[Spoilers] Rant and Rave without Reprecussions - Season 6 Edition

Ran

12 minutes ago, Tijgy said:

I am probably silly that I still want to see the following scene (even after Asnas Krats moment of last week): she sees the Hound and she hugs him or something like that. And I also have to admit I am more emotionally invested to see that happen than any nice family moments between Jon and Sansa.

Oh, that's going to be big. They will play that up, as they should. Just like Jon and Arya reuniting will be so much better. They shot their Stark reunion drama on the two characters who have no connection and don't get along, they truly know nothing about telling a story. Yes, compare and contrast is a thing, but they wasted a lot of time on bad filler.

I don't like Asnas Krats, either, but I still want to see it, because it's our only chance to see something even sort of close to the books on film for a long, long time.

20 hours ago, Liver and Onions said:

It seems to me that the show's paltry attempts at Women On Top are exactly what many (incorrectly) believe feminism to be; women despising men and taking all their stuff. In some cases (ie. Dorne), it's literal murder. In the books, there is an undercurrent of feminism without feeling like an anachronism. Arya questions why she can't do certain things. "The woman is important, too." Little Cersei wonders why she can't do the things Little Jaime can, even though they're identical in every way but one. Dany wants to protect other women. Brienne makes her way in a society that seems to have no place for her. Asha shows power, courage, leadership, and compassion. Only Cersei seems to buy into the idea of trying to have power over "weak men" and other women. 

Meanwhile... I am really disgusted by Sandra. She's become the kind of character I despise in other stories. It's sad, because on the way to turning into this traitorous and horrible person she had to be shoved into a rape plot. Perhaps I should feel sorry for her. Certainly I do on a metafictional sense, because her character is so poorly written. So, there we go. Disgust and pity. 

This. They turned all the women on the show onto murderers, liars, and psychopaths (save maybe Arya and sweet, compassionate Carol), and apparently that is "empowering." Who wouldn't want their daughters growing up emulating feminist icons like the Sand Snakes and Yara Greyjoy.

By the way, I lol'ed at Kelly C's scenes last episode: "I WILL CRUCIFY THE MASTERS AND BURN THEIR CITIES" -- because that worked out so well the last time. Does she just spit out a few set catchphrases when prompted, like an action figure? She is great at setting shit on fire, but has apparently learned nothing about ruling or diplomacy...good thing she has St. Tyrion there to guide her. Yay "strong women."

Daenerys has to assume Skahaz role while Tyrion is playing Reznak, Hizdhar and the Green Grace.

By the way while the show has finally some consideration for "feminism" it's not very much into diversity, Mereen gave them 4 ghiscari roles to give to POC and only included one they killed in an heathbat, that despite vaguely keeping some kind of "who's the Harpy ?" intrigue, an interrogation that looked completely ridiculous without any suspect.

On 6/21/2016 at 5:08 PM, kissdbyfire said:

@Chebyshov, are we going to have the 2nd Annual Carol Awards?

Sorry, sorry, just saw this.

I'm hoping to! I'm trying to figure out a way to expand and make them even more dramatically satisfying, not that random images slopped onto my blog wasn't stunning, lol.

But for sure, I'll try to set something up so we can maybe bounce around category ideas and all that. I know I'd like to add "they totally earned their paycheck" for the likes of Max von Sydow and such.

7 minutes ago, Lord Freypie said:

Daenerys has to assume Skahaz role while Tyrion is playing Reznak, Hizdhar and the Green Grace.

By the way while the show has finally some consideration for "feminism" it's not very much into diversity, Mereen gave them 4 ghiscari roles to give to POC and only included one they killed in an heathbat, that despite vaguely keeping some kind of "who's the Harpy ?" intrigue, an interrogation that looked completely ridiculous without any suspect.

To be honest, I even feel discomforted by the Free Folk; There have several examples of history where even white people were considered less worthy than other because of the fact they came from a more barbaric culture. And now they treat Tormund as someone who is really stupid? The whole point of Jon's storyline was to show they were not that different from the North but on the show they are constantly turned into either cannibals or idiots.  

Just now, Chebyshov said:

I'm hoping to! I'm trying to figure out a way to expand and make them even more dramatically satisfying, not that random images slopped onto my blog wasn't stunning, lol.

But for sure, I'll try to set something up so we can maybe bounce around category ideas and all that. I know I'd like to add "they totally earned their paycheck" for the likes of Max von Sydow and such.

:D :D

Finally something regarding GoT to look out to. Last year I did not vote for the awards because I took some weeks off to cleanse myself from GoT. So I only was able to see the results :(

So is there any info regarding whether Brienne & Pod will be in the episode ? Are they really going to have them, the BwB and Jaime in the Riverlands at the same time yet pass up the opportunity to reconnect with book's arc ? 

It's more of a rhetorical question, I'm sure they will do the opposite of what would make sense.

4 minutes ago, Tijgy said:

:D :D

Finally something regarding GoT to look out to. Last year I did not vote for the awards because I took some weeks off to cleanse myself from GoT. So I only was able to see the results :(

Well I certainly can't blame you for that!

When I get a free moment I'm going to throw together a gdoc with category ideas based on last year and such and send that around. I'm gutted that "best Olly reaction shot" won't be in contention anymore :crying:.

But on the bright side we can add "Best Northern Lord's Memory."

2 minutes ago, HairGrowsBack said:

So is there any info regarding whether Brienne & Pod will be in the episode ? Are they really going to have them, the BwB and Jaime in the Riverlands at the same time yet pass up the opportunity to reconnect with book's arc ? 

It's more of a rhetorical question, I'm sure they will do the opposite of what would make sense.

I haven't heard anything about Brienne and Pod. The Arya stuff was quiet until someone said something not long ago. The Riverlands is a bit of a black hole as far as spoilers go.

22 hours ago, Sir Loin Steak said:

Littlefinger's plan is as elegant as it is ingenious! Some will have seen parts 1-16 before, I've updated for the current season.

Step 1: Seduce and exploit Lysa.

Step 26: Arrive at Winterfell completely undetected, just in the nick of time to win the battle between the Stark forces and the Boltons (at least 90% of the Stark forces should be dead at this point).

We'll have to wait till the end of the week for step 27+ but it's likely to involve Sansa not understanding leverage, because no-one in this universe understands that concept.

Excellent summary of an incomprehensible plot.

1 minute ago, Le Cygne said:

I haven't heard anything about Brienne and Pod. The Arya stuff was quiet until someone said something not long ago. The Riverlands is a bit of a black hole as far as spoilers go.

Thanks. Hopefully it's because there are lots of things going on and not only that one big event... If what we get is 69 minutes of Sandra, Saint Tyrion and Carol half the audience will fall into a coma.

Just now, HairGrowsBack said:

Thanks. Hopefully it's because there are lots of things going on and not only that one big event... If what we get is 69 minutes of Sandra, Saint Tyrion and Carol half the audience will fall into a coma.

You think we should just assume Sam is done for the year?

22 hours ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

My wish for the show is:  Hurry it up with the horribleness!!

That is JUST EXACTLY 100% how I feel at this point, as well. 

Hurry up and get it over with! Just let the Others win and march their icy spiders all over everyone while the Red Rahloo cackles off to the side. And then I want a turnip storm to drown away the last remaining book plots. 

"The night is dark, and full of turnips." (See, just like the book) 

7 hours ago, teej6 said:

The bolded part IMO is where Dany's character in the books is heading towards. She has good intentions but she is ruthless and merciless to her enemies all in the name of some ill conceived notion of justice, which is simply revenge. The more power she gets the more she demands. But stupid D&D think that if you mix the themes of power and revenge and give it to a female character that implies empowering women. Catelyn in the books has her faults but her strength is that she can see the futility of war and revenge and were it up to her she would compromise and sue for peace and that in my mind takes courage and character.  

I think Dany in the books will remain conflicted, but I do think she will perform some dark deeds, during her rise to power.

1 hour ago, Chebyshov said:

Most Wasted Actor category?  So many contenders: Alexander Siddig; Max Von Sydow; Ian McShane; Natalie Tena; James Faulkner; Art Parkinson ... (and so on)

1 hour ago, Chebyshov said:

Well I certainly can't blame you for that!

When I get a free moment I'm going to throw together a gdoc with category ideas based on last year and such and send that around. I'm gutted that "best Olly reaction shot" won't be in contention anymore :crying:.

But on the bright side we can add "Best Northern Lord's Memory."

We could replace it with: Best Man-Approval Nod.  We've got a few of those to choose from.

I would go with Tena as most wasted actor, only because the audience already had such an investment in her from the previous seasons, that to bring her back, give her a handful of lines and then kill her off was a huge waste.  It's a toss up then between Siddig and Von Sydow.

Archived