Harrison Ford to return as Dr. Jones...

Rhom

9 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

:lol:

Seriously, I have no recollection what the plot was. I will re-watch it. 

:D

That's a go to line in my house. "You <verb>.... poorly..."

Never understood the hate for ToD, I think its fantastic in an over the top, campy throwback to 30s adventure movies.

In contrast the first half of Last Crusade , outside of the pre credits sequence, is dull and laborious. Its not till Connery turns up the movie becomes great. 

Crystal Skull is flat out awful from the first minute to the last.

1 minute ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Never understood the hate for ToD, I think its fantastic in an over the top, campy throwback to 30s adventure movies.

In contrast the first half of Last Crusade , outside of the pre credits sequence, is dull and laborious. Its not till Connery turns up the movie becomes great. 

Agree about ToD, and again happy I opted out of watching CS. 

Well, there ya go. Turns out that personal dislike of a film is not always a sign of its indisputably awful awfulness. Who knew? ;)

Seriously, if you have time to liste, here's a great podcast that sums up a number of the reasons why Crystal Skull is not as bad as people claim it is:

https://www.theincomparable.com/ump/39/index.php

But that'll do, as I have argued the points many times and this is not a thread about that movie. It's about the next one. :)

Given the fact Crystal Skull was bad (only watched it the once and felt the ending was the only terrible part) / something that wasn't good enough to watch again I'm actually happy they are making another one. It's going to get harder to make more films with Ford as Indy and I think it would be great to have a strong film to make up for crystal skull.

The issue is whether/how they go about franchising it. Do they introduce a son or merely do this film and then do more adventures from Indy's past? I 'd prefer the latter. For some weird reason I'd like the actor getting to play young Han to get the part - although Indy might work better with a slightly older actor.

So I'm pretty pro new film. Hopefully they learn from their mistakes. It seems like that for star wars.

16 minutes ago, red snow said:

Given the fact Crystal Skull was bad (only watched it the once and felt the ending was the only terrible part) / something that wasn't good enough to watch again I'm actually happy they are making another one. It's going to get harder to make more films with Ford as Indy and I think it would be great to have a strong film to make up for crystal skull.

The issue is whether/how they go about franchising it. Do they introduce a son or merely do this film and then do more adventures from Indy's past? I 'd prefer the latter. For some weird reason I'd like the actor getting to play young Han to get the part - although Indy might work better with a slightly older actor.

So I'm pretty pro new film. Hopefully they learn from their mistakes. It seems like that for star wars.

I'd much rather option 2 as well, a young Indy pre Raiders.

Was just reading this, and yeah, only speculation but I'm not crazy about the idea of the new one having the Vietnam War as backdrop.

can't get the link thing to work:

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-03-16/everything-fans-want-to-see-from-the-new-indiana-jones-movie

To me, Indiana Jones works best as a period 1920-30's serial adventure. That's the golden era of treasure hunting.

While I would like to see Ford come back to redeem CS as his final crack of the whip, I hope any future movies past that is a reboot.

48 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

To me, Indiana Jones works best as a period 1920-30's serial adventure. That's the golden era of treasure hunting.

While I would like to see Ford come back to redeem CS as his final crack of the whip, I hope any future movies past that is a reboot.

Agreed, but I do think you can effectively set it in another era. For me, it's all about the artifact they are centering on, and the villain who is racing him to possess it. 

Not really sure what they do here.  Ford is going to be 77, he can't do the action sequences.  They also swung and missed when grooming thier next "star", as Shia LeBoeuef is too toxic for Disney to use as a star.

That being said, Disney puts out good shit.  I'll go see it, whatever it works.

4 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Put me in the camp of "Crystal Skull isn't a complete train wreck".  If one takes it into context and looks at it from the perspective of the era of film it was attempting to portray, it works.  It's good.  Not great.  Good. 

I don't see how you can extol the virtues of the 30s adventure serials, but reject Crystal Skull out of hand without looking at it as a 50s era anti-communism scifi romp.  Looking at the story in the context of which it was meant helps.  I won't say it forgives everything, but not attempting to look at the movie in the same manner as what came before helps.

But then again, Le Beef. :blink:

Just now, Jaxom 1974 said:

Put me in the camp of "Crystal Skull isn't a complete train wreck".  If one takes it into context and looks at it from the perspective of the era of film it was attempting to portray, it works.  It's good.  Not great.  Good. 

I don't see how you can extol the virtues of the 30s adventure serials, but reject Crystal Skull out of hand without looking at it as a 50s era anti-communism scifi romp.  Looking at the story in the context of which it was meant helps.  I won't say it forgives everything, but not attempting to look at the movie in the same manner as what came before helps.

But then again, Le Beef. :blink:

Honestly le beef is not the worst part of that movie. I don't think it manages to portray any sort of era successfully, nor is it even trying. It doesn't have a pulp feel, it feels like a big action blockbuster that just been incompetently made. The worst part is just that the story is long and tedious, it confuses you as to what is going on, has zero emotional involvement.. the action is bland and poorly done, and it has those bloody CGI monkeys. 

I can't for the life of me understand how Spielberg allowed this to happen. Interviews I read suggested he put a lot of faith in Lucas' writing and just stopped arguing with him. A contrast to some of Lucas' earlier movies where I've read conversations between him and Spielberg where Lucas was put in his place about some of his ludicrous ideas.

Crystal Skull was good. Not brilliant, but better than Temple of Doom. Heck, if you gave me a choice of rewatching Crystal Skull or Last Crusade I'd have to think about it.

It didn't get good marks because of nostalgia. It gets over-criticised because of nostalgia. Nostalgia made people want to see Indy fight Nazis over religious artefacts instead of fighting commies over aliens: and nostalgia makes them forget that the middle two movies aren't actually as good as we remember them being. Take a few elements out (action set pieces, individual acting performances) and what's left is not a shadow of Raiders.

Crystal Skull also loses marks for Shia, of course. He is pretty bad.

Anyway, I'll be intrigued to see how they're going to approach this, because Ford is not capable of doing anything much physical. Shia won't be back, but they need someone to take on his role (not Mutt: that'll likely be quietly disposed of. I mean the character who does the fighting and the stunts).

I agree with Mormont here except about Last Crusade, that's my favorite Indy film.

I rank them:

Last Crusade

Raiders

Crystal Skull

Temple of Doom

I give ToD credit for trying to be a darker and a bit different installment of the series but that doesn't stop me from just feeling bored by the time the raft hits the Ganges every time I try to watch it.

Crystal Skull is silly but I can en joy it more than ToD, the only things really bothering me being the monkees and Shia totally through the film.

But on a bothersome scale Mutt and Billy are still about equal for me.

I also love the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles. The one with bearded Indy (because Ford was filming The Fugitive and couldn't shave when he did the cameo) was a highlight of the series for me but not just because of Ford, the entire story was good.

I am enthusthiastic about another Indy movie.

Reading the posts here I just realised... I don't remember anything from TLC other than Sean Connery and River Phoenix were in it. Can't even remember if I liked it or not so much. 

You remember... Poorly...

Everytime I make a decision that turns out to be a good one, no matter how minor - usually more when it's minor - I say to myself "You chose...wisely."

10 minutes ago, drawkcabi said:

You remember... Poorly...

Everytime I make a decision that turns out to be a good one, no matter how minor - usually more when it's minor - I say to myself "You chose...wisely."

Best line in the movie. Also love the part where it looked like Indy fell to his death. 

Archived