Mad Max contd: further along the Fury Road [spoilers]

Fez

Let me just say that based on the trailer, I was definitely not going to watch the movie. Had something more interesting been playing, i.e. something with a better trailer, like Macbeth, I would not have watched Fury Road. The lack of choices made the decision for me.

And I'm going back because I feel I may have missed some things. My brother says the lizard Max ate at the beginning was two-headed, I didn't see that.

Hmmmm, I predict it doing great in DVD sales.

The Blu-ray will reportedly include a high-contrast black and white treatment of the movie that George Miller says is his favorite version.

Needless to say I'm all over that.

Oh god fuck blu-rays and their stupid extra features that they don't bother putting on the DVD releases. :crying:

Maybe you could go watch it with my grandma when it comes out on Betamax. ;)

The Blu-ray will reportedly include a high-contrast black and white treatment of the movie that George Miller says is his favorite version.

Needless to say I'm all over that.

Also a silent version, iirc. The black-and-white version was apparently what Miller originally went for, changed his mind and went with the really colorful one (which looked awesome) and then went back on it for the Blu-Ray release. I just want that Blu-Ray now.

Mad Max finally broke it's budget in the domestic take. It is still by far the best movie of this year in my humble opinion and I wish it would have done more.

I did my part. Saw it again on Sunday night. There were less than a dozen people in the theatre, and I had to drive to the next suburb south of me to find the closest theatre still playing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBcMKwbMEcQ

Mad Max finally broke it's budget in the domestic take. It is still by far the best movie of this year in my humble opinion and I wish it would have done more.

The reviewer Mark Kermode is always saying that to be considered a success a film needs to take 2.5x it's budget (including DVD, and TV rights.) Not sure where this figure comes from, but it's the one he always says. It might also be a different standard fro a 15 rated film. So they're very nearly there already. http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=furyroad.htm

Watched this last week and liked it way more than I expected... I'd never watched a Mad Max movie before and like others said, the trailer didn't do anything for me. But as it turned out it was more entertaining than 95% of movies coming out these days, partially because it doesn't pretend to be anything it isn't.

The reviewer Mark Kermode is always saying that to be considered a success a film needs to take 2.5x it's budget (including DVD, and TV rights.) Not sure where this figure comes from, but it's the one he always says. It might also be a different standard fro a 15 rated film. So they're very nearly there already. http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=furyroad.htm

It makes sense. After all, the studios: 1) don't get anywhere near 100% of the box office take (and quite a bit less than 50% in most foreign countries), 2) need to cover marketing costs as well, 3) need to make some sort of profit rather than just cover costs (otherwise, the producers should've put their money in stocks or bonds instead). Those factors, especially #1, mean that movies need to earn way more than just their budgets.

It makes sense. After all, the studios: 1) don't get anywhere near 100% of the box office take (and quite a bit less than 50% in most foreign countries), 2) need to cover marketing costs as well, 3) need to make some sort of profit rather than just cover costs (otherwise, the producers should've put their money in stocks or bonds instead). Those factors, especially #1, mean that movies need to earn way more than just their budgets.

I hadn't thought about the fact the cinema probably takes 50%. That said, the distributors can negotiate the percentage of the ticket they get. I think some of the big blockbusters can demand far higher. Not sure if it's true but I heard a lot of cinemas make very little off the ticket (most goes to the distributor) and that most of the profit comes from the food and drink?

I found this article that covers a lot of the things I vaguely recall. So it looks as though if you want to support the movie you go and see it upon release while if you want to support your local cinema you go and see the film 3 weeks after release.

I hadn't thought about the fact the cinema probably takes 50%. That said, the distributors can negotiate the percentage of the ticket they get. I think some of the big blockbusters can demand far higher. Not sure if it's true but I heard a lot of cinemas make very little off the ticket (most goes to the distributor) and that most of the profit comes from the food and drink?

My sister and brother-in-law had a friend who managed a movie theatre in the US. He would always let them in for free if they bought drinks and snacks. It cost them less than buying tickets, but the cinema made more money than on the ticket.

Archived