Lines you want to be included in S6 [Book Spoilers!]

Hos the Hostage

Not really a line, more of a scene. But Jaime burning Cersei's letter at the end of AFFC. It definitely isn't happening but man, that's one of my favorite scenes in the series. I don't know why they kept show Jaime hopelessly in love with Cersei. His Riverlands story line is incredible.

24 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

And I think it boils down to this, and it's bad for both sides, sadly enough. It couldn't be made, but someone wanted to make it anyway and then had to change so much of it to do so. It makes my brain spin.

Did you read the interview? Martin did not set out to write something unfilmable, he just didn't want to worry about budget and shit, he wanted the only limit to be that of his imagination. 

^^ This. And I'll add that this whole "Martin deliberately wrote something that would be impossible to adapt" is bollocks. That makes it sound as if he decided to write a story with that objective in mind, as if he set out to write something 'unadaptable'. And that's simply not true. As Martin himself says, he didn't want the constraints of working on a tv script - "too expensive", "too complicated", etc - because he had just spent 10 years hearing those arguments. So he went back to his first love, writing, because then the only limit is that of his imagination. 

47 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

^^ This. And I'll add that this whole "Martin deliberately wrote something that would be impossible to adapt" is bollocks. That makes it sound as if he decided to write a story with that objective in mind, as if he set out to write something 'unadaptable'. And that's simply not true. As Martin himself says, he didn't want the constraints of working on a tv script - "too expensive", "too complicated", etc - because he had just spent 10 years hearing those arguments. So he went back to his first love, writing, because then the only limit is that of his imagination. 

Martin is limited by his imagination.

When it time to adapt to TV, time and budget come back into play.

Several can state that the decisions were wrong but they still need to be made.

What exactly does time and budget have to do with "The North Remembers" being said by a no name extra and a villain, instead of a Northern Lord?  Or "the wolves will come again, I dreamed it" not in the script [so far anyway].  For that matter, what does 'time and budget' have to do with not casting Wyman Manderly.  And please, nobody tell me he's not important enough, because they could certainly have INVENTED  material that would make him important, like how they're going to give Manderly's part to the Umbers.

Time and budget has absolutely nothing at all to do with whether or not fan favorite lines are included in the show or fan favorite characters either.

The story was in no way affected by the exclusion of lines like 'only Cat' or 'fetch me a block'. The meaning of the scenes remained the same. Littlefinger still talked about the same person and Janos still lost his head. The biggest audience (show-onlies) wouldn't know either way. Wouldn't care about such minor alterations.They mean nothing. This is a nitpick to end all nitpicks.

Adaptation is about scenes, how they play out, the point of them, not a word for word reenactment of a book. That'd be boring and unnecessary.

33 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

What exactly does time and budget have to do with "The North Remembers" being said by a no name extra and a villain, instead of a Northern Lord?  Or "the wolves will come again, I dreamed it" not in the script [so far anyway].  For that matter, what does 'time and budget' have to do with not casting Wyman Manderly.  And please, nobody tell me he's not important enough, because they could certainly have INVENTED  material that would make him important, like how they're going to give Manderly's part to the Umbers.

Time and budget has absolutely nothing at all to do with whether or not fan favorite lines are included in the show or fan favorite characters either.

People are free to pick to choose lines and quotes that should of been in as they pleased.

Decisions still needed to be made.

3 hours ago, usc50 said:

Not really a line, more of a scene. But Jaime burning Cersei's letter at the end of AFFC. It definitely isn't happening but man, that's one of my favorite scenes in the series. I don't know why they kept show Jaime hopelessly in love with Cersei. His Riverlands story line is incredible.

The letter burning wouldn't be so satisfying in the show anyway since Cersei is not one tenth such a huge bith like she was in the books (and since 'The breaker of chains' I'm just not on Jaime's side against her whatever she does to him).

But I miss the Riverlands storyline too and almost every line from there should go on screen, especially when Jaime's talking to Freys.

1 hour ago, Khione said:

The story was in no way affected by the exclusion of lines like 'only Cat' or 'fetch me a block'. The meaning of the scenes remained the same. Littlefinger still talked about the same person and Janos still lost his head. The biggest audience (show-onlies) wouldn't know either way. Wouldn't care about such minor alterations.They mean nothing. This is a nitpick to end all nitpicks.

Adaptation is about scenes, how they play out, the point of them, not a word for word reenactment of a book. That'd be boring and unnecessary.

I agree. Jon beheading Slynt and Littlefinger killing Lysa are what made those lines iconic, not the other way around. How they played out in the show worked fine.

22 hours ago, usc50 said:

This.

I never liked Jaime but somehow this arrogant prick slowly grew on me and now I find myself rooting for him and wishing him the best. Sadly I dont think he will get to redeem himself in the show like he is in the books.

[mod] Let's stick to the topic, please. That topic is lines you want to see in season 6, not whether the show overall is a good or bad adaptation of the books. There are other threads for that discussion. [/mod]

18 hours ago, mormont said:

[mod] Let's stick to the topic, please. That topic is lines you want to see in season 6, not whether the show overall is a good or bad adaptation of the books. There are other threads for that discussion. [/mod]

You mean every thread?  Thank you for trying to bring some order.

Archived