Rant and Rave Without Repercussion 2 (Book Spoilers)

To be fair, the writers have displayed that they have zero knowledge on ancient warfare. Not one battle shown in the show displayed any type of tactics from any of the belligerents.

Battle of the Greenfork- Skipped.

Battle of the Blackwater- Just a bunch of guys engaging in a melee after one big explosion happened. Even Tyrion's "sortie" didn't make any sense.

Battle of the Wall- Again, just a big melee.

Battle at Hardhome- Melee.

Battle of Winterfell- Just one big clash, and presumably a melee afterwards.

Stannis's breaking the Wilding Army by hitting it with a classic calvary pincer was decent. Otherwise most of it is bad, and its pretty clear they don't have any sort of consultant to go "Uh guys, that sounds terrible," when it comes to scripting.

So he was planning a long siege... with limited food supplies? LOL, even better.

And let's not forget, since it's a siege, that Ramsay & his 20 good men burned all the siege engines. :lol:

And let's not forget, since it's a siege, that Ramsay & his 20 good men burned all the siege engines. :lol:

siege em with the bad pussy, or somethin...so stupid...i can't understand how so many people can defend that entire insane break down of stannis army like it is believable at all.

Does it count as reading when they clearly only looked at the blurb on the back of AFFC and ADWD?

I guess it does :dunno:

To be fair, the writers have displayed that they have zero knowledge on ancient warfare. Not one battle shown in the show displayed any type of tactics from any of the belligerents.

Battle of the Greenfork- Skipped.

Battle of the Blackwater- Just a bunch of guys engaging in a melee after one big explosion happened. Even Tyrion's "sortie" didn't make any sense.

Battle of the Wall- Again, just a big melee.

Battle at Hardhome- Melee.

Battle of Winterfell- Just one big clash, and presumably a melee afterwards.

That means they are at their strongest in the dialogue department with gems like... "you want the bad pus$#"

Thing is though, this means it's about 99% certain that next season Jorah and Daario will actually stumble across it on their excellent adventure! :drool:

Well, it's Daario's penis ring anyway so he has to find it you see. Perfect moment for some happy tales about tapping that Targaryen booty to Ser Friendzone.

DW said that Renly would have been better king than Stannis and they had made Stannis burn his daughter basically because of snowstorm (he still had horses for food). So we can see a bit of an agenda creeping up here.

I agree with this.

After all, everyone made a big fuss about the supposed "Night's King" but GRRM has confirmed that the canon Night's King is long dead. Treat all show "spoilers" with caution.

Thanks for opening v.2 of this thread.

Me, too! I'm not at all afraid of being "spoiled" by the show. As to why, here's just one hypothetical example: let's say Arya dies at the end. To that I would say, big deal, I've believed that was foreshadowed in the books long ago. But the real meat would be in how and why she dies, the context, the details, etc. And at this point I don't think the show is really going to spoil that for us :dunno:

DW said that Renly would have been better king than Stannis and they had made Stannis burn his daughter basically because of snowstorm (he still had horses for food). So we can see a bit of an agenda creeping up here.

Figures they are Renly fans. Just like Renly, they are just copper, like Donal Noye would put it. Stannis though, he was the true steel. Not in the show though, that didn't make sense to them creatively.

Stannis's breaking the Wilding Army by hitting it with a classic calvary pincer was decent. Otherwise most of it is bad, and its pretty clear they don't have any sort of consultant to go "Uh guys, that sounds terrible," when it comes to scripting.

Same would go with the Bolton Cavalry breaking Stannis army, but maybe it's much easier(or maybe easier to understand?) To portray heavy cavalry tactics than defensive infantry formations.

You don't get it. D&D abhor Stannis, I dunno why, but their opinions on religion seem very strong, maybe they hate that he sticks with Mel or something? They had to kill him off for whatever reason, truth be told, they already killed him in season two, despite the awesome acting from Stephen.

That's probably part of it. Like how he started season 4 by burning an infidel. Same thing with the Sparrows. They're all a bunch of lunatic homophobes with the seven carved into their skulls. Is there any homophobia from anyone that isn't just making a joke at Renly or Loras specifically?

I'm really gonna miss Stephen Dillane's acting.

The more D&B write the more this show falls into traditional network TV tropes. So much this season has either been riddled with plot holes or nonsensical, and a lot of the story telling (Ellaria kissing Myrcella) has been extremely blunt. A lot of "telling" rather than "showing", you know?

Meh, overall GoT is still one of the best shows out there, I think. Just nowhere near as good as it was.

Also, obligatory "BAHHHHH WHY NO LADY STONEHEART UHHHHHHGGGG".

Either they keep him Larry or...as David Nutter suggested (and this is super super dumb so prepare yourself): Larry wants to keep Trystane safe but Carol wants to hurt him as revenge for Myrcella. That's when they finally are done.

Sigh, I can already see Larry taking Trystane to Meereen to keep him safe. "You know, while he's there we can have him court Dany."

Renly, the not particularly smart man who preferred shiny empty spectacle to anything actually meaningful? No idea why they would like him. :rolleyes:

Me, too! I'm not at all afraid of being "spoiled" by the show. As to why, here's just one hypothetical example: let's say Arya dies at the end. To that I would say, big deal, I've believed that was foreshadowed in the books long ago. But the real meat would be in how and why she dies, the context, the details, etc. And at this point I don't think the show is really going to spoil that for us :dunno:

Exactly. It isn't just about "The End". It's the journey.

btw Preston Jacobs review of this episode really is great. I couldn't help but laugh at his take on Dorne. I don't agree with any of his theories on the books, quite the opposite I'd say, but he did a bang-up job on the show.

his theory regarding a possible Stannis diversion plan would actually be redeemable for the show, if Stannis didn´t risk his life at the front of the line...

good plan, but not if you´re dead before executing it...

Honestly, I don't see the connection between religion and their opinion of Stannis. I mean, book Stannis is pretty much an atheist. He just humours Mel because she has power, divine or otherwise. Their must be another reason for their hatred of him.

EDIT: oh right, they haven't read the books. That's why they thought Stannis was a religious zealot.

Not just a religious zealot, but according to Benioff (I think), he is driven by ambition.

Exactly, I read LOTR after watching the films, it didn't take anything away from the books themselves.

And at least PJ GOT LOTR, unlike a pair of showrunners I know. There is just so much more to the books, and even if we don't watch GoT, anyone not hiding under a rock is going to get spoiled by their friends anyway.

Still, keep saying that little prayer at night for TWOW, it has double significance now, as we know D&D hate religion.

Well, let's talk about this: http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/06/game-of-thrones-finale-cliffhangers

Stannis is definitely dead (no shock there), but as for why we didn't see the death, Director David Nutter said "It would have been gratuitous. You really got a sense that Stannis had nothing else to live for. Brienne’s lifelong mission had come to an end. It’s a situation in which Stannis was ready to die and prepared to die."

:bang:

No no no no no... Her lifelong mission, sigh. Everything is revenge to these people, sigh. What the hell, sigh.

She wants to be a true knight. Sigh.

Same would go with the Bolton Cavalry breaking Stannis army, but maybe it's much easier(or maybe easier to understand?) To portray heavy cavalry tactics than defensive infantry formations.

I'm probably biased but the Bolton charge looked more like them just enveloping and overwhelming than anything tactical. Bolton calvary hit them from the sides because that was the only way to get in on the action. The discontinuity of numbers (Stannis has nearly twice our numbers) to Stannis losing half his army but having it appear quarter sized on screen) just makes it difficult for me to take the scene seriously.

Archived