Star Wars Episode VII THE SPOILERS Strike Back

Martell Spy

This will probably turn out to be the cause

And this will be my reaction when they announce it

Kristen-Bell-Laughing-to-Crying.gif

They could do that but you don't really need too, was a little to geeked up the first time I saw it, and just got back from my second viewing. When Rey touched the Skywalker Saber we see her memories, not Anakin or Luke's. It seems she was at Lukes temple when it fell, we see the Kights of Ren, which are Snokes people with Ren and someone gets killed by Ren. If she is Luke's daughter then Han and Leia may not know or it was something they only suspected

Ren became very interested in Rey the moment a girl is mentioned from that world. In the movie it is mentioned that she took priority over BB-8 for him the General mentions this. Then Ren tries to explain it, but the explanation makes little sense and Finn would of served the same purpose. But the moment a girl is mentioned from that world he immediately force chokes the messenger. Han and Leia would of left Rey with that Old dude that had the map if anything but she was left with that guy who is scrap dealer.

I am also guessing the Knight's of Ren are members of Lukes temple who Ren and Snoke turned, Dark Jedi, young people he trained with. So Luke sets up a temple and his Nephew goes bad and several of his students turn to the Darkside and his Daughter is either murdered or taken. No wonder he took off. It's odd that Leia would even go up to Rey and hug her as they have never met, but she is force sensitive and she may have suspected and then when Rey shows up and she sees her she may know. The Chewie thing is just odd they basically ignore each other. Which is strange because Chewie can't wait to hug her the first time he sees her. It would of worked better had she hugged Chewie and then noticed Rey and gotten a holy shit look on her face, and then gone and hugged her. Han does seem to be suspecting something about her in the movie and we never here what he says or why they felt the need to cut away at that moment. Maz then tells her the Skywalker Lightsaber is calling to her and that it is hers, and the women is not shocked at all.

In the final fight Ren is not trying to kill Rey, he was trying to capture her again. He offers to teach her the way of the force. Rey's memories should be fractured if she is a child and she witnesses the slaughter at the temple, it is easily enough to cause repressed memories, then abandonment and imagine if it is someone the child trusted doing the killing, like a trusted family member. That much trauma can cause repression and disassociation. Young Rey is only like 5-7 years old. Han may have suspected she is Force sensitive and then the Skywalker Lightsaber may have tipped him off some. Leia may have felt a deep connection the moment she saw her. Same sort of feeling she got around lets say Luke and that could of tipped her, why else would it be Rey and only Rey going to him when the resistance has been searching for him? Plus you also have time, when I was 20 I did not look anything like I did when I was 5. Family members I saw between 13 and 16 didn't even recognize me after a couple of years.

You can add some decent logic to the story, that is not really that far out there. Or it's lazy shortcuts, I hope it's not lazy short cuts, there are some really easy plot hole fixes floating around. They could go the way of forced memory repression and still be in canon, KOTOR did it with Reven and people seemed ok with that.  

Almost forgot got a bonus this time around, saw the Magical creatures trailer which I am not that interested in and got no reaction from the audience and saw the X-men trailer. I am gonna spoil something for everyone though, Sansa is in it, yep she got tired of the Ramsey stuff jumped ship and joined the X-Men.

You can add some decent logic to the story, that is not really that far out there. Or it's lazy shortcuts, I hope it's not lazy short cuts, there are some really easy plot hole fixes floating around. They could go the way of forced memory repression and still be in canon, KOTOR did it with Reven and people seemed ok with that.  

The more KotoR-ish stuff they introduce in the movies the better. Ren already felt like a KotoR style Sith/Dark Sider (reminded me a little of Juhani), plus Revan mask and robes. This is on top of the KotoR planets that are increasingly being entrenched in the new canon. Bring it on.

The more KotoR-ish stuff they introduce in the movies the better. Ren already felt like a KotoR style Sith/Dark Sider (reminded me a little of Juhani), plus Revan mask and robes. This is on top of the KotoR planets that are increasingly being entrenched in the new canon. Bring it on.

I am very ok with it, and you are right about the mask I didn't even think of that, and memory repression led to one of the best Star Wars Characters. And KOTOR still followed a formula, middle act huge surprise. Juhani is a good call, the first thing I thought when I saw the splash poster was Rey reminds me of a young Bastila.

http://a.dilcdn.com/bl/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2015/10/tfa_poster_wide_header-1536x864-959818851016.jpg

Her staff overlays Ren's lightsaber and they added a central flare that altered the color from Red to orange in the middle.

401540-kotor_1.jpg

She even has here hair pulled back like Rey.

f2ga1myt5nqpsyxkqae9.jpg

And of course the mask, the whole outfit really.

I also want more of these guys,

119r09d.jpg

That is just pure Kung Fu that's what that is. Jedi Knight's turned to the Darkside.

file_2052065.jpg

You know if the staff is an indicator for Rey, will we see the double bladed Lightsaber return? Maybe even force Bond.

I really hope they get Ford back for some flashbacks. Maybe utilizing that CGI de-aging seen in the opening of Ant Man. I'm sure there are ways to fill in the gaps without him but I'd love to see his reaction to his son's turning to the dark side. Especially if his last interaction with Luke is an angry one. 

Saw it twice on the weekend. (obviously) loved it. Agreed a little more explanation would be good, that Leia should have hugged Chewy at the end, and that Luke's scene should have been cut or had a little said. Personally thought Ren was fantastic as a partial dark-Jedi who was conflicted and finding his way. The light sabre battle was one of my favourites, and I thought the character of Rei was amazing. Loved her. And Harrison Ford was great. The new actors really captured a lot of that bouncing off each other charisma the original movies had.

Personal theory - after the destruction of his academy and death of many of the students Luke mind-wiped the younglings, and maybe also gave them sub-conscious training. He then left each of them with the final part of the map scattered over the galaxy. He let everyone else think they had all died, protecting them with anonymity. This would allow a new generation of Jedi to come forward without having their training sabotaged - and nicely present a cadre of Jedi in Episode VIII or IX to fight the Knights of Ren. So opens the possibility of a few battles with multiple light-sabre wielding people, and explain how the jedi "just appeared". It just happens that Rei - his daughter - is the first one to start finding herself. It would explain why the map was there to be found on the same planet she was, although something obviously broke down in the management of her upbringing. It would also explain why R2D2 was sitting on the rest of the map - he was waiting for one of the younglings to appear with the other piece. It would be logical for any of them seeking out Luke to go to Leia, and that's where R2D2 was.

My (very forlorn) hope is that in Episode VIII Ren is actually turned away from Snoke by a Sith. I hate there are no Sith but one biding its time to take Snoke's key apprentice away would be cool. It could then be implied the Knights of Ren are nowhere near as skilled as Jedi/Sith, which would explain why Ren's skills are incomplete. It would be hilarious if that was Phasma - and she didn't fight the guys over the shields because she wanted the First Order's base destroyed. It would also give her the access to Ren to start turning him. Very much doubt this as a possibility, and note I stopped reading the books a long time ago!

On some of the other things brought up in this thread:

• It should be noted that Ben was showing Vader like elements before going to train. Han said he had too much Vader, and Leia says that's why she wanted him to train with Luke. So the odds are that things were going pear-shaped even before he went to train with Luke, and the people annoyed that the only thing he is angry with his parents over is being sent off are wrong.
  • If a laser/hyperdrive weapon is big enough to hit and destroy planets, its quite likely ships in orbit around the planet would also be hit. So if one or more of the planets contained naval ship yards then a good chunk of the Republic fleet could have been destroyed.
  • On an early rant about two people just picking up and being able to use a light sabre - well Finn did get his ass kicked twice. I thought it was quite clear that Ren was playing with Fin until he got that lucky strike in, after which Ren had him on the ground in seconds.

His name is not Ren.  Call him Kylo if you prefer a single name.  Ren is a title, like Moff or Darth.

That may well be true, but it's not certain, I'd say. It could be both his name and a title, somewhat like Julius Caesar, taking the title/the name of his order as his name. IMO the way Hux says it in the film sounds as much like a name as a title.

Obi-Wan calls Vader "Darth" in the first film, so even if it is a title (I'm fairly certain we don't actually know) I'm fine with calling him "Ren".

In context, I read it as almost a disdainful remark from Obi-Wan. Like, 'Only a master of evil, punk-ass bruh!'

In context, I read it as almost a disdainful remark from Obi-Wan. Like, 'Only a master of evil, punk-ass bruh!'

Of course, in reality it's because at the time of the filming of Star Wars (not called "A New Hope" back then) - it's because his actual name was Darth Vader.  I am firmly convinced that the plot of the first movie was straight forward, and in fact Darth Vader had killed Anakin Skywalker in the past.  The whole "I am your father" and Anakin=Vader was total retconning in ESB.

His name is not Ren.  Call him Kylo if you prefer a single name.  Ren is a title, like Moff or Darth.

Ever since Stimpy was killed, he's preferred the name Kylo.

I love reading through this thread, and all the debates... Under-used never un-helmeted Gwen Christie... How Rey could fly, and where she got the mad Jedi skills from.... etc.... I'll just add a couple of things:

Adam Driver has a fantastic, non-Hollywood look.... I was happy that when he pulled his mask off that Prince Caspian wasn't under there...

Smart move killing off Han.... it really sets up Kylo as a top notch villain.... and let's face it, he ain't no spring chicken to be doing Sci Fi flicks...

I also like seeing Oscar Isaac in a non asshole role... he was really likeable

The android BB8 was cute, but they didn't O.D. with him... and there was no Ewok/Jar Jar element to this movie....

Phasma's call to lower the shields didn't bother me as much as it being possible for one person being able to lower the shields in a room with no one else in it...  "lets have a big control room, except for the shields, lets control those from the broom closet."

Snoke reminded me of General Fallon from Jock the Giant Slayer, all he needed was a little head on his shoulder.... I heard a theory that Snoke is Darth Plagus ... who was probably named by JK Rowling.

It's a strange thing too because I really like Poe, yet at the same time wish his revival was done in a more believable way.

I guess it's just one of those things I have to accept as "movie magic", lol

That or he's also force sensitive deus ex...

I need to go back and read the rest of the thread and the last one. But since I just saw the movie, I wanted to give my impression now. I liked it, a lot. But it also could've been a lot better. I thought the entire third act, from the moment Leia showed up through the end, was too rushed, with too much being crammed in. On the other hand, the first two thirds were mostly too slow; albeit not too badly. I also couldn't figure out the backstory at all; like what the difference between the Resistance and the Republic was, whether the Republic was just a single system, and just how powerful the First Order is. And I wish Oscar Issac had been given a lot more to do.

All that being said, I had a big smile on my face for most of the movie and I thought all the actors did a great job and that the movie looked fantastic. 

I will say, I wasn't remotely surprised when Han Solo got killed. He had so much screen time up to that point, and given Ford's previous statements about wishing he had been killed in the OT; I assumed this was all leading to some grand send off. I just wish it was a better death. Kylo Ren was fine, but I've known him for all of two hours; so the emotional weight of him killing his father just wasn't there for me. Whereas I've known Han Solo since I was 4 or 5. It just wasn't satisfying.

I need to go back and read the rest of the thread and the last one. But since I just saw the movie, I wanted to give my impression now. I liked it, a lot. But it also could've been a lot better. I thought the entire third act, from the moment Leia showed up through the end, was too rushed, with too much being crammed in. On the other hand, the first two thirds were mostly too slow; albeit not too badly. I also couldn't figure out the backstory at all; like what the difference between the Resistance and the Republic was, whether the Republic was just a single system, and just how powerful the First Order is. And I wish Oscar Issac had been given a lot more to do.

All that being said, I had a big smile on my face for most of the movie and I thought all the actors did a great job and that the movie looked fantastic. 

I will say, I wasn't remotely surprised when Han Solo got killed. He had so much screen time up to that point, and given Ford's previous statements about wishing he had been killed in the OT; I assumed this was all leading to some grand send off. I just wish it was a better death. Kylo Ren was fine, but I've known him for all of two hours; so the emotional weight of him killing his father just wasn't there for me. Whereas I've known Han Solo since I was 4 or 5. It just wasn't satisfying.

Remember in the first star wars we had no answers. None, we knew there was a rebellion, we knew there was an empire, and we knew star destroyers were big. They are using that formula. We will get more explanation as we go on. Something has occurred to me what happens if reys mother is from the new books? I haven't read them yet- but is there any clues?

Why is Rian Johnson doing Episode VIII/IX and not JJ?

Already answered, but it should be noted that these type of films are incredibly time-consuming and draining. There was talk of Johnson doing VIII / IX at one point, but the amount of work involved probably deterred him from taking both -- they were already filming VIII while JJ was overseeing the edit and final effects work. Apparently Johnson is overseeing the script to IX, and with Disney keeping a tight leash and Abrams in the producer chair, well, I'm hoping we won't see a significant drop in quality across the trilogy. Even with a few flaws here and there with VII (the only thing that bugged me were the CGI creatures in the frigate sequence), there's a lot they can capitalize on.

Archived