Football: Fox hunt failed - Leicester are Champions!

Mexal

OK, I know no-one else cares. But Hibs just lost to Falkirk in the promotion playoff second round. In the 93rd minute of the second leg.

This is hilarious to me as a Hearts fan. I'd like to get the derby back, of course. But Hibs' season has been poised on the verge of either glorious triumph or crushing disaster for weeks. They qualified for the promotion playoffs and they're in the cup final (remember that Hibs, despite being one of the five biggest clubs in Scotland, have not won the Scottish Cup since 1902, longer than some clubs have even existed). They could have won promotion and the cup in a single season. The first part of that is now gone after four gruelling games. Now they have one week to get up off the floor and beat Rangers, who've been preparing for the match since 1 May. It's possible. But it's certainly not going to be easy.

14 hours ago, Notone said:

Podolski has not really impressed at Gala, 

Zero people should be surprised by this. 

The women's FA cup final is today - It's Arsenal V Chelsea, I think BT is showing it? 

Stuttgart have been relegated from the Bundesliga. Another recent champion could have gone too, but Werder Bremen scored an offside goal in the last five minutes against Frankfurt to put their opponents in the playoff instead.

It was not offside. I have seen 3 replays or so. But it was close, but it was not offside.

If Frankfurt loses their relegation play-off, there would be a great defender on the market with Zambrano. If anybody feels their team needs some more grit on the defense, that would be the guy to sign. Yes, he plays like a central defender version of Diego Costa, with lots of hidden fouls and there's always an elbow involved. But he is really effective and gets really under the skin of opposing forwards. Just ask Lewandowski.

The leg of Seferovic sticking backwards? Possibly, very close either way. I hadn't noticed it on first viewing. I expect the Champions League chasing clubs will be going after Stendera, even if they survive. Maybe Alex Meier will leave as well, but he stuck with them through their last relegation and is getting on a bit now. Nürnberg look pretty strong from what I have seen of them this season, so I'd say they have a better chance than any of the other 2. Bundesliga sides in recent years.

So Arsenal definitely need a #1 striker this summer, Chelsea need another very good option, City need a strong back-up striker, probably Utd too, but PSG now need a top striker and big name, and probably Real need someone too (what's Benzema's situation now?). 

Aubamayang and Lewandowski are the only top strikers guaranteed to provide goals, but neither looks likely to move.   Griezeman will be in demand.  I assume Suarez and Messi are ungettable.  Ronaldo and Neymar are in questionable contract status but both would be very complicated deals.  And any of the above would require immediate replacements anyway. 

So a game of musical chairs beckons.  If your team has a top striker/forward who looks a bit unhappy -- Sanchez, Martial?, James, Sturridge? (is he fit enough to be a target?) -- you may want to hope that some of the next tier options like Lukaku are soaking up some of that demand instead. 

16 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

So a game of musical chairs beckons.  If your team has a top striker/forward who looks a bit unhappy -- Sanchez, Martial?, James, Sturridge? (is he fit enough to be a target?) -- you may want to hope that some of the next tier options like Lukaku are soaking up some of that demand instead. 

How is Lukaku a 'next tier option' compared to any of the four players you named? He's outscored every single one of them this season and puts up those kind of numbers regularly. Given Everton's performance this season and his evident quality  and openness about wanting CL football, he's quite likely to be the most targeted striker in Europe this summer. Especially if he has a decent Euros.

17 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

How is Lukaku a 'next tier option' compared to any of the four players you named? He's outscored every single one of them this season and puts up those kind of numbers regularly. Given Everton's performance this season and his evident quality  and openness about wanting CL football, he's quite likely to be the most targeted striker in Europe this summer. Especially if he has a decent Euros.

I'd take Lukaku.

2 hours ago, Sept Sev said:

The leg of Seferovic sticking backwards? Possibly, very close either way. I hadn't noticed it on first viewing. I expect the Champions League chasing clubs will be going after Stendera, even if they survive. Maybe Alex Meier will leave as well, but he stuck with them through their last relegation and is getting on a bit now. Nürnberg look pretty strong from what I have seen of them this season, so I'd say they have a better chance than any of the other 2. Bundesliga sides in recent years.

Yep, Seferovic's foot. Really close one. The freekick leading to that goal was a bit weird however.

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

I think he's a fantastic striker but with slightly less name recognition/profile and big club cache than the others, and less experience to date of playing in high pressure situations like chasing a title or in Europe.  But I agree that he'll be heavily targeted because he should be easier to prise away and arguably has the best trajectory while three of the other four regressed a bit in the last season or two. 

I am not ready to really delve into the Newcastle relegation.  

however...

how is hatem ben arfa not on the France squad? he has 17 goals in 33 appearances and looks like a marvel. 

yet, sissoko with one goal and a lot of really bored and atrocious play makes it? 

really pleased for barca and Suarez. that is his team this year and he has looked like a god. 

Germany.  sigh. Bayern are sickening with their immense wealth and  ability to pry away any rival player they want. pep has failed there never bringing home a champions league title. 

zlatan. came like a king. left like a legend. he is a player who should have a cl title. sad to think he will leave Europe for mls so soon. it also sucks that a player like him needs certain things personally.  he isn't coming to Columbus,  dc, Vancouver, Philadelphia or any city that isn't Los Angeles, new York or Orlando.  

mls. it is my home league and I hate so much about it.  it is expanding too fast. it has bizarre rules on acquisitions. my own team is ran by a bunch of corporate dickheads who hate the supporters. 

Leicester.  wow. amazing. the greatest sports story in my lifetime without a doubt. Hollywood should get this story filmed right now. it really is something special.

so there you have my brief soccer thoughts.

13 minutes ago, MercifulChief said:

how is hatem ben arfa not on the France squad? he has 17 goals in 33 appearances and looks like a marvel. 

yet, sissoko with one goal and a lot of really bored and atrocious play makes it?

While I think it's baffling that Sissoko is in it, him and Ben Arfa aren't really contenders, are they? It's Payet, Griezmann, Martial and Coman that he's conpeting with and while you'd probably say he's had a better season than the latter two I don't think it's egregious to pick them over him, especially with an eye to the future. I don't even think Ben Arfa will be next in line, if one of them drops it'll surely be Lacazette next.

On a side note, if Martial goes to PSG after one damn season I will be very, very cross.

2 hours ago, MercifulChief said:

Zlatan came like a king. left like a legend. he is a player who should have a cl title. sad to think he will leave Europe for mls so soon. it also sucks that a player like him needs certain things personally.  he isn't coming to Columbus,  dc, Vancouver, Philadelphia or any city that isn't Los Angeles, new York or Orlando.  

mls. it is my home league and I hate so much about it.  it is expanding too fast. it has bizarre rules on acquisitions. my own team is ran by a bunch of corporate dickheads who hate the supporters. 

Leicester.  wow. amazing. the greatest sports story in my lifetime without a doubt. Hollywood should get this story filmed right now. it really is something special.

I'm not even sure if you could even put Orlando on that list. New York is possible but MLS is probably going to change the rules effective immediately to allow LA acquire him. 

I hate almost everything about the league. They are expanding way too fast and it wouldn't shock me to see if they blow past the goal of 32 teams. It kills me that they are expanding for the sake of expanding. Unless they are moving towards a pro/rel model it makes no sense. 

They need to ditch the single entity structure and turn the investor-operators into bona-fide owners. Let the teams control their own finances.  

They need to adhere to the fifa calender.

Flip the schedule to play over the winter and spring but that isn't really necessary and I'm not sure if it's possible. 

They need to either ditch the salary cap or increase the current cap by 10x. 

And they need to stop shitting on supporters. 

Did I miss anything? 

I'm sure Hollywood executives have already talked about acquiring the rights to the story.

Re: Götze, I would think there are benefits for the club that a player isn't first choice on the national team as well. Less risk of injury, fewer games per season, and possibly more motivated to do well for the club in order to get into the national squad.

Obviously, individual players handle rejection differently, so...

Archived