Mad Max contd: further along the Fury Road [spoilers]

Fez

I'm honestly not even sure what a Blu ray is and how it differs from a standard DVD.  The only reason I got it is because someone mentioned all of the extras that come on the disc and I thought maybe I might like that.  But then again, I could probably find that stuff online after the disc is released?  

Ok, you've convinced me!  I'm canceling pre-order and buying digital copy so it can be watched immediately!

Blu Ray is to DVD what DVD was to VHS. (Or maybe laser disc.)

The picture quality is vastly improved.

So two awesome things.

Mad Max (the game) came out today, and at PAX they had  Mad Max Ubers driving people around town. That's cool.

The movie was also voted as the best movie this year by the International Film Critics. Usually this is a very artsy movie selected, so it's kind of awesome that it got that too.

Love, love, LURVE this movie (I think it's the only flick I've seen twice in the theatre in over a decade) but I just can't bring myself to buy the DVD. I think this movie was made for the giant screen/surround sound Dolby experience. I just can't imagine it being anything other than dissappointing (in relative terms) on the small screen. I can't wait for our local reperatory to throw up a Road Warrior/Fury Road double feature. I know it's coming. 

I agree it's made for the surround sound experience.  I found myself strangely disappointed when I watched it at home.  The movie is still good, but there was something vital missing when all I have are my lousy tv speakers.  It was the first time ever that I was wishing I had some crazy sound system installed in my home.  

I agree it's made for the surround sound experience.  I found myself strangely disappointed when I watched it at home.  The movie is still good, but there was something vital missing when all I have are my lousy tv speakers.  It was the first time ever that I was wishing I had some crazy sound system installed in my home.  

Yeah, I fear I'll have the same reaction. I have a great TV, but my sound system is for shit. Can't really justify dropping 5 bills or more on one. I just don't watch enough TV these days.

One huge aspect of this movie for me was the manner in which it just grabbed you by the balls right off the jump. I believe a huge part of this was the big screen, big sound experience. I just don't see it measuring up on the small screen.

I just know I'm probably gonna watch it tons of times on dvd anyway and make loads of little nerd notes on it lmao I don't go to the cinema too much these days (even tho i love it) and have tons of DVDs and never watched a blu ray so I think i'm gonna be satisfied but of course with this type of movie nothing really beats watching t in the theatre 

It's probably going to be different for everyone.  For me, in the theater this movie grabbed me by the guts, nearly to the spine.  Balls, guts, spine, all the same.  Some place inside of us that's vulnerable and private and feels things.  

Yeah, good post apocalypse or survival horror always makes me feel kind of impotent and small. Like I'm left admitting fairly early on that I would be sitting in somebodys stewpot.

Doesn't hurt, yeah. That's not to suggest that women won't enjoy this flick, just not sure what the equivalent descriptor might be.

Use your imagination, I'm interested now...

It's probably going to be different for everyone.  For me, in the theater this movie grabbed me by the guts, nearly to the spine.  Balls, guts, spine, all the same.  Some place inside of us that's vulnerable and private and feels things.  

When I watched this movie I felt some strange rapid beating sensation in my chest. It was just to the left of center, and so strange... It almost felt like there was some kind of muscle responding for the first time.

Yeah, good post apocalypse or survival horror always makes me feel kind of impotent and small. Like I'm left admitting fairly early on that I would be sitting in somebodys stewpot.

Really? I always think: I know that world is horrible, and I'd be shit in it. But god it looks fun, sign me up.

Really? I always think: I know that world is horrible, and I'd be shit in it. But god it looks fun, sign me up.

Fun isn't the word I'd use at all, especially when it's really dark and gritty. Whenever my wife and I see a movie like this we look at one another and just laugh. Yeah, we wouldn't last 5 minutes in that shit. No illusions there.

Finally got to see this today, and came away pretty impressed with it. I was aware that it had very little dialogue but it didn't bother me as much as I thought it might.

Yeah, it's almost a strength of this movie as far as I'm concerned. It's amazingly deep despite the lack of dialogue. Maybe in part because of it. Miller is one hell of a visual storyteller.

Fun isn't the word I'd use at all, especially when it's really dark and gritty. Whenever my wife and I see a movie like this we look at one another and just laugh. Yeah, we wouldn't last 5 minutes in that shit. No illusions there.

I don't think I'd do well there. I'm going to put it in a car term because that's the closest I get to it: do you not feel that desire deep down to not give a shit and take that corner way overspeed, the rush when you almost slide, when you take the blind rise, and feel your stomach drop out. It's stupid, it's dangerous, but the rush is amazing. Don't get me wrong, it'd be fucking horrible, but if you made it you'd really feel every second until the fiery bloody end.

Being a diabetic, everytime I watch a post-apocalyptic or zombie-style horror I know that I'd be one of the very first to bite it. I like to tell myself that I'd go out in some epic blaze of glory fighting hordes of cannibal raiders/zombies, but deep down I know I'm just as likely (if not more so) to die shitting myself to death in a ditch after eating some poorly cooked, diseased meat.

Love, love, LURVE this movie (I think it's the only flick I've seen twice in the theatre in over a decade) but I just can't bring myself to buy the DVD. I think this movie was made for the giant screen/surround sound Dolby experience. I just can't imagine it being anything other than dissappointing (in relative terms) on the small screen. I can't wait for our local reperatory to throw up a Road Warrior/Fury Road double feature. I know it's coming. 

Personally, I'm waiting for the supposed black-and-white blu-ray version that is coming out eventually. Hopefully it comes with a score-only track like was also rumored. And more commentary and special features.

Archived