cool looking as hell. 

Entirely too much stringing the audience along this season.  The keystone of this season really is next week's reveal. I really hope Esmail lands it.

I'm entirely uninterested in Tyrell after him being gone all season. I don't care if he's dead, another Elliott personality, etc. I've lost interest in that aspect of the show.

And I really hope this show doesn't become a crypto currency battle between Ecoin and bitcoin, but it seems like the whole 5/9 attack was staged to bring about the downfall of hard currency and the nation-state and usher in the age of crypto currency and the corporate-state. Or E Corps' actions since the 5/9 attack have been directed towards that goal. Price is fantastic!

Next season will probably be a dvr and binge for me.

22 minutes ago, Astromech said:

I'm entirely uninterested in Tyrell after him being gone all season. I don't care if he's dead, another Elliott personality, etc. I've lost interest in that aspect of the show.

Next season will probably be a dvr and binge for me.

Same here and Tyrell was my favorite part of season one and yeah the show is definitely better in a binge. 

3 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

Some of your more obscure tracks from the BttF soundtrack there (I made it 4 songs?). And again........we learn ultimately nothing. The Dark Army is fast becoming a ridiculous comic villain. I so want to like this show but it seems to be descending in to this:

Yep, hit the nail on the head

EDIT: In fact the only scenes that really annoyed the crap out of me were the ones with Dom in it. I cringed when she started to talk to her Echo/Siri/Cortana/whatever. 

Yeah that was easily the worst part of the ep. I'm not a big fan of Dom anyway, but this was cringe meets boredom. I'd rather have seen what is going on with Darlene.

Really glad Tyrell is finally back. Kinda annoyed they fed into him being a third Elliot personality conspiracy theory though.

All in all, a pretty good ep. Last ep was better with all that tension though. I think this will be a very good show now with Tyrell, WhiteRose, and Price in the rotation, and with Elliot out and about. Let's see how it all plays out though.

That was kind of weird what Whiterose said about Elliot and Angela being special. I wonder if they are subverting Marvel superhero tropes.

I wondered if Mr. Robot was deliberately created in Eliot by Whiterose some years ago, and has now implanted a new personality in Angela.

That's a pretty good guess. I don't really know. I just think it highly unlikely that Whiterose implanted superpowers in Elliot and Angela via radioactive waste Marvel style. The show seems to be hinting strongly at that, however. I just don't think they'd go full out sci fi like that, so I think it's a playful misdirect and subversion. 

I actually really liked the scene with Dom talking to her Amazon thinger. I thought it was a depressingly real representation of loneliness and showed a side to her we hadn't really seen before, which considering what she just went through over the last couple of episodes makes a lot of sense. 

Obviously it was also a massive ad for the device but hey...

(It worked cause I totally want one so I can ask it random weird questions all the time >.>)

This season, while having its moments and being beautifully shot, is damn frustrating. It appears that Sam Esmail is far more interested in the aesthetics than plot to the detriment of the show. I agree with what was mentioned up-thread: Esmail seems quite happy to spin wheels (and do nice looking shots) so long as there is an audience for it. It just feels like not much has happened this season - Tyrell is back but much like TWD did with Glenn, the show dragged that aspect out for far too long and I found myself not caring one bit. Alot is riding on the finale but even if it is mind-blowingly good, I've decided to quit watching week-to-week. Season 3 will definitely be a binge watch.

On 15/09/2016 at 2:59 PM, Corvinus said:

Alexa, it's the Amazon one. Now we know where the show has really been getting its funding. :P

Well, the only way to watch it in the UK is via Amazon prime - I guess they want a kick-back. And what better demographic to associate the product with than desperately alone people.

On 16/09/2016 at 6:04 AM, SpaceChampion said:

I wondered if Mr. Robot was deliberately created in Eliot by Whiterose some years ago, and has now implanted a new personality in Angela.

I like the idea that Whiterose may have reprogrammed Elliot at some stage in the past and that he's been working for them all the time and just doens't know it. They may have done something similar to Angela but it should take more than half a day.

On 15/09/2016 at 6:56 PM, Astromech said:

This is my problem with the show as a whole now. I can't be bothered buying into their attempts at subversion of storytelling and misdirection - I'm just bored by it. eg I was 90% sure we'd be left hanging with Darlene and sadly it was confirmed. I agree with others that it is similar to the BS Walking Dead pulls with it's season finale and non-deaths.

Tyrell is back but they instantly create a scenario where we are left to wonder whether he is real. I don't care - escpecially when the scene is so desperately framed to be ambiguous - there's no way I can tell and I don't want to waste any more time than witnessing the scene in quesiton to think about it.

On 15/09/2016 at 7:49 PM, dooog said:

I didn't care for that episode one bit, it was irritating more than anything.

I'm releived the general consensus here is on the negative side as I was wondering if I'd got out on the wrong side of bed when watching it this morning. The whole Whiterose interrogation scene was utterly pretentious. I was hoping it was a dream of Elliot's because it was ridiculous sub-par lynch/1984. The only thing that worked was getting to see BD Wong act.

Elliot following himself was stupid from the get-go. The show admitting it 10 minutes later didn't save that issue.

Price appearing to come out on top again was decent and I'm in the minority of enjoying Dom's plot scene (where FBI guy admits the USA is bought) and found the chat with Alexa good. Possibly because that felt like one of the most realistic conversations I've seen in this show for a while. Not sure if they were going for that irony.

The final episode is going to have to be special AND give me some confirmation on what this version of Tyrell actually is and whether Darlene is dead or not for me to not retreat into "let's see if this thread says it's back on track before watching again".

I need to find something to watch that's straight-forward and happy to be good rather than groundbreaking. Maybe something on BBC. I guess I've got Luke Cage to look forward to - those shows think they are amazing but they are actually just well-executed action shows. Sometimes that's all that's needed.

1 hour ago, red snow said:

Possibly because that felt like one of the most realistic conversations I've seen in this show for a while. Not sure if they were going for that irony.

I think this is what I miss about Season 1, it was grounded around the fact that Elliot had a life around which the crazy stuff was happening. Remember when he had a job, a boss, a friend, a girlfriend? When he did things like make plans, hack, see his therapist? When his friend Angela (back when she was a plausible human person) tried to get him to go to parties? Stuff like that. 

40 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

I think this is what I miss about Season 1, it was grounded around the fact that Elliot had a life around which the crazy stuff was happening. Remember when he had a job, a boss, a friend, a girlfriend? When he did things like make plans, hack, see his therapist? When his friend Angela (back when she was a plausible human person) tried to get him to go to parties? Stuff like that. 

I vaguely recall this. Again, the problem is that this isolation is probably the theme for the season so they've arguably done an excellent job. I can almost imagine Elliot talking to us in the last episode in a knowing "now that you hate me and my life" self-satisfied rant.

1 hour ago, Commodore said:

‘Mr. Robot’ Drags Bitcoin Into Its Dystopian Nightmare

author gets a few things wrong (China mining is not really a concern, and public adoption hasn't slowed down)

Public adoption has slowed absurdly down. Companies have abandoned their goals of accepting bitcoin in stores. 

Archived