Mad Max contd: further along the Fury Road [spoilers]

Fez

Women are just characters in movies, with flaws and strengths. Just as men are characters in movies, with flaws and strengths. I think that's how they could be viewed. For a female character to be utterly competent and flawless in every way is in its own way insulting as it would be a pandering to the notions of female characters as having to represent all women, as to suggest that women can be summarized instead of individuals.

Characters only represent their entire gender if you decide that they do.

A story should have merit on its own, I believe, and not be didactic. I disagree with people who attempt to approach evaluation of stories and art on the didactic basis, as if that's a measure of artistic value - how well it represents ideals for society. That's asking it to be propaganda and not a real story.

So, Mad Max is within the week of making back its budget with its domestic gross. It is sitting at $147.7 million today. With another $200 million made internationally it is sitting as of right now at break even. This is before licensing and DVD sales. It should turn out a modest profit for the studio, but it certainly is not as successful as this film deserved to be. I can see serious deliberations before the studio green lights another one, and if they do, the budget can't be as high as what this film was. That is a shame.

So, Mad Max is within the week of making back its budget with its domestic gross. It is sitting at $147.7 million today. With another $200 million made internationally it is sitting as of right now at break even. This is before licensing and DVD sales. It should turn out a modest profit for the studio, but it certainly is not as successful as this film deserved to be. I can see serious deliberations before the studio green lights another one, and if they do, the budget can't be as high as what this film was. That is a shame.

A sequel shouldn't need as high a budget as this one had though; it was in development hell so long (and I'm not talking about the whole 30 year break, just the past 5-6 years working on this actual version of the film) that not all the money spent ended up being shown on screen.

A sequel shouldn't need as high a budget as this one had though; it was in development hell so long (and I'm not talking about the whole 30 year break, just the past 5-6 years working on this actual version of the film) that not all the money spent ended up being shown on screen.

If the next movie is a prequel for Furiosa's backstory then presumably at least some of the props and sets could be reused. She does wind up at the Citadel, after all.

I wonder, do studios take into account renewed sales of 1st installments when calculating projections for sequels? Or how about the people who buy the 1st movie but not the second because they figure they'll wait for the trilogy box set?

Silly questions, i guess. No doubt somebody somewhere is in charge of imagining all of the financial pros and cons of everything. But how much weight is any of that esoteric accounting given? Do studios just want to hear hard box office/DVD sales, or do other sorts of soft numbers add up enough to make a difference?

I'm sceptical that DVD sales really make a difference to whether a studio will make a big-budget sequel. For a film on this scale, surely they're just viewed as a bonus? I'm guessing the decision will come down to box-office numbers.

Not surprisingly, I'm late to the party.

I really enjoyed this. I wasn't going to watch it (the trailer sucked). But luckily, one of the cinemas close to where I live always gets movies really late. And it was the only thing with both Charlize Theron and Tom Hardy in it. So I gave it a shot. Best decision I've made this week.

The trailer was AWESOME :P What are you on about?

Glad you liked it tho!!!! :D

I hated the trailer. Turned out to be the best action movie I've seen in years. Go figure...

Archived