Star Wars Episode VIII: The Force Rolls out of Bed and Stretches [Ep VII Spoilers]

Davrum

Watched it again this morning and I don't know what Leia thought would happen if Han had actually convinced their son to come back.  He's still a murderer and war criminal! At the very least you'd think he'd get life in prison. 

And I'm still at a loss on how that map is supposed to make any sense whatsoever. 

29 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Watched it again this morning and I don't know what Leia thought would happen if Han had actually convinced their son to come back.  He's still a murderer and war criminal! At the very least you'd think he'd get life in prison. 

And I'm still at a loss on how that map is supposed to make any sense whatsoever. 

Star Wars has a weird history of embracing redeemed war criminals.  Kyp Durron.  Revan.  Jacen Solo.  etc.

12 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Star Wars has a weird history of embracing redeemed war criminals.  Kyp Durron.  Revan.  Jacen Solo.  etc.

It's like the Dark Side is a get out of jail free card. If the Dark Side was involved you can't be held accountable for your actions. 

Too bad the Emperor didn't get redeemed. I'm sure he'd have some great ideas on how to defeat The First Order.

Redemption is kind of a major theme in Star Wars. Plus, the Jedi don't believe in killing their prisoners, and it'd be difficult to keep a force wielder imprisoned for too long, so you have few options beyond trying to redeem them. 

1 minute ago, ab aeterno said:

Redemption is kind of a major theme in Star Wars. Plus, the Jedi don't believe in killing their prisoners, and it'd be difficult to keep a force wielder imprisoned for too long, so you have few options beyond trying to redeem them. 

Yes... but the galaxy at large are not subscribers to the Jedi philosophy.  You'd think destroying a star system or two like Durron would have been pretty much a non-starter to a democratic government like the New Republic.

Just now, Rhom said:

Yes... but the galaxy at large are not subscribers to the Jedi philosophy.  You'd think destroying a star system or two like Durron would have been pretty much a non-starter to a democratic government like the New Republic.

Which is why it's convenient that Dark Sider's use alternate names and often cover or disguise their faces, so the vast majority of people would never know. 

Furthermore, my client had no involvement with the destruction of the Hosnian system. The record will show that he was not present on Starkiller Base when the weapon was fired and was not involved in the decision to use the weapon. He wishes the Court to know that he denounces that heinous act and gives his deepest condolences to the aggrieved. He would further like to confirm that he will testify against the responsible parties if and when they are apprehended. 

The prosecution calls upon the testimony of Poe Dameron.

Mr Dameron is an eyewitness to the murder of Lor San Tekka by the defendant Ben Solo, AKA Kylo Ren. Furthermore Dameron saw Ben Solo give the order that resulted in the massacre of an entire village on Jakku.

If the mask fits, you must convict.

3 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Mr Dameron is an eyewitness to the murder of Lor San Tekka by the defendant Ben Solo, AKA Kylo Ren. Furthermore Dameron saw Ben Solo give the order that resulted in the massacre of an entire village on Jakku.

I don't know if Kylo Ren will survive this, but there is still a good chance he will be redeemed. Vader murdered kids, died, but was redeemed.

6 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Circumstantial! Did Poe Dameron see my client's face? Or did he merely see a man in robes wearing a mask? Can he be sure that it wasn't another man?

I put it to you that what your client saw was an imposter! An impostor sent by agents of the sinister First Order to frame my client in retaliation for his opposition to the barbarous ways of the Order!

2 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I guess in the SW universe, "just following orders" should be a somewhat valid defence, if you claim you were coerced by the force...

I was... just... following... or..ghchychchacchhhh [wheezing] [thudding sound]

[mod]

There is a Reddit post with alleged spoilers from a review of a leaked script for Episode VIII.  

Don't be posting anything about this script without the heaviest spoiler protection.

[/mod]

22 hours ago, Electric Bass said:

The movie was on at the dollar theater here, so I went and tried to watch it again on Saturday. "Tried" being the operative word - the first 20 minutes were excellent, but once Han showed up the whole thing just became increasingly difficult to keep watching. There's a huge stretch in the middle of the movie that's dull to rewatch.

I have seen it 17 times now, and I couldn't disagree more. I personally think the strength of the movie is the introduction of Han and his character development throughout the film.

19 minutes ago, Howdyphillip said:

I have seen it 17 times now, and I couldn't disagree more. I personally think the strength of the movie is the introduction of Han and his character development throughout the film.

I'd agree with the idea the quality dipped for 5-10 minutes upon the introduction of Han but that's just because of the silly tentacle alien chase scene (the worst part of the film for me). I thought Han was handled well though and I'm looking forward to watching it again at the weekend now I know what happens.

The balance was done I think as well as it could have been. We needed to meet and get invested in our new heroes, and also join up with the old again. This is why Luke being absent, and Leia showing up later was good, it let us focus on Han in what was his last performance as the character.Same with why Poe found his own way back to the resistance, we needed to focus on Rey and Finn.

I agree that the monster sequence seemed a little out of place, but it wasn't too awful, and it was nice to see a Glaswegian space gangster.

1 minute ago, The BlackBear said:

it let us focus on Han in what was his last performance as the character.

Don't think there's any chance of a force-ghost Han showing up for a scene at some point?

I know that doesn't make much logical sense, but it just feels like something that could happen; particularly in (presumably) IX when Kylo dies and/or is redeemed.

4 minutes ago, The BlackBear said:

The balance was done I think as well as it could have been. We needed to meet and get invested in our new heroes, and also join up with the old again. This is why Luke being absent, and Leia showing up later was good, it let us focus on Han in what was his last performance as the character.Same with why Poe found his own way back to the resistance, we needed to focus on Rey and Finn.

I agree that the monster sequence seemed a little out of place, but it wasn't too awful, and it was nice to see a Glaswegian space gangster.

Surprising they did not add subtitles :P 

34 minutes ago, Fez said:

Don't think there's any chance of a force-ghost Han showing up for a scene at some point?

I know that doesn't make much logical sense, but it just feels like something that could happen; particularly in (presumably) IX when Kylo dies and/or is redeemed.

I think that we may see him as a narrator for the young Han Solo film. That would be the most logical spot to give him a curtain call. It would be awesome having him share stories with a young Ben Solo.

Archived