Do you believe in God?

Hoffa

If you ask whether I believe that some intelligent and omnipotent entity or entities created the universe and have control over everything that goes on, then the answer is a definite no.

No.

But I like certain aspects of Hinduism and Buddhism. And the Quran has some really beautiful poetry-like passages in it. But I don't think I've ever believed in God. I was raised Christian, but even then I was more afraid of the Devil than I believed in God...didn't make sense to my brother but it makes sense to me. I went to church and sang in Sunday school...but more so that I wouldn't end up in hell.

No, I pretty much think gods are a notion that humankind conjured up very early on to explain mysteries and it has evolved elaborately over the course of many millennium.

If I had to guess I'd say the sightings of lighting bolts and constellations were great influences towards the creation of early oral histories that filled the gaps for explaining events we did not understand.

If there were a Goddess though, i'd nominate Michelle Kwan or Alanis Morrissette for the job- http://youtu.be/i-jSWME37As

Nope, but I sorta dig living across the street from a Catholic church. The bells are nice, even if they do ring an awful lot! (Three times every weekday, before masses on Saturday and Sunday and holy days, and for weddings and funerals.). Nor do I have a problem with attending church when visiting my very religious in-laws. It makes them happy and doesn't hurt me. You believe whatever you want and I won't say a word against it. Unless of course, you are using your faith as justification to harm other people.

No, to put it bluntly.

I was raised Christian, but even when I went to church it was more a case of doing it so as not to come under fire from certain family members. Which isn't a good enough reason to do so, in my opinion.

I'll never say never as far as religion goes - but at this point in my life, I am happy enough not to not have religion in it.

No. I haven't believed since I was 11, but I was 25 before I was able to acknowledge it to myself and others.

Why do you ask? It's always interesting to me how much people care about other people's personal beliefs.

I didn't, but then I watched

, and I learned that 1) Shakespeare is for assholes and 2) I was really just angry at God, which of course I couldn't be if I didn't believe in Him, duh!

I saw Dean Cain in there. Now I don't know how seriously I should take the movie.

I've never been able to understand why a god would care whether I believed in them or not. Like, how narcissistic to think that an omnipotent creator of the universe is wringing their hands somewhere and fretting about what you think of them.

I've never been able to understand why a god would care whether I believed in them or not. Like, how narcissistic to think that an omnipotent creator of the universe is wringing their hands somewhere and fretting about what you think of them.

I have thoughts along these lines all the time. An all-powerful omnipotent being that reigns supreme over the entire vast physical universe and whatever other unseen spiritual planes of existence is keeping tabs on my church attendance?

I was never truly comfortable in church but I played along until I left for college. I was flabbergasted when my parents left the Church. Seriously, I grew up going to mass every week and I took religious ed classes until high school. We even went to church on vacation and my uncle said mass in my grandmother's living room every time the family got together. Us kids would do the readings and Father Jim would have a homily and everything.

I was never truly comfortable in church but I played along until I left for college. I was flabbergasted when my parents left the Church. Seriously, I grew up going to mass every week and I took religious ed classes until high school. We even went to church on vacation and my uncle said mass in my grandmother's living room every time the family got together. Us kids would do the readings and Father Jim would have a homily and everything.

That's interesting. Do you think your parents were only going for your benefit?

Archived